How many reps?

Nitwit

In the begining of a 2 week cycle, when you are well below your 10 or 15 rep max, do you stop at 10 or 15 reps or do you do more and get closer to failure?

Up to you! I like to keep the reps going if the weight feels light, particularly at the start of the 15s. You are after a real burn so just keep the reps going but stop short of failure. As an alternative to higher reps you could try slowing the rep cadence down a bit.

If you are doing a couple of sets per exercise for 10s you may want to do a few more reps on the second set rather than push too far on the first.

At the beginning of 5s I tend to do a few more reps for each set too and drop down to 5 for the second week as I approach my 5RMs.

I see, because I just started my first week of 5's, and I can probably do 10 reps of the weight im using. I was wondering if goin past 5 reps would violate the way HST works.

If at the start of 5s you are a few workouts away from using the same weight that you used for your 10RM just do 3 sets of 7 or 2 sets of 10 again. Whatever feels good for you. I personally find it's quite a good idea to give my CNS a breather after the 10RM w/o. Dropping to 3 sets of 5 (or 6 or 7) with a slightly lighter weight really helps me to recover well. Then, as I approach my 5RMs I can really go for it.

If you think about it, the TUT for 2 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 7 is about the same but the second option is a lot kinder on your CNS when you are using a weight at or near your 10RM. Of course, the second option reduces the metabolic effect on the muscle which is why its a good idea to add drop sets (partials, etc.) once the increasing loads force you to drop the rep range to 5 or below and for negs.

Hope that makes sense?

How does a 2 week cycle fit into the HST proven method?
It doesn’t !
If you want to do it by the HST method …..Then ..
Do 3 weeks of 15, 2 weeks of 10, 1 week of 5 and 1 week of negatives. And if negative are not an option, continue with an additional week of 5 .
Then take 10 the 14 days off, up the weight and start all over again .
Most likely to didn’t work out your RM or you would not be able to do many more reps.
Don’t try to change something that works.
Just follow the plan and stick to it for two or three cycles .
Then if you want to experiment do so!
Also read the FAQ . It will lead you in the right direction.
Two week cycle ! It ain’t going to do you much good.

Sonny

Eat a Cow save a Chicken !

Hey Sonny, I hadn't thought that Nitwit might have meant that his whole cycle was 2 weeks. Think he was referring to a micro-cycle, like the 2 weeks of 15s or the 2 weeks of 10s etc. That way his whole cycle would be 8 weeks (2 weeks 15s, 2 weeks 10s, 2 weeks 5s and 2 weeks post 5s, then re-test maxes and finally SD)

Not sure why you've said 3 weeks of 15s and 1 week of 5s though? Also, 9 days for SD is plenty when you start out unless you are a seasoned trainer. In which case 9 - 14 days may be necessary as you say.

Nitwit: As Sonny says, the FAQ is full of good advice so do give it a read.

Back