switching routines?

I

imported_donnie

I recently started weight training. Admitedly, I am as novice as they come. Before I started i scoured the net for eating and workout recommendations. Based on those recommendations I have been working 1-2 muscle groups a day on MWF. For example, chest/arms on Mon, shoulders/back on Wed,etc.

Since then I have read that for a beginner looking to cut this is not the best routine. So, I want to give HST a whirl, but am not sure when or how I should start? Should I SD, then get my 15,10,5 rep maxes, then SD again? or should I just get my maxes and go right into it? Any ideas would be much apprieciated.

It`s nice to hear that you are interested in HST but please read FAQ and HST guide first with thought. Try to figure the method out don`t just do it by the book.

But on short terms, you find out your maxes in three different days and then you SD. During the SD you have plenty of time to read more...

welcome
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Mar. 15 2005,2:07)]It`s nice to hear that you are interested in HST but please read FAQ and HST guide first with thought. Try to figure the method out don`t just do it by the book.
I did read through the FAQ a bit, but never saw anything about switching routines. Perhaps I missed something.

Assuming I got straight into finding my rep maxes... would I start next Monday (since I lifted today) or could I start Wednesday? Does it REALLY matter?

Also, I have rotator cuff problems (former pitcher) would it be advisable to continue with my Jobe exercises even during SD. (Jobe exercises are very low weight exercises [usually with a rubber band] that strengthen the rotator cuff.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (donnie @ Mar. 15 2005,2:40)]Assuming I got straight into finding my rep maxes... would I start next Monday (since I lifted today) or could I start Wednesday? Does it REALLY matter?

Also, I have rotator cuff problems (former pitcher) would it be advisable to continue with my Jobe exercises even during SD.
:D Hi, donnie and welcome!

Deconditioning is a very important part of this program. The shortest recommended SD is 9 days and many of our experienced lifters do far more.

However, as a novice, you will get decent results from just about any kind of lifting (as long as it doesn't mess up that shoulder). If you are really a brandy new lifter, you don't have much from which to decondition, so perhaps it is a bit less imperative for you.

This is a great program for newbies, because it allows form practice in the 15's, as well as the lactic acid bath that helps to protect the joints ;)

A lot of the strength increase that happens in the beginning with any unaccustomed motion has to do with "training" the nervous system. In other words, far less of your effort is actually going toward loading your muscles when you first learn a new exercise. Soooo... if you spend a lot of time changing up exercises, you spend less time putting load on the muscle, which really is the driving force in muscle growth.

I'd recommend you find you like and stick with them, unless your joints insist that you switch (pain is always a reason to change up your workout). You are unlikely to get bored for a while (this program takes a lot of concentration ;) ) and you don't need to change up exercises in order to grow, certainly not in the beginning.

Honestly, it takes a few times through this program to really get a feel for it and to put together all the science and let go of a few cherished gym myths. So, put together a sound plan and try to stick with it. Keep reading and keep posting.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

ps/ Almost forgot: Yes! :D Keep up those RC exercises. They make a great warm up once you get to the heavier weights. If your shoulder complains about a particular exercise (overhead presses for example), drop it and find an alternative. There is NO must-do exercises, not even my beloved deadlifts.

Besides what our lady Kate has said let me add that as a beginner you might be better served to use the exercises that Bryan has in the example, these are very easy to learn but load the tissue adequately, except as Kate mentioned with your shoulder problems, find an exercise that doesn't aggrevate it as the military or shoulder presses might.

Good Luck

Back