Working the Biceps

mikey_270

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Each body part should be trained using the following exercises:

Biceps - Any single curling movement per session (switch it frequently)

This cycle I have been using barbell curls for biceps. What exactly is meant by "switch it frequently"? Does it mean subtle changes like using an ez-curl bar instead of a straight bar - or would that be enough of a change cause any benefit? Would using dumbells be enough of a change? What other exercises could be used for the biceps?

Also, how frequently should this be switched?

Thanks,

Mikey

it just means switch the exercise, in any way. Right now I'm doing Ez-Bar Bicep Curl one day, then EZ-Bar Reverse Curl the next workout. You don't need that drasstic, but just make it different in any way and it'll shake thing up.

Be carefull when you switch excersises. The new excersise should at least put as much strain on the muscle than the previous or else you have the RBE problem even if you increase the weight.

My favorite are db curls sitting on an incline bench. It stretches the biceps more than ez-curls or barbell curls.

By the way I don't think it is nessesary to switch excersises during a cycle.

Unless you are having issues with an exercise, don't change them mid cycle. Wait until next time and do it then if you feel you need to.

In my experience, you don't need to change them at all. I have such limited equipment at home that I have been doing mostly the same lifts for years and I have progressed just fine.

Just my observation

what you also can do is this:

- In the 15t: EZ bar

- last week of the 10th and in the 5th's you can do hammer or another one what you like.

What do you know..sounds like I've been rotating my bicep exercise all along.
At my gym, they have barbells that already have the weight built onto to the bar.
These barbells increase in increments of 5, with the weight ending 0 being flat bars and the weights ending in 5's being flat bars.

I have been meaning to ask for awhile, do you all find the preacher curl bars easier to lift than the flat bars?
When I'm doing 65 pounds on the curl bar as opposed to 60 pounds on the flat bar, I find the 65 pound curl bar easier to get a grip and lift.

I guess since I've been rotating this whole while, I won't need to, or it won't be necessary, to make any changes for my bicep exercise come next cycle?

I can't do curls with a straight bar anymore. It just kills my forearms. Just feels like it's stretching something way too much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bodyguard @ July 03 2004,5:39)]- In the 15t: EZ bar
- last week of the 10th and in the 5th's you can do hammer or another one what you like.
thumbs-up.gif
Exactly what I like to do!

Steve is right. Switching up biceps exercise has more to do with preventing over use injuries than it does growing more muscle.

hi doods,

for the 15s and early 10s, i'm thinking of chins [machine] doing the bicep work and during late 10s and so on, i'll move on to incline curls. is that okay?
blush.gif

others do ez curls during 15s and early tens but for some injury reason i can't do normal curls (for the left hand) and can't do hammers for the right hand. talk about imbalance..

laugh.gif

Straight bars kill my wrists, especially on the preacher curls, you gotta remember that you are the best tool when it comes to finding out the best exercises, i mean if something hurts, and not a muscle burning sensation, it would be wise to stop.

are chin up considered a bicep workout as well as lats workout ?

with palms facing each other , or palms facing yourself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Louno @ April 29 2005,1:41)]are chin up considered a bicep workout as well as lats workout ?
with palms facing each other , or palms facing yourself.
They both hit the biceps, I would think palms facing you more so. Any exercise where you bend the arm on the concentric uses the biceps.

i know they hit the biceps, but i was wondering if they could be considered a bicep exercises,
how about on a seated pullup/chinup cable machine ?

Back