Sudafed/ Ephedra Question

Sonny

Howdy
As you all know here in the US the FDA has banned the sale of (Ephedra sinica) / Ma huang a while back, but after reading the label on a box of generic Sudafed it contains “Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 30 mg”.
Is this the same as Ephedra that was outlawed?
Would this be considered pure Ephedra?
If yes! Then how much would one have to take for it to be effective for weight loss?
In addition, Would it be advisable to take it for weight loss?
What if any negative side effects are there?
Thanks
Sonny

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Dec. 15 2005,8:27)]Is this the same as Ephedra that was outlawed?

Would this be considered pure Ephedra?

Thanks
Sonny
No

Pseudoephedrine, is a structural isomer of ephedrine (an alkaloid extracted from Ephedra). Ephedrine molecules occur two ways. The (-) isomer is a very potent sympathomimetic amine (adrenaline mimic), thus responsible for the amphetamine-like effect. The (+), aka pseudoephedrine, is far less potent as a stimulant.

you can still find synthetic forms of ephedra sold over the counter.....you just have to know where to look.

Not mentioning names but look at the list of ingredients in some asthma medications.

I thought the ban on Ephedra was repealed? You can find it all over the place online still, if you look.

in some states the ephedra was repelled or at least still in court on appeal.

Ephedrine is still legal for sale.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Dec. 16 2005,9:01)]Mention some names Dan!
Sonny
Eat a cow and save a chicken!
Just do a search for ephedrine HCL, you'll find plenty of places to purchase from and also products that contain it.

Be aware though that many states (may even be Federally mandated, don't know haven't looked into it) that you must register your purchase and are limited to how much you may purchase in a given time frame. I found out by trying to sudafed for a cold and had to give my name and DOB and show my driver license as proof of DOB.

This is the same for psuedoephedrine as well, as it and ephedrine HCL can be used to make methamphetamine. This is the reason many places have pulled items containing these from their OTC selves and now have put them BTC.

Back