calves

I

imported_guggen

I remember Blade saying something about holding a long stretch in the bottom when you are training calves...

do you guys to this? and how long do you hold the stretch?

i can't answer that. but i can give you a tip on bringing the calves up. i have this classmate before . he's not bodybuilder but he plays basketball a lot. and the way he walks is always tip-toed. so the calf gets all the work ALL DAY. and his calves are humongous. i think it's because of the frequency.
thumbs-up.gif

so you recommen walking around on my toes all day and to start playing a lot of basketball?

anyone who can answer my first question?

I usually stretch at the bottom nearly as far as I can without running the risk of my feet slipping off the platform--which with heavier weights is not very far. I have always done it like this and have calves that are disproportionately developed (IMO) to the rest of my body.

i have seen as much as a 15 second stretch being reccommeded so start your set with that and then adjust when you can no longer take the pain of holding it any longer to shorter and shorter times.

The stretch helps make the muscle grow due to increased microtrauma caused while being elongated under load. That's my basic understanding through vicious, anyway. He or one of the more intelligent forum-goers could give you a more detailed explanation.

In any case, they are a very stubborn muscle, comprised of mainly slow-twitch fibers. They're used daily, so it's no wonder people have trouble growing them. The stretch is to increase the microtauma. It's often recommended you do them on a 2" wooden block, your heels hanging off the back. Rather than going flat-footed on a normal floor, you let your heels dip back, while pulling your toes up, so to speak. In theory, this should place them under greater stress and cause more growth.

I would not hold the stretch for fifteen seconds. Something like 3-5 seconds (no quick counting, as many do) should suffice. Higher reps are often used, as well as greater jumps in loads. People often have trouble staying ahead of the RBE with this muscle group.

On a final note, vicious often advises donkey calf raises. It's a wonderful stretch-point movement for the calves.

I agree with clthonian, I wasn't born with great calves and for years just went heavy and the usual 8-10 reps and they really never responded that well. For me what has worked has been extreme reps once i get into the 5's. For example I do my usual 2-3 sets of 5 reps then I cluster about 85 reps non stop doing drop sets and really focusing on a 1:2 conc/eccentric; I'll do this starting the 2nd week of 5's and into my 2 weeks of drops.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zoomz @ Aug. 21 2005,1:36)]I agree with clthonian, I wasn't born with great calves and for years just went heavy and the usual 8-10 reps and they really never responded that well. For me what has worked has been extreme reps once i get into the 5's. For example I do my usual 2-3 sets of 5 reps then I cluster about 85 reps non stop doing drop sets and really focusing on a 1:2 conc/eccentric; I'll do this starting the 2nd week of 5's and into my 2 weeks of drops.
"cluster about 85 reps"...

whaaaa!

Back