What protein drink do you use for workouts?

volatile

1) What protein drink (muscle milk, whey, and others) do you use before or after a workout?

2) Do you take one before and after, or just after a workout? Is taking a drink only after working out a problem?

3) Do you have a protein drink at least once, if not twice, as a meal everyday including days you workout?

I was going to order this for my protein supplement, what do you think?

Cytosport Muscle Milk - 2.48 Lb
Specific information about this supplement. can be found here
Basically, it has Calories 348 (162 from fat) per serving (2 scoops)
Total Fat 18g
Protein 32g

there is no need to use protein drinks if you can get your daily amount out of food, only exception is pre/post workout - read eating for size on this site...id recommend a whey blend prior to workout and a miscellar protein mix post, but remember the uptake of amino acids before workout is higher then afterwards

You must have eaten paint chips AND lived under power lines when you were a kid, Volatile. Seriously, there has to be some major Forrest Gump action going on here!! Surely you have seen the protein sold on this very website. I think maybe you need to pull your "special helmet" from over your eyes.

Did you have to have some one walk you through the steps for jacking off, too? It's just that I can totally picture you having to ask if you were doing it right. That you thought you had the perfect technique before but just never got the results you wanted. I can help you out. Just go until you make a series of facial expressions in this general order:

:mad:
blush.gif
:confused:
wow.gif
butbut.gif
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
:D
sleeping.gif

You'll know when you get it right.

And see the FAQ.

Adam

If you decide to supplement w/ protein, use whey (for the most part). Muscle Milk has too much fat. Cheap whey is available everywhere.

If you want more of a meal replacement protein, use a casein-based protein. It digests more slowly. You could add fats and/or carbs to this, if you wish, to meet any dietary targets you have set for yourself.

HSN proteins (read about them on this site) are good, available at bulknutrition.com. However there are many, many other choices so you pick what you like.

Simply click on "store" above and order. While you're at it, pick up some Creatine as well. It is one of the rare supplements that really works.

Vol,
Have you read this Pre / Post Workout

It answers your question.

and (like others have said) hit the store link and try some primer and driver.

EDIT:
Hmmmm after 161 post you ask "What protein drink.......
dozingoff.gif

1) N-Large^2 w/ water pre, N-Large^2 w/ milk post.
2) See above. Pre is more important than post.
3) N-Large^2 w/ milk before bed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ May 27 2004,12:20)]Vol,
Have you read this Pre / Post Workout
It answers your question.
and (like others have said) hit the store link and try some primer and driver.
EDIT:
Hmmmm after 161 post you ask "What protein drink.......
dozingoff.gif
On second thought, Vol just aint worth anymore of my time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIGBANGSingh @ May 27 2004,2:40)]1) N-Large^2 w/ water pre, N-Large^2 w/ milk post.
2) See above. Pre is more important than post.
3) N-Large^2 w/ milk before bed.
That sounds good, do they sell this stuff at GNC?

Arbito, you know it's funny about muscle milk. A PT I know at my gym, who is a really big, strong, not fat guy and can squat over 700 pounds, was the one who recommened that drink to me.
In fact, he uses muscle milk and even ordered for me, it was a lot cheaper than the powder they sell at the gym which could have got a commisson for.
So he wasn't trying to get a sale on me and he used the product himself, go figure that it's no good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ May 27 2004,9:47)]Simply click on "store" above and order. While you're at it, pick up some Creatine as well. It is one of the rare supplements that really works.
Absolutly not.
I hate creatine, big frigging waste of money.
I used creatine last year for over 3 months.
I followed the instructions, I loaded properly, and took the right amount of creatine at the right time.
The result?
Nothing, no growth and improvement at all.
That supplement DOES NOT work, which is why I asked here what protein drink I should use, I don't feel like wasting more hope on a shotty product.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (volatile @ May 28 2004,2:02)]Absolutly not.
I hate creatine, big frigging waste of money.
I used creatine last year for over 3 months.
I followed the instructions, I loaded properly, and took the right amount of creatine at the right time.
The result?
Nothing, no growth and improvement at all.
That supplement DOES NOT work, which is why I asked here what protein drink I should use, I don't feel like wasting more hope on a shotty product.
You haven't gotten any results because you are lazy, unintelligent, and undedicated. Creatine DOES absolutely work. Have you ever tried reading research done using creatine??!! Of course you haven't, because you are too lazy to do so!! The fact that you even made a statement like that is almost like a slap in the face to Bryan and HSN because he actually CARES about his customers and will only market products that he know will WORK!!! You think taking a protein drink will give you somekind of magical results?? Hell no it won't, because your diet looks like CRAP!! And you are too lazy to do a little reading and set a better one up for YOURSELF!!

