How long do YOU train for?

KD123

I'm relatively new to HST and I was just wondering: how long you should train during one session in the gym using the HST programme ?
the reason i ask is because i recall an article in the bodybuilding.com site which said that it is not advisable to train at a high intensity for more than 45 min because this would boost cortisol levels in the body.

by the way this is my 1st post on the forum so 'WASSUP' to all y'all bodybuilders
sneaky2.gif

Well currently i'm only in the gym for about 15 minutes 6xweek. That would equal ~30minutes 3xweek, which is not much at all.

I keep my routine simple and coumpound based, with emphasist on certain bodyparts some things change, and i superset alot. I superset chest and back, arms, legs + calves, anywhere i can skimp. I just like to be all business when i'm in the gym. Today i went and was only there for 13 minutes. I'm not rushing myself at all or watching the clock either, it just happened to be for only 13 minutes.

I usually go for about 30 - 40 minutes, though sometimes I can go up to 45 mins to 1 hour. Depends on what rep range I'm working in and what my routine looks like. Doing negatives, for instance, takes longer than other rep ranges.

But I think a general guideline is around 30 minutes. Don't sweat it too much though. Also, I recommend, just as Lance stated, to superset.

I superset exercises as well, which makes the 15's and even the 10's go quick since there are less sets and the shorter rest in between concurrent sets. During the 15's it would take me as short as a half hour to do my workout (3x/week.) The 10's would last anywhere between 35-45 minutes, and the 5's have even lasted as long as 55 minutes. I went by the protocols and did 1 minute of rest in between concurrent sets during the 15's, 1.5 minutes for the 10's, and 2 for the 5's.

-Colby

During my first three HST cycles, my workouts took roughly an hour, depending on how crowded the gym was. I was doing 18-24 sets three times a week. Often felt really wiped out at the end of each session.

I'm just starting my fourth cycle, focusing almost exclusively on big compound lifts. I'm doing two sets of four exercises six times a week. Each workout only takes about twenty minutes. I feel fresh and strong from beginning to end because it's so short. LOVE it!

Well, I am a recovering over trainer. I used to got for 2 hours/5 x a week (years back) Now 45m to 1:15 when I train once a day --more like 45 & 30 min when I go twice a day. I find what makes work outs longer are the "burn sets" in the 5s and negs. Maybe I am still overdoing it....... :confused:

Bob

depending on where i am in my cycle between 40 minutes and an hour. seems about right.

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman

About an hour, including warmup. I would have a very hard time getting down to 15 minutes...even without warmup. :)

/ R

Can U really work out fully in 45 min. ? I currently perform 10 exercises (most of which are compound) and it takes about 1.5 hours. I perform :
Squats [alt. leg press],
SLDLs [alt. deadlift],
shrugs,
calf raises,
lat pulldown,
seated row,
flat bench [alt. incline bench],
dips [alt. shoulder press],
tric. ext.,
bic. curls,

any advice on how to shorten this routine?

KD, I see you're doing two exercises each for back and chest. I'd trim back to just one each. You can alternate those movements on an every-other-workout basis if you really want to do all of 'em.

Also, if you're training for 1.5 hours, I suspect your volume is excessive. Unless you're doing metabolic work during the fives or post-fives, you shouldn't be doing more than two sets per exercise--eight movements at the most.

And yeah, you can get a thorough workout in 45 minutes. Hell, you can get a great workout in 20 minutes! But that's fodder for another thread. ;)

Hey :)

It generally takes me 20-40 minutes. The heavier, the longer it takes due to rest time. The earlier I am in the cycle, the faster I go through each exercise because I don't need so much rest.

I agree with grip strength I find talking is the biggest time eater. Sure you can through around one liners -- but "chats" really add to the time. and you have to avoid those people.

:confused: bob

is there any problem (in terms of muscle performance,hypertrophy.....etc.) with training for such a long period of time (ie. 1.5 hrs)?

Like I explained in my PM to you. I doubt you are working this entire time as the working time for 2 sets of 9 exercises is only about 14 minutes (give or take based on rep speeds and RM phase).

Something else is causing the delay, equipment readiness, flirting with the hardbodies or something. If your rest periods are truly only 3 minutes your time in the gym shouldn't be but around 40 minutes or so.

Reexamine what it is you are doing in the gym and how much time is spent working out vs. standing around (doing whatever).

If it's equipment issues, maybe change exercises. If it's too crowded, change the time of day you workout.

Dan

i do 45 to 60 mins weights an 30 mins cardio
i have a pre and post shake..and before i start cardio i have a glucose dextrose drink 400ml

Back