lost my size, where did it go?

ksteensma

Due to a vacation and 2 weeks sick and work demands, I have'nt worked out in 5 weeks. I have really lost gains in size that took at least 12 months to put on. Why? I had been working out for 2 and a half years without fail.
Its kind of demoralizing for this to happen.
Is there something I can do to maintain the size when I cannot give it my undivided attention?
Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Some of what you lost is just inflamation, it will come back quickly

you could have done bodyweight exersises just for maintenance

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ksteensma @ May 04 2004,4:50)]Due to a vacation and 2 weeks sick and work demands, I have'nt worked out in 5 weeks. I have really lost gains in size that took at least 12 months to put on. Why? I had been working out for 2 and a half years without fail.
Its kind of demoralizing for this to happen.
Is there something I can do to maintain the size when I cannot give it my undivided attention?
Thanks in advance, Kevin.
Hi kevin,

Keep in mind tha muscular hypertorphy is an adapttion to a new environment. As such, when the environment changes back to the way it was before, the muscle will return to the way it was before.

It takes quite a few years to get muscle that does not go away. You have to train long enough fro enough new fibers to form that once they have all returned to their normal size, the fact that there are now more of them allows the overall size of the muscle to remain larger than it was before you started lifting weights.

Thank you all for the answers. Due to my vacation and illness, I lost about 8 pounds, and my diet was minimal at best.
I found it interesting, My triceps, which were nicely developed did not loose as much as my biceps, which are not so good. I also lost alot in the upper chest area, but my traps are still looking good.

To help maintain, if this were to happen again, would say 1 whole body work-out once a week help to maintain, or would this be a waste. Obviously this work out would be only at 80% or so.
By the way my body weight is only 158 after the loss.

Back