4th Cycle

colby2152

Intro
My fourth cycle starts this Monday. I will be repeating the same type of cycle I did last time, but with a few changes here and there... and maybe some more depending on your feedback. For those who do not know me; I am a 21 year old college student who weighs 203 lbs at 12.2% bodyfat.

Goals
The long term goal six months down the road is to be at 8%, but from what I read looking at some other cutting results, I feel I can get there quicker without sacrificing muscle. My short term goals by the end of this cycle (May) are slightly over 10% at 200 lbs. I think I can do better by eating 500 calories under maintenance a day therefore losing 1lb/week where most of it will ideally be fat.

Frequency
I am employing my version of the Faustonian cycle again. I go fullbody 8x/week: MWF AM/PM compound exercises... and it isn't a split as I do fullbody in the morning and in the evening; I also do "fullbody" isolation workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. If anyone has any ideas for some more isolations to do then let me know. The PM workout on Friday will be moved to Saturday morning most of the time.

Specialization
Arms and Shoulders are the main target for growth. Besides exercise selection and addition, I will be using static holds for dips, shoulder press, skulls, db/bb curls, pulldowns, and lat raises...

The Workout - Oh Boy!
MWF - AM
Deadlift*
Leg Press*
Shoulder Press
Chins
Dips
Pulley Crunches

MWF - PM
Hyperextensions
Squats*
Shoulder Press
DB Bench Press OR DB Flys
Rows
Pulley Crunches

TR - Weeks 1-4
Incline DB Curls
Skullcrushers
Leg Extensions*
Shrugs
DB Lateral Raises
Calf Raises*
Machine Crunches

TR - Weeks 5-8
Barbell Curl
Tricep Pulldowns
Leg Curls*
Shrugs
DB Lateral Raises
Calf Raises*
Machine Crunches

*For these leg exercises, I am using 20-15-10 rep phases instead of the normal 15-10-5

I haven't had the greatest negative workouts in my first three cycles, so I decided to get serious about them. After two days of doing negatives, I will raise the weight even more, but strictly do partials for all exercises except for calf raises where I'll employ the 5 rep stage.

Diet
In addition to this high frequency HST cycle, I normally walk 3 miles a day, run on the weekends, and live an active lifestyle when I am "sedentary". When doing all of this correctly, I burn 4000 calories a day. I should be eating 3500 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb a week. I feel that should be a safe amount underneath maintenance where I won't lose muscle. I feel I can actually gain a little bit of muscle in this entire process since I am young, higher bf%, and of course using HST. Last cycle, my diet wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best. I got a bit more money this time around, so I will be having pre and post WO protein shakes as well as FINALLY taking some Udo's blend. The macros I am aiming at are 20% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein, 10% alcohol. I have been good at taking in good fats, or at least good ratios of unsaturated to saturated fats in my diet. Low-GI carbs will be examined more in my diet this go around, but all in all, I feel the EFA benefit from the Udo's will help the cutting process.

Questions
I am sure there will be more questions that develop from your feedback, but I have a few that come to mind.

1) Should I do Calf Raises everyday instead of just on the compound days?

2) The strength in my shoulders are weak, so that is why the lateral raises are being thrown in. I do as many sets as I can without burning out on the Shoulder Press, but should I worry about overtraining with the increased volume? Thiq eustion also applies to my arms and the entire workout in general.

3) Partials a good idea during the negatives? I have had success employing them before I tried HST with Power Factor training.

4) Will lower carbs really effect me getting lean... my opinion says it's an urban myth that doesn't matter, and it is the type of carbs (just like fat)

I think I put a lot of thought into this, so I am looking to get ripped this go around!!!!
Thanks for the feedback,
-Colby

Your workout looks cool. I would like to offer some constructive criticism even though I have limited experience and my workout s are completely different from yours (I do 1 set of 5 exercises)

1 It would make sense to give your calves more work because they are extremely conditioned.

2 Your workout is very thorough, I'm sure if you eat enough and sleep well you'll handle it!

3 Thats an interesting idea to increase the load through partials, it should work well.

4 Personally I feel that the average bodybuilders fear of carbs is stupid and that total calorie input- calories burnt is whats important.

Looks good Colby. I'm doing something similar at the moment, but will throw in the extra isolation day like you've got here in my next cycle. I personally don't do shrugs. I think traps get more than enough work from other exercises.

How many sets are you using for each exercise?

I don't know if you've done twice a day workouts before, but when you hit the negs/5s stage, it begins to get brutal. Watch your lower back, cancel all social engagements, and hook yourself up to a IV drip that pumps in calories all day long is my advice. To quote Vicious, "you become your workout man"
laugh.gif

Hot, Hot....Colby

Sorry to come in so late...but I went quiet for a couple of days.

As usual lots of thought into a highly constructive workout!
tounge.gif

Throw in the calf work daily dude, those are muscles that need daily attention.

What else? Maybe rear lateral raise together with the laterals? A tought, maybe?

One thing you did not mention, how many sets per phase? I'd assume you go easy
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Maybe rear lateral raise together with the laterals?</div>

I'm not familar with rear lat raises... the two types I know is wear you have the DB's on your side.. and you either lift your arms up like a butterfly (spreading them out).. or lift them up in the front of your body.. just not sure of their names.. I should go check out exrx.net..

