Which one creates more hypertrophy

First question. Which one gives higher hypertrophy
- Am/PM workout or working out 6 times a week?

Second question. Which one gives higher hypertrophy

zigzigging or working at your max until your cycle is done

Thanks a lot

There isn't an easy answer to your first question. As the FAQ says, there is the possibility that working out 6x a week might be just as effective as 3x a week twice a day. However, to be on the safe side, the second option is recommended (one day rest between workout days). Maybe 3x a week twice a day training allows for better CNS fatigue management, but I am not so sure about that. Bottom line, if you have the time, I would suggest that you try 2x a day and see how it goes. For many of us, however, this is not an option so we just choose what fits our schedule best.

Now on to your second question. HST advises that you slowly work up to your max, incrementing each and every workout if possible to stay ahead of the RBE. Failure is generally avoided so as to allow more frequent training. First work up to your 5 RM and then continue with negatives or with your 5 RM max for a couple of weeks (or maybe for several weeks if you feel your are still gaining and you are injury free of course).

I would strongly recommend that you read the FAQ. If you understand the material presented there, nearly all of your questions will be answered. Hope this helps.

Hey :)

Whether you zigzag or not is really insignificant, as long as the general trend is progressively overloading throughout the entire cycle.

As for the am/pm workout vs. 6x a week, this depends on what you actually plan to do. Assuming that reps remain pretty much the same, count the number of sets you will be doing per bodypart on your am/pm split versus your 6x a week workout.

For example:
1) Your am/pm split is arranged in an upper & lower body split, you end up having 3 sets each for upper body exercises in the am, and 3 sets each for lower body. 3 sets per upper/lower body x 3 workouts a week = 9 sets per upper/lower body exercise, which means 9-18 sets per body part (9 sets for bodyparst with only 1 exercise, 18 sets for bodyparts with 2 exercises)
2) Your 6x a week workout incorporates only fewer sets per wokout to accomodate much more frequent whole body training. So each workout, your whole body gets 1 good set per exercise. So in a week, each bodypart gets 6-12 sets.

Following the sample scenario above, you would probably be better off with the am/pm split because it allows you to train each bodypart more, assuming the setup allows you to rest adequately and you do not compromise your ability to keep up with the routine.

That's just an example. You might find in real life that the difference between the two isn't that significant when you take into account how to balance training frequency and volume for yourself in order to avoid overtraining. Also, remember that you need to eat more as you train more often, that's an important consideration you need to take into account.

Regards,
-JV

If you decide to workout at a frequency of 6 times per week, regardless of how you set it up, you absolutely MUST be eating a great deal of food.

I had to cut back my workouts to 3 times per week as I am a thin guy with a fast metabolism. I simply couldn't eat enough with my metabolism and such a high frequency workout schedule to make any gains. You're simply not going to gain weight unless you are absolutely scarfing the food like a machine.

However, if you are able to eat the proper amount of calories and protein you should do well. Remember not to lock out, especially when doing heavy weights 6 times per week as this could harm your joints. Good luck.

Back