new hst routine

thehamma

I have done 4 hst cycles now and still lovin it. However, for this upcoming cycle I would like to freshen things up a little bit and try hst from a different perspective. I would appreciate if some of the guys who have "been around the block" could post their favorite routines. Please be very specific.

thanks,
thehamma

May I ask what have your results been, both mass and strength-wise? Thanks.

As I posted in the results thread, my last three bulking cycles were pretty ok, my muscle gain to fat gain ratio being 1:1.7 (I recall Jules saying something like or a bulking cycle, 1:1 is perfect, 1:2 is good, 1:3 is okay, so I guess I didn't do so badly)

My routine is pretty simple:
* Bench
* Deadlifts
* Rows
* (only as burn sets) curls and skullcrushers.

When I get to 5 RM, I add a burn set to the bench and the rows.

Frequency - I train everyday.
Volume - I generally do 2 sets of the bench and rows, only 1 set for the deadlift. For the burn sets, I usually only do one set each exercise.
Duration - my workouts usually last only 30-45 minutes (no surprise there considering I have very few exercises).

Oh, and please do squats if you can. I simply can't because I train at home, have no partner, and have no power rack.

Regards,
-JV

Jv is that 2 sets for chest and back including burn set or no burn set.
ie)
Chest 2 sets 5 reps followed by burn set :confused:
Or Chest 1 set 5 reps followed by burn set?

5 days a week or 7 days a week of training???

You must eat like a horse or does the lower volume help with that?

Thanks
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jv is that 2 sets for chest and back including burn set or no burn set.
2 sets chest + burn set (when heavy), 2 sets rows + burn set (when heavy).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5 days a week or 7 days a week of training???
Everyday literally so 7 days. Sometimes I miss a day or two, but it doesn't bother me much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You must eat like a horse or does the lower volume help with that?
Yes, I eat a lot. Not really a horse though. A little over 20x my bodyweight everyday only. Not sure if it's "lower volume" though as I'm already doing as much as I can (at least as accurately as I can gauge, also considering my high-stress job) - that's 14 sets of bench and 14 sets of rows (not counting burn sets), burn sets for my arms, and 7 sets (or 14 sets in case of 5RM, as I do two sets of 5) of deadlift a week (oh, and I do a shrug at the top of my deads - I pause for a second then shrug the weight with my head bent down, then lower back down to the deadlift's top position, pause again for a sec, then finish the deadlift rep by lowering the weight down ot the ground slowly)

Thats cool and interesting routine.

Yeah I didnt mean lower volume...I guess more like adjusted volume for everyday...still that sounds like one hell of a killer workout. Also sounds fun to try.

When i get a home gym in about 2 years i would love to try something like that...just not realistic with career and family and having drive to gym.

Are eating clean??? I would guess you could eat basically whatever you want as long as you got your meet potatoes and protein in. I am thinking you have not problem staying lean???

What does your stats look like and improvements?

Really is and interesting workout!!!

I have tried several workouts as 3, 4 or even 5 day a week.
I gain the best with a 3 days workout

somethimes I swits with the rep schema to make it more fun. At the moment I do 15,10,10,6,6,5 rep scheme. I do this for several weeks already

My exercises:
deadlift/squat
chinning
dips
press
armwork
abwork

Thanks guys, keep them comin.

Jvroig, how are your strength gains and joints holding up doing the same exercises everyday? Sometimes that becomes a problem for me doing the same exercises everyday when I start doing heavy weights.

thanks,
thehamma

Same here Hamma.

I noticed my tendons were a little sore...but then again now that I think about it the only tendon that was sore was my previos injured shoulder...so if you were perfectly healthy...it prob is not a big deal?:confused:

"dang why cant i just wake up and be 205 and 5% bodyfat?:confused:"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jvroig, how are your strength gains and joints holding up doing the same exercises everyday? Sometimes that becomes a problem for me doing the same exercises everyday when I start doing heavy weights.

For the past months, since fully recovering from a minor shoulder injury (right shoulder) due to astoundingly poor bench press form two years ago, I have been experiencing no joint problems at all. I don't really like changing my exercises, so it's no problem personally for me. If it really is a probelm for you, then you can do alternating exercises I guess. Like alternating squats with deads, dips with bench, chins with rows, something like that. The idea though is to still stick with the biggest core exercises available to you.

My strength gains are pretty good, actually! I'm pretty hyped about it. For example, just last cycle, I marked down what my absolute 8RM was for my bench press. But on my cycle right now, I added 5 pounds to my 8RM last cycle, and did 10 reps! If I wanted to, I believe I could have pushed it to one more complete rep (making it my 11RM or something), but since I train at home, alone (absolutely no partner), I don't like pushing my luck - you know one of the tenets of HST, staying injury free. :D (and ever had even just a 130 or 140 pound barbell rest on your chest because you can't lift it anymore? I have, it hurts, I don't want it to happen again - for the fourth time! Hahaha, yeah, it happened a few times already when I was still a little wet behind the ears
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are eating clean???
Yes, I wash all my food before eating them :D Kidding. I simply avoid too much sat fats, and try my best to avoid trans fats like the plague. Aside from that, I take in enough protein and lots of carbs. I stay pretty lean for a long time, probably due to a mix of reasons like:
1. Fat mobilization - I take in no more than 5 -20g carbs before my morning workout (but I get in 20-30g of protein).
2. Better p-ratio - for two reasons: a.) I'm naturally lean, and b.) exercise is the best bet to changing the p-ratio to your favor, and with the high frequency of my workout, not to mention the quantity and frequency of the metabollic work I'm getting, it also doesn't hurt my p-ratio one bit

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't gain fat. As I posted earlier, the results of my bulking cycles were 1:1.71, muscle to fat, and that result is even skewed because I had a two week layoff where I had days where I ate very little (muscle loss) and had days whwre I clearly over ate chocolate and barely had protein in (muscle loss and fat gain, double whammy! ), after that two week layoff was the only time I could have my BF analyzed through BIA, and then compare it to what I was three cycles ago.

For now, I'm doing some cutting as I'm getting near to 15% BF, first time to cut since starting HST. But I'm still doing the same everyday routine. What better way to burn lots of calories and stimulate muscles than a big daily dose of deadlifts?!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back