Shrugs 1*10

Military Press 1*10
Lateral raise 1*10
Rear Delt 1*10

DB curls 2*10

Tri. Extension 2*10

Calfs 2*10

abs 2*10

...I plan on doing this mon, wed, fri. and this is just an example of a 10's workout. For my first go through, i want to stick to the basic layout, but if you guys have anyone recommendations feel free to comment.

I know bryan advocates benching on a low incline, but my gym only has a fixed barbell incline bench(about 45 degrees); Would i be better off using that instead of the flat bench as far as chest development goes?

-Drew

Hey Drew welcome to HST!

I'm still learning a lot about this stuff but my take on your routine is that you can probably strip a few exercises from it.

Not sure how long you've been training but if it was me I'd do 2 sets of squats and drop one of the SLDLs if you find your lower back is taking a bit of a hammering (tends to happen in the heavy 5s).

I'd do dips instead of the incline db bench, esp. as your bench is fixed at 45 degrees.

If you can manage a progressive weight increase for chins in the 15s, great! If not, do some pulldowns. I start the 15s with pulldowns and use them right up until the 5s when I switch to weighted chins (palm under grip) and then continue with them for negs during the post 5s.

I'd also drop the extra delt work and just stick to the militaries and do two sets of those.

If you have a choice of calf machine you could alternate from w/o to w/o. Say donkeys one session and seated calf raises the next.

Do read up on getting your diet right for whether you want to bulk or cut too.

Next cycle you might want to add normal deadlifts (maybe alternate with squats?). They are brilliant!

Thanks for the advice, thats just the kind of input i was looking for
cool.gif

I should clarify that my gym DOES have an adjustable bench that i can use for incline DB press (dips tend to hurt my shoulders), just not barbell. Also i'm doing front-squats, not sure if i want to do two sets of those or two on the SLDLS.

As for shoulders, i think i'll drop the lateral raises and stick to Military Press x2 along with 1 set for rear delts.

I'll be finding my maxes starting tommorow, i hope to be out within an hour.

Thanks again,

Drew

What do guys do for Biceps and Tri's? Bryan says to switch the exercise frequently, but how would you work that into a progression?

Also, I just got done with 6 weeks of UD 2.0 (weighing about 165 right now, which is a few pounds less than what i started at but i got leaner and even got STRONGER while on the program!).

Anyway, my goal is to reach 200 pounds then cut again, so any bulking advice is appreciated since i've mostly been cutting/maintaining.

I probably come across as a "newb"(...hate that word), but i've been at it for a little over 3 years. So by no means am i an expert but i love to read about exercise and nutrition and consider myself at least knowledgeable.

I've used the 5x5, WSB, typical BB split so I look forward to seeing how HST stacks up
cool.gif

-Drew

Just got back from finding my "15" maxes. The workout took longer than i wanted it to, so i'm considering dropping the direct arm work until the 5's or at least taking it down to one set a piece.

Also, i'm doing 4 sets for back (pull-downsx2 and rowsx2) do you guys think this is too much volume? I realize this is a highly personal thing, but i still like outside input.

All in all, I enjoyed the workout but as i said before, I would really like to keep it to an hour max so any advice as to how i might accomplish that is appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

I used barbell curls until the later 10s, and started stretch points (incline db curls and skullcrushers), and my arms are up a half inch in 8 weeks.

drop the shrugs traps get worked with dl...drop the side laterals they get worked with millatery presses...do 2 sets of bench on a slight incline should work all the pecs..

not sure how i could go about doing BB bench on a slight incline as i think the flat benchs are fixed and i KNOW the incline benches are about 45 degrees....maybe i'll shove some plates under there

How about dropping arms down to one set during the 15's then increasing in the 10's and 5's?

i just use my 10rep max for arms in the 15s and tens then drop them in the 5s...chins and bench with the heavy weight of the 5s should take care of your arms..

I would reccomend using less "Shoulder Group" exercises. Just utilize the miltary press and dump the lateral raise and rear deltoid exercises.

Don't panic if the amount of exercises appears small to you; focus on quality rather than quantity.

...You may also want to dump the incline bench press.

I should note that i have tweaked the workout i initially posted, it now looks like so-

front squatsx2
SLDLx1

flat BB benchx2
incline dumbellx1

pull-downsx2
rowsx2

mpx2
rear deltsx1
Power-shrugx1

DB curlx2
skullsx2

calvesx2
absx2

...yeah the shoulder work looks excessive but I'd like to keep the shrugs and rear delt work to avoid imbalance.

I'm considering exchanging machine rows for Pendelay Rows (back parallel to floor, done w/ barbell).

I'm really not concerned with having "more" exercises, in fact i typically have used routines that emphasize heavy compounds.

Two more things-What do you guys advocate for an ab exercise, do you even use progression for these?

Also, I've started implementing a rotator cuff W.O. at the end of each training session, therefore 3 times a week. The workout is from the article, "tackling the rotator cuff conundrum" it's stickied somewhere. Am i asking for trouble using this routine 3 times a week?

Thanks,

Drew

drew 1
Also, I've started implementing a rotator cuff W.O. at the end of each training session, therefore 3 times a week. The workout is from the article, "tackling the rotator cuff conundrum" it's stickied somewhere. Am i asking for trouble using this routine 3 times a week?

if you can remember where that is i would like to know having a bit of shoulder trouble myself.

Back