Squatting without rack, pins etc.

supergaijin

My local gym has a smith machine which I have been using for squats. I was wanting to get back to free squats but don't know how to get a loaded bar from the ground to my shoulders.
This gym doesn't have a rack or elevated pins to set up the bar. The best thing I can think of is loading the bar from the benchpress rack and getting a couple of people to help lifting it over my head.
Has anyone out there overcome a similar problem?
Cheers.

Stick to Smith Squats for safety reasons. Trying to hoist up heavy weights is one thing, but what do you do when your done with your set and can't get it off your shoulders? Seen it happen at the gym where I work.

If you have a partner or someone there then then can sit on your shoulders for squats - its much more comfortable and easier to get them off. I tried squatting a bar at home but to get a weight heavy enough to squat from the floor to my shoulders is dangerous, and it is hard to get it back down again. I tried using my sister, she either does a handstand from behind me and I grab her feet and she sits up, or she just hops up onto my shoulders from a stool :)

G'day supergaijin,

Ask the gym to buy a trap bar to do trap bar squats, it is a cheaper option, better on the back and safe to use.

Neville

Cheers for the replies.
I'm living out in Nagano, Japan. I can speak the language OK but I doubt I'll be successful with getting a proper rack. Will try though.

This gym is more the bikes and stairmasters infront of the telly kind of gym unfortunately. Not much sweat being broken there!

Was glad to at least find a Smith machine and a couple of benches. I'm fairly new to lifting, am conscious of form over poundage- hopefully the Smith machine will see me right.

Starting my first cycle in about 1.5hrs. Ganbaru-zo!

You could also try dumbell squats, duck squats, or (if you're daring) you could try to do front squats by using a 'clean & jerk' movement to get the bar into position. Start with no weight and work your way up.

I can only imagine you, out in Japan, in this nautilus gym, doing a clean and jerk. Everyone would be staring at you like you were a freak.
laugh.gif

Back