See the FAQ, TROLLER!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ May 28 2004,1:53)]You haven't gotten any results because you are lazy, unintelligent, and undedicated. Creatine DOES absolutely work. Have you ever tried reading research done using creatine??!!
Baby A, that really is uncalled for guy, granted Vol is a pain, and doesn't do his homework, and even though I made myself a promise not to post any more on any thread that has him involved, I just have to say that calling the guy those names just isn't right. Even though I still think he needs to get his act together, I wouldn't just come out and call him names.
Besides here is a study that possibly could give his line of thought some merit. It is just an abstract and I haven't gotten the whole report yet, but???

Notes: This study refers to anabolic (I am assuming they are refering to direct anabolic effect) effect of Creatine, which in itself possibly is true, but I do believe creatine's effects on the, as stated in other studies and the FAQ, metabolic effect of hypertrophy are worth merit.

No effect of creatine supplementation on human myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis after resistance exercise.
Louis M, Poortmans JR, Francaux M, Berre J, Boisseau N, Brassine E, Cuthbertson DJ, Smith K, Babraj JA, Waddell T, Rennie MJ.
Universite Catholique de Louvain, France.

Muscle hypertrophy during resistance training is reportedly increased by creatine supplementation. Having previously failed to find an anabolic effect on muscle protein turnover at rest, either fed or fasted, we have now examined the possibility of a stimulatory effect of creatine in conjunction with acute resistance exercise. Seven healthy men (body mass index, 23 +/- 2 kg/m2, 21 +/- 1 yr, means +/- SE) performed 20 x 10 repetitions of leg extension-flexion at 75% one-repetition maximum in one leg, on two occasions, 4 wk apart, before and after ingesting 21 g/day creatine for 5 days. The subjects ate approximately 21 g maltodextrin + 6 g protein/h for 3 h postexercise. We measured incorporation of [1-13C]leucine into quadriceps muscle proteins in the rested and exercised legs. Leg protein breakdown (as dilution of [2H5]phenylalanine) was also assessed in the exercised and rested leg postexercise. Creatine supplementation increased muscle total creatine by approximately 21% (P < 0.01). Exercise increased the synthetic rates of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic proteins by two- to threefold (P < 0.05), and leg phenylalanine balance became more positive, but creatine was without any anabolic effect.
PMID: 12824083 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

You know what, after sleeping for a few hours, I think you are probably right dkm. I let my EXTREME frustration with Volatile get to me last night and I shouldn't have called names. But Volatile, you do need to get your act together because people really are going to stop answering any of your posts. This stuff is not NEAR as hard as you make it out to be!! So, from here on out, I will no longer reply to any of your posts. I figure it is best for us both, Volatile. Sorry Flexipecs!!

Dkm, as for the report about creatine above, there will ALWAYS be those stray reports regarding anything that will contradict what is considered to be the majority. And the majority of the research done considering hypertrophy, strength and creatine is unanimous in that it is HIGHLY effectacious for most people. Read more research and you will find this to be true as well.

