Cluster?

the_dark_master

Never could get my head around the idea that you should "cluster" your reps to attain the desired set total (using sub maximal weights within a rep range/max) I have always favoured "straight sets" in the belief that I should be able to do say 10 reps with a weight that is a % of my 10rm, from start to finish - without stopping.
Enter rest-pause (along the lines of super squats etc)
In a bid to increase, ahm, intensity i'm setting up my next cycle along the lines of 10rm for the 15's & 5rm/5's with a view to using one set per exercise. I'll probably set the 5's up by just running the 5/10% increments on for a couple of weeks.
Box Squats/Inc bench will have the ol' 24kg of chains factored into the weight on the bar. This should have the effect of easing the weak points into this type of loading.
Other ex's will be chest supported low-pulley row, seated DB press and for 2 weeks (end of 10's/start of 5's) tri pushdowns/seated OH extensions and EZ curls/Conc. curls.
Anyone who's used this type of regime, feel free to chip in with comments/advice etc...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have always favoured "straight sets" in the belief that I should be able to do say 10 reps with a weight that is a % of my 10rm, from start to finish - without stopping.
Clustering doesn't mean you'll have to. It means after your 10th rep, you still go on until you are near failure. Then stop for a while and resume until you get close to failure again or hit your target rep which may be 20. In effect, you are actually doing more compared to a "straight set", at least until you reach your goal, in which case you'll have achieved the same number of reps anyway.

Jv got it. With clustering, you don't just break your set up into arbitrary sets. You don't stop your set for no reason. You only stop when you are a couple reps from failure or so, then you rest a bit and resume.

...In effect, you are actually doing more compared to a "straight set"
WTF? doing a straight set of 10 reps is less demanding than clustering up to 10 reps?
You only stop when you are a couple reps from failure or so, then you rest a bit and resume
What? failure; when you're at sub RM loads? - get a grip, hard work never hurt anyone. That's the trouble with all these namby-pamby clusterist proponants - lets allow science to "soften" workouts so we don't get all hot & sweaty & tired out.
Jeez, Louie'd piss his pants laughing...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_dark_master @ Dec. 18 2005,3:48)]WTF? doing a straight set of 10 reps is less demanding than clustering up to 10 reps?

What? failure; when you're at sub RM loads? - get a grip, hard work never hurt anyone.
No one has said you cluster up to 10 reps. That would be foolish and worse than just doing straight sets.

You take your highest volume of the entire cycle and maintain that same amount of volume.

For instance;

Say you do 2 sets during your 10's and 5's.
That is 20 reps for your 10's and 10 for the 5's.
With Clustering you would keep your total reps the same throughout, so let's say 20, since it's the highest.

So for the 10's it might look like

First workout-Submax 10's
15 reps set 1
5 reps set 2

Last workout of 10's- 10 RM

10 reps set 1
7 reps set 2
3 reps set 3

Now during the 5's
First workout-Submax 5's
10 reps set 1
7 reps set 2
3 reps set 3

Last workout of 5's-5RM

5 reps set 1
4 reps set 2
4 reps set 3
3 reps set 4
3 reps set 5
1 rep set 6

Clustering actually addresses your concerns two ways.
1. During the submax portion you do more continuous reps for the first set or even 2 nd set that you would with traditional straight sets. Making each subsequent set more difficult and giving you that HARD WORK feeling.

2. The amount of work is maintained, (actually increased versus straight sets where you drop volume in the heavier weights), through the entire cycle.

Anyway that's the way I did it when I clustered.

BTW, built anything interesting lately?

Funny you should ask - yes, a loadable "Caber" for my Brother-in-law

It consisted of a 219Dia x 1.1m tube, with a 10thk cap plate flush welded to one end. Although it doesn't replicate the feel of a proper caber 100%, it does allow progressive loading and practicing of the "shouldering/pull/release" phase (by taking it to the beach - loading with sand (either wet or dry) - throwing it about - emptying it and going home)

BIL is 6.4"/240 and an ex oly shot/discus competitor - Ha, he was truly humbled by my "tyre" sled and the caber...

I did suggest that next thing to make was a plate loaded "wheelbarrow" (take-down A-frame style, for transporting around) so he could WSB; push/lift & drag all at once...

Although I really need to make some adjustable dip bars, ala Ironmind's latest catalogue.

Mmm, welding.

Or some large dia bars E-Z/Db handles...

Back