DOMS not caused by lactic acid buildup

Louno

I dont know if its true, but all my life ive heard ppl say that Doms were caused because of the lactic acid thats released in our muscles after workout...
But if you look for DOMS in wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOMS ) it says otherwise...

did you guys know this ?

Hey
Resistance exercise causes trauma to skeletal muscle. The immune system responds with a complex sequence of immune reactions leading to inflammation. The purpose of the inflammation response is to contain the damage, repair the damage, and clean up the injured area of waste products.
The immune system causes a sequence of events in response to the injury of the skeletal muscle. Macrophages, which are involved in phagocytosis (a process by which certain cells engulf and destroy microorganisms and cellular debris) of the damaged cells, move to the injury site and secrete cytokines, growth factors and other substances. Cytokines are proteins which serve as the directors of the immune system. They are responsible for cell-to-cell communication. Cytokines stimulate the arrival of lymphocytes, neutrophils, monocytes, and other healer cells to the injury site to repair the injured tissue.

so basicaly what you just said happens every time there is damage to the muscle, so how come we dont feel it after a while you dont get sore, even tho you are still growing ( growing means that there has been damage to the muscle )

Well, the muscle as a whole has a remarkable way of preparing  itself against a force it recently has experienced. But deminishing DOMS is probably mostly due to the fact that the cytokines IL 6, IL 1 and TNF increase the production of  prostaglandins which in turn controls inflammation. But off course there is always more pieces to the DOMS thing.  
smile.gif

or in simpler terms. DOMS is one of many indicators of muscle growth. Growth doesn't necessarily need to be justified with DOMS.

IF doms then growth is correct.
If growth then doms is incorrect.(fallacy)

haha some rhetoric for ya
biggrin.gif

pzhang

<div>
(noobie @ Mar. 08 2006,16:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Growth doesn't necessarily need to be justified with DOMS.

IF doms then growth is correct.
If growth then doms is incorrect.(fallacy)

haha some rhetoric for ya  
biggrin.gif

pzhang</div>
Æ_Not shure if I got that last bit there.
&quot; in simpler terms. DOMS is one of many indicators of muscle growth.&quot;
id just say its just an indication that you have beaten the muscle severely. As you also will get some of the same reactions if you beat your self on the thigh with nunchucks or something (not just the pain). Although considering the training issue, the muscle is also completely battered by Oxygen molecules from the inside.

If its to bad, even the EC system shuts down and refuses you to beat it more.

hrmm... i think i read this whole thread incorrectly. I was just trying to say that muscle damage can happen without DOMS or too much DOMS to indicate that it happens. But Louno's question was if DOMS came from the lactic acid buildup. mmm not so sure about that. Epsilon , i think you've got it pinned here haha. =)

Nice post Epsilon

Only thing I wold add about DOMS and Damage is there appears to be a big difference in damage between isolated fiber stretch and whole muscle stretch, this could be one reason why DOMS appears to be an immuno response with the ECM and exercise and not the fiber itself. More research is still needed.

Back