Opinions: Diet (Weight Loss) Specific Training

Lars

I was thinking that the next step in making HST the "one stop solution" to all aspects of bodybuilding would be something like DST (Diet Specific Training) or WLST (Weight Loss Specific Training). This, along with HST and SST, could be a killer combo in my view!

So...any views on this ? Anyone up for a forum to discuss only diet related aspects of HST ? I know I would love to see what other people have come up with and compare to my own stuff!

Weight loss is mostly diet and cardio combined, you can't really "tune" your program for weight loss. This kind of goes along with the "high reps for toning muscles" myth.

You can add some intensity boosters to make you sweat more during a workout, which aids in fat loss (ie, circuits, short rest times).

I still think it's important to have a good backbone of strength training while doing some (I'm not one of the "lots of cardio"-believers, since I know you can lose a lot without cardio;)) cardio. It's mostly about calories in vs calories out, and proper weight training can produce great results combined with a good diet.

By the way - who says DST (or whatever) couldn't incorporate some HIIT or something ?

I think it would be good, since there are sooooo many Myths on fat loss. I am also a non cardio believer, I do it for warm up but that's about it.

Actually Lars, I lost the most fat, when I got down to under 9% @ 149 Lbs, while doing HIT, not exactly HIIT, but intense just the same.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lars @ July 27 2004,8:01)]I still think it's important to have a good backbone of strength training while doing some...cardio.
That would be SST really, instead of DST.

You sure ? How about this quote from Lyle when I asked about UD2.0 and HST on his board ?

lylemcd said:
UD2 uses HST principles in its workout setup.

Lyle

So...seems it could even be UD2.0. Or it could be CKD. Or it could be...?...Personally I don't really give any animal's hind parts about my strength progress. I do 200kg x 5 in squats and I can easily bench my bodyweight (even though my BF is around 17%) for reps. I just want to get down to 1 figure BF for the first time in my life (been around 10-ish).

We have foras for nutrition, adding muscle, adding strength, setting up workouts, but...nothing for reducing bodyfat. It just strikes me as somewhat strange, that's all. But, I'm happy to do my fat loss research over at the bromo crowd if I'm one of the few people who really wants somewhere to discuss weight loss ;)

i think its a good idea. A lot of this board assumes everyone is mainly after just huge muscles, as its HST, but i personally amy trying for a leaner look, using HST to preserve muscle.

I've always found it hard to lose weight, although it may seem pretty simple to other people, i do think there should be a section devoted to it, as actually i've been looking elsewhere for info, when i think this site could be a hub of information for everyone, as well as promoting HST at the same time.

So yes! great idea.

Dieting is just a combination of training and a sensible calorie deficit. My training doesnt change whether Im dieting or not, just my nutrition and cardio. We already have a training forum and a nutrition forum. I dont know what exactly there would be to talk about to fill a new forum that hasnt been mentioned already in the training and nutrition forums (and the FAQ).

i do see paulys point about there maybe not being enough to talk about on the topic of weight loss, especially as there is a diet section. But i also feel that for some, diet isnt enough to lose weight, and so discussions into forms of cardio, HIIT or doing HST in circuits could be introduced. Maybe it is already all in the general training section already, but it would easier to find if it was in its own section and also newcomers could easily browse to that section if weight loss was something they wanted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pauly @ July 28 2004,9:01)]Dieting is just a combination of training and a sensible calorie deficit. My training doesnt change whether Im dieting or not, just my nutrition and cardio. We already have a training forum and a nutrition forum. I dont know what exactly there would be to talk about to fill a new forum that hasnt been mentioned already in the training and nutrition forums (and the FAQ).
Pauly,

I see your point, but...Adding muscle is just a question about training and a sensible surplus of muscle. Still, there's a lot of tweaking and optimizing of that formula (HST, for one). I do believe there are lots of smart things one can do with regards to diets, too.

Also, remember that there's a section for home exercise equipment. I would imagine that there are fewer people who needs serious help there than with their dieting ;)

I think the greatest effect that would have is making this site have more mass-appeal. Because weight-loss is a much more sought-after goal than muscle gain.

However I don't think it's necessary. Whether bulking or dieting, a person seeks to maximize lean mass by creating a frequent growth stimulus. HST already does that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ July 28 2004,7:45)]...Whether bulking or dieting, a person seeks to maximize lean mass by creating a frequent growth stimulus. HST already does that.
What he said.
thumbs-up.gif

Here are two pretty good diets:

I dont' know that you'll find them in any book but ......

Cutting:
On Workout days calories should be eaten at maintenance level
On non Workout days calories should be eaten below maintenance level
Cardio: six times a week

Bulking:
On WO days calories should be eaten above maintenance level
On non WO days calories should be eaten at maintenance level
Cardio: a couple times a week

When your pants no longer fit start cutting phase
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ July 30 2004,12:51)]Here are two pretty good diets:
I dont' know that you'll find them in any book but ......
Cutting:
On Workout days calories should be eaten at maintenance level
On non Workout days calories should be eaten below maintenance level
Cardio: six times a week
Bulking:
On WO days calories should be eaten above maintenance level
On non WO days calories should be eaten at maintenance level
Cardio: a couple times a week
When your pants no longer fit start cutting phase
thumbs-up.gif
Yes, this is true. But I personally think all in the world one has to do is carb cylcle. High Carbs on the 3 workout days, and low and no on the non-workout days.

But for those that dont konw what that is, here ya go for a simple version. Lets say you workout mon,wed, fri

Bulk and cut at slow pace, but at same time.

mon +600 cals
tues -500
wed +600
thur -250
fri- +500
sat +250
Sun -500

total for week- +700
This could also incorporate fat loss. This would rather be a slow method of muscle gain and fat loss. This is for those geared towards muscle gain, but some fat loss. Just have your week end up in negatives or below maintence for this geared towards fat loss.

That, I belive is one of the better ways to do a diet. I will be doing carb cycling in about 6 weeks when I begin my HST cycle.

Back