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> how many sets per phase?</div>

As many as I can do without draining my body... it's a workout, and I intend to sweat more than anyone else in the gym. I kept it light today as I need a few days to adjust my body after a 3.5 week layoff.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

I don't know if you've done twice a day workouts before, but when you hit the negs/5s stage, it begins to get brutal. Watch your lower back, cancel all social engagements, and hook yourself up to a IV drip that pumps in calories all day long is my advice. To quote Vicious, &quot;you become your workout man&quot;
laugh.gif
</div>

The AM/PM WO's got tough last cycle once I hit the 5's as you are saying. I fell down to 3-5x/week mostly due to a hectic schedule though.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I personally don't do shrugs. I think traps get more than enough work from other exercises.</div>

That's why I have the shrugs on my isolation days. I agree with your general outlook about them though.. but the same goes for all the iso's which is why I have them on seperate days. Personally, shrugs are one of my favorite exercises and I do them very well.

Thanks for the input guys,
Colby

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not familar with rear lat raises... </div>

Bent over lateral raises, literally bent over you raise the bells towards the back, great for rhomboids and rear shoulder area!

Just a suggestion though!

No Colby

Not better, a different exercise that's all, as far as I am concerned it hits the rear delts better.

One variation, place your forhead against a bench so that your back is steady and do it strictly, I like to superset them with lateral raises on a slightly inclined bench (about 75 degrees), really works for me!

Hi Colby, just bumping this thread to see how you're going with this so far. I'm mid way through the 15s using much the same routine and going well. How's your results?

I am on my 3rd week of 10's.. added an extra week, but it is going a lot better than my 1st version of this type of cycle. Weight change is okay.. I may have cheated with my caliper readings before as people say I look a lot more defined although the numbers don't really show it. I put on muscle as well...

currently 206 @ 12.13%

which is almost 3 lbs of muscle and .2 lbs of fat gained.. I guess it isn't bad at all considering I am midway through the cycle, but I want to be more cut.

It's great to hear that you trying my cycle out for a run.
biggrin.gif

Colby

3) Partials a good idea during the negatives? I have had success employing them before I tried HST with Power Factor training.</div>

I think so...i had not answered this question before!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">4) Will lower carbs really effect me getting lean... my opinion says it's an urban myth that doesn't matter, and it is the type of carbs (just like fat)</div>

Seems to be working well by the looks of it.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">0.2 lbs of fat</div>

You know I wish i had put in as much discipline into the nutrition side of things as you did, but man...life at the moment is just not allowing that! I have your worksheet though and all I have to do is get real serious!

As usual I am experimenting, this time I jumped from HST negative territory into 5 x 5, man...my second week, but my joints are &quot;creaking&quot;
laugh.gif
to say the least besides the fact that i am starting to miss some targets (I shouldn't have ignored Liege's fair warning
ghostface.gif

I think I'm going back to HST next week and will hold onto the 5's as long as i can.

Hey...you sure we'll get ripped!

Didn't read everyone else advice but here is mine.

First off great dedication!!!

I would say routine looks great. especially since you are cutting ( I think when yo decide to bulk again, i might would just hit it hard and heavy and just keep it at 3 days)

Anyway back to your original questions.

Frequency looks challenging but good for cutting.

I personally think partials will be great instead of negatives.

I would say be careful of the overtraining for shoulders.

And last I think your routine either way is solid along with diet.

What I would recomment is maybe more water intake and start watching your sodium.

At 200 pounds and about 10% bf you are definatly a big boy....so lets cutt the carbs a little at the very end up the water intake drastically and maybe keep sodium to a minimum.

It sounds like at your size just getting your body not to hold water will make you looked ripped?

How are the abs currently at 12%....that would be my judge on cutting.

Some people are almost ripped at 12 other like me are not close at 12?

I've only just read this thread so I'm coming in rather late in the day.

Wow! Hat's off to you Colby. Great routine. Wish I had time to give that a try. Not sure I'd be able to eat enough calories though. It's hard enough already at 3 x weekly!

Re isos: would it not be better to do barbell curls first and then switch to db inclines for the extra stretch? In fact, why not do incline db curls from the get go? (Weight progression problem perhaps?). And I would do some kind of triceps extensions (db or EZ-bar held overhead and lowered behind head with elbows held high for big stretch in the long-head) rather than tricep pulldowns. I get more DOMS in my tris from this than any other triceps exercise, including skulls.

I like static holds too.
Thumbsup.gif

If you are just seeing the top upper abs...keep on cutting.

With your awesome routine and determination....I have no doubt you will look good this summer!

Sounds like we might have similar bodytypes?

Hope you have better results with abs...lol
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow! Hat's off to you Colby. Great routine. Wish I had time to give that a try. Not sure I'd be able to eat enough calories though. It's hard enough already at 3 x weekly!</div>

Thanks bud

Re isos: would it not be better to do barbell curls first and then switch to db inclines for the extra stretch? In fact, why not do incline db curls from the get go? (Weight progression problem perhaps?). And I would do some kind of triceps extensions (db or EZ-bar held overhead and lowered behind head with elbows held high for big stretch in the long-head) rather than tricep pulldowns. I get more DOMS in my tris from this than any other triceps exercise, including skulls.
</div>

I actually did what you said! I just go with the DB Curls and Skulls all the way through. I like the exercises better.

I am an unorthodox lifter... not only do I do HST, but I do not do barbell bench press or curls.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">20 rep deadlifts? Glad I'm not the only masochist here
biggrin.gif

What are you pulling for 20?</div>

Thanks leigelord... I don't my sheet with me as I just got home for Easter weekend... I think 90 lbs SLDL style?? As I said, not sure.. but I will follow up!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">With your awesome routine and determination....I have no doubt you will look good this summer!</div>

THANKS, I sure hope so!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 12 2006,23:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">20 rep deadlifts? Glad I'm not the only masochist here
biggrin.gif

What are you pulling for 20?</div>
not much, 100 lbs

Back