I have read many, way before ever coming to this forum. I also tend to agree with the vast majority saying creatine is a safe and effective benefit. That is why I put that note on the post, you're right it is just one study, but it could lead to more with the same outcome so you just never know. I was just stating that even though "you know who" for the most is clueless, you just sometimes get blindsided.

baby a, maybe you should edit out some of the offensive things you said if you are that way.
I do in fact do my homework.
I have read about the study dkm posted before, I know that cretaine does not work for some people, and I was one of them for several months.

I am person who prefers to have a clear cut path that I can connect the dots.
I have been reading the articles, so I don't appreciate your insult as lazy, that is not true.

The problem is I feel I have run into a wall with nutrition articles. No single article gives me all the tools I need to build a successful diet.
This means I have to read more articles, the problem being that most of the articles are written by different people with different ideas about what is best for nutrition.
This leads to confusion and my part and just general disorganization.

If I have to spend time understanding what one article says, only to read another article that says the complete opposite, I can't go far with improvement.

This has been the challenge with diet, I can not put together my own diet because when I have (based on research), I failed.

There are a million articles out there, but who is to say which ones are valid and which are not.

What I have tried to do on here is ask successful bodybuilders for help, wanting them to give me the articles that have worked for THEM so I can do the same. I was hoping people could give me a nice collection of articles that would cover this subject COMPLETELY so I could have a clear understanding of what I should focus.
I was hoping, maybe unrealistically, that people give me all the articles which are valid I need, and that I could build from that point.

It is not as easy as you say, and I am not lazy. I don't want to read an article, take the advice, and then have people tell me that writter is no good.
I have confidence in the people I ask, but I do not feel comfortable reading and obeying any article not endorsed by a successful person on here for reason I stated.

I will read entirely all of the articles that have been recommened to me, and then I will try to make a diet and aks you questions to follow up.
Is there anything wrong that plan?
I want some "training wheels" until I have the hang of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The problem is I feel I have run into a wall with nutrition articles. No single article gives me all the tools I need to build a successful diet.
This means I have to read more articles, the problem being that most of the articles are written by different people with different ideas about what is best for nutrition.

Unfortunately, no single article is going to give you all the tools you need to build a successful diet for a single, simple reason: you are an individual. You have your own goals, your own concept of success, your own genetics, etc. The best an article (or any person here or anywhere else) can do for you is suggest a possible to solution to some of your problems. But you must try each suggestion, try it and record its effect (or lackthereof) on you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I have to spend time understanding what one article says, only to read another article that says the complete opposite, I can't go far with improvement.

This is true. Eventually, you'll have to choose a particular plan of action and implement it. It's the only meaningful way of evaluating such a plan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is not as easy as you say, and I am not lazy. I don't want to read an article, take the advice, and then have people tell me that writter is no good.
I have confidence in the people I ask, but I do not feel comfortable reading and obeying any article not endorsed by a successful person on here for reason I stated.

It honestly doesn't matter who the writer is, who the PT is, who the coach is, etc. What matters is what is being said, and did it work for you? That is the only thing that matters. Just because someone has won a BB contest, or is a "known" trainer, means absolutely nothing. Nothing. The ability to do for oneself does not equate with the ability to effect for others. You must instead evaluate what is being said to the best of your ability and then try something. Keep detailed records. Keep what works, discard what does not. This is where the work is. When baby_a (inappropriately) called you lazy, I think perhaps the underlying message was that we all have to spend the time and energy figuring things out for ourselves, and that you should "get to figuring."

I realize you are hesitant to begin a new program, if for no other reason than the past 19 months of effort have been largely unproductive with respect to your personal goals. But, in all fairness, you did not come away with nothing: you now have 19 months of experience, 19 months worth of things not to do. Such knowledge is very valuable, especially in the BS-laden fitness industry.

Vol, I think what bothers people is when you ask questions that are DIRECTLY answered in the frequently asked questions section. The people on this board, the bodybuilders you are enlisting for help, they tend to adhere to those principles. So rather than ask them, read the articles on this site. There you will see a plethora of studies cited and you won't have to come on the message board asking questions that have already been answered. It's all about being prepared.

Back