i wanna ask!!!

Ghetto2k4

do i need to do a full body workout or can i do like two diff workouts on mon,wed,fri?? b/c i just started HST im doin it like this:

Monday - chest,shoulders,triceps

Wednesday - Back,Biceps

Friday - Legs,calves

This doesn't coincide with the Principle of frequency, you will only be hitting each muscle group once per week, it's not enough frequency to keep the positive aspects of hypertrophy going.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ghetto2k4 @ Sep. 30 2004,1:18)]so..i got to do a full body workout on mon,wed,fri then right
You can do whatever you wish, but in order to acheive the best results, YES full body at least 3X a week. Doesn't have to be Mon, Wens, Fri, it could be Wens, Fri, Sun

wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ Sep. 30 2004,5
wow.gif
7)]Hi Ghetto2k4,
Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum ?
HST for Dummies
After reading that post IF you have any questions just ask :)
Hi,
I'm new to HST, even weight lifting, never had time before...work...work...work. Now retired and want to gain bulk, definition. I'm told by the pros at my club that people my age (63) cannot gain bulk, definition. Does someone have any advice for me...should I begin an HST program or will it be a waste of my time because of my age?? If you think I can gain bulk, definition do I need to do something different because of my age. I am in good physical condition.
Thank you for your comments.

Dont listen to 'pros' at your club, well maybe not for anything.

at your age, you cannot gain as much size or definition as a younger person, but you can significantly improve over and above what you are now, and also utterly improve your quality of life (or most importantly, maintain it as you age)

You can still do the sample HST cycle as set out in the main article section, but I would stick to higher reps (or multiple submaximal sets) to start with, while you learn the movements, let the body adjust to the changes in loading (lifting weights is soo different). maybe do just the 15/10 sections, and then take a break and repeat, jsut to get everything flowing perfectly. Then as you learn more, you can do down in reps, just take careful notice of any complaints that your body gives, because even with you being in good shape, your joints after a lifetime of use can be hamemred by heavier training.
Weight training is the absolute best method to maintain strength and muscle mass well into the older age bracket and good luck with the future training.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Given my age will supplements be something that I will need? I have to admit I don't eat as well as I should, by that I mean as much protein, I typically eat very small portions mostly salads, baked potatoes. Where can I find out how much I need to intake to make sure that I am meeting all of the nutritional requirements to grow. I have read that Creatine Monohydrate increases strength, power and muscular size, but I don't want to spend money foolishly.

At your age, try to get adequate protein ~1g for every lb you weigh, if its not quite on dont worry, as long as its within a 20-30g or so, or above either way is fine.
Make sure you get a good variety of foods, fruits veges etc. I take it you eat some red meat, which can be useful, but not absolutely essential.
A multivitamin may be useful as well, as there is age related declines in the ability to digest some of the vitmains in their natural form (b12 being the predominant example), and it will help cover any short fall.

To gain weight, you have to eat enough, so adding in food thru liquid means is good, milk etc is an option. Just try to eat enough:)

at this stage, other than a multi, there may be not muhc use for a supplement. Protein powder is a simple means of raising your protein intake, but its not essential.
Creatine can be useful, but I wouldnt bother with it until you are thru the intial stages of training.

wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OldbutEager @ Oct. 06 2004,6
wow.gif
1)]Thanks Aaron. Given my age will supplements be something that I will need? I have to admit I don't eat as well as I should, by that I mean as much protein, I typically eat very small portions mostly salads, baked potatoes. Where can I find out how much I need to intake to make sure that I am meeting all of the nutritional requirements to grow. I have read that Creatine Monohydrate increases strength, power and muscular size, but I don't want to spend money foolishly.
I’m not disagreeing with you.
However, Why?
I would believe he should start Creatine ASAP .
After all the articles I’ve read on Creatine I haven’t read anything that would indicate that it was age dependent.
Moreover, I would stand to believe that it would be very beneficial to anyone especially at his age.

Back