Four questions

I

imported_gazz

I was going to give HST a go last year but couldnt get my head around not training to failure. Decided now to give it a good chance & I think I'm sorted except for:

1. I'm going to do an upper/lower split, training everyday. The standard model is built around a three w/o per week with each rep period lasting 2 weeks (6 w/o per bodypart). Training everyday on a two way split would facilitate 7 hits per bodypart in a two week period. Should I do this or maybe have only 6 hits per bodypart per fortnight and take the last two days of each rep period off (following my max workout for that rep range)

2. I'm going to use 3 exercises per bodypart (1 set each). Should I work say chest 3 sets & then move on to back, or is it best to alternate eg dips,chins,Bench Press, Bent rows etc.

3. I've established my maximum weights for 15 reps using a controlled cadence. Should I increase this max slightly as the target for the last workout of my first fortnight or just aim to repeat the same weight as a maximum effort and save the increases for future cycles eg max bench established at 15X90Kg, should I aim to hit 90 Kg at the end of the fortnight o maybe aim for 92.5Kg.

4. Having tested for maxes on 15's, do I really need to test for maxes on 10's (I'm itching to get started!). I have trained for many years and have a good idea where the 10's & 5's would fall & also I can use info gleened from the 15's.

Sorry its longwinded but advice would be welcomed.

Gazz

1. 6 bouts per bodypart is sufficient per block. take the extra day off where ever is most advantageous.

2. I personally like to go back and forth each set. It allows the antagonist muscle group to rest inbetween. I would also suggest that you not use 3 exercises on every bodypart. Back takes 3, chest 2, shoulders 2 and everything else will be adequately hit with 1 exercise.

3. Just aim to hit your tested max. If you rep over on the last workout for a given rep range, no problem. Add weight the next cycle. Be conservative when establishing your maxes.

4. Knowing your maxes helps, but it isn't absolutely necessary if you can estimate them accurately. Just be conservative. Remember, its progressive load that we are after, not fatigue.

Bryan,

considering I am not working my legs, would it be acceptable to have 2 exercises for tric and 2 for bis as well?

I was wondering one thing about volume
and still haven't decided
what is recommened (I know it is still personal thing)
if volume should stay the same during whole HST cycle

eg during 15 - 2 sets per bodypart = 30 reps per workout per bodypart
during 10 - 3 sets per bodypart = 30 reps
and during 5 - 6 sets = 30 reps

or volume should decrease as weight get heavier ?
THX in advance

Back