Flexing Between Sets

MicroBerto

I like to mess around and flex in the mirror, and was googling for some flexing stuff. I then stumbled on this article from teenbodybuilding.com:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/james17.htm

For the past 2 workouts I've done this - I've flexed for 30 seconds after my final set of something, and I kind of like it - it brings a crazy pump to the muscles being flexed.

Is this something that is recommended with HST? Does anyone else have experience with it or comments?

As of now I'm going to continue to do it. Thanks

Flexing between sets is okay and a good practice to continue. It not only increases metabolic demand on the muscle, but helps with learning muscle control and improving muscle appearance (clarity, sharpness, etc...).

They used to recommend it back in the day (if you watch pumpn iron or read an old gym book they rekon its great). Its was suppose to bring out striations etc, maybe alright to do, but your not gona put any extra weight on doing it and unless uv got no body fat you aint gona see any extra lines (if that even works). Would help with competition poses tho

Hmm, well I'm going to stick with it and see what happens. I'll be my own guinea pig. The possible results sound like something I'd like to achieve.

Wouldnt recommend doin it in the gym, you might get jumped by a jellous gang of fat people!!

Actually, it's a bit embarrassing!

I am not a really big guy compared to some others, and i kinda don't like sitting there flexing my arms for 30 seconds in the mirror. I try to find ways to change it up and mask it. Hahaha

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=283;hl=occlusion;st=20

Quote (Dood @ Dec. 03 2002,7:57)
I'm wondering if holding and focusing on "peak contraction" in the last rep of a set, and/or flexing and holding a contraction after a set would recreate the occlusion effects in the study? I know that sometimes if I don't really "feel" a set, if I flex and hold a contraction it increases the pump, but am I really doing anything to increase hypertrophy? My interpretation of this discussion is that maybe I am.

Sure you are. As was mentioned earlier, if you can increase the level of metabolic byproducts, decrease the pH and increase the level of oxygen radicals you will "help" to stimulate hypertrophy. However, this is not sufficient to elicit significant hypertrophy in the absence of progressive loading. In other words, flexing your muscles until they really burn won't really make you grow all that well. But combine it with progressive load and you will facilitate growth.

--------------

Won't flexing be taxing on the CNS..?

I realise that it won't cause any p38 activity as there's no strain, and that the active contraction causes decreased pH, oxgen radicals, metabolic activity etc...but it doesn't seem like it will do much other than flush the muscle with blood...which happens when you work out anyway.

Back