10 x 3 madness

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
I

imported_drpierredebs

Forget about doing more than 3 compound movements wit 10 x 3.
I started today with squats, bent rows and incline benchs with 80% of my 1 RM maxes and I was destroyed afterwards. I managed to do 10 x 3 close grips supinated pulldowns with 100kgs, but when I went to do dips with bodyweight plus 25 kilos I felt as if someone threw me down the stairs.
In addition, I was sweating like pig-completely soaked afterwards.

It is going to be a long 8 week cycle!

Here is what I plan: cycling through a-b every 48 hours for 8 weeks

workout A: Back Squats, Bent Rows, Incline Bench, Pull downs
workout B: Front squats, Deads, Flat Bench, Standing Military Press, dips

Nice workout!  Looks very similar to what I am currently doing...6 compounds for my max-stim routine, but I am doing up to 40 reps per exercise!  The first workout was grueling, but the second I was already becoming mentally and physically conditioned to the volume.  I didn't throw up for either workout!
biggrin.gif

Her is my workout log:Sci's Max-stim log

I think dips and flat bench in the same routine is not good...they are too similar, your chest and tris will overdone. Plus with the militray press you have three push movements one workout and only one push movement the other. I would pair flat bench with military press, and then pair dips with incline bench....that would have less overlap.
Also you have two lat exercises in one workout, and none in the other.

I would suggest this:

A)Back Squats, Rows, Incline bench, Dips.

B)Front squats, Deadlift, Pulldowns, flat Bench, military press.

I think if it gets too much during 5s I would just drop flat bench and replace with wide-grip dips as I think you then have chest covered pretty well for the cycle. In fact, I'd do it now during 10s as I'd do anything to reduce work during my deads session!
biggrin.gif

If I was a betting man I'd say Sci is not long for this earth.
laugh.gif

hey dr what are your goals and where is the progression?? You just going to stick to 80% of 1RM for the whole 8 weeks? I would suggest to other people trying this that they start at a lower weight and progress up to Max with what strength gains they make.

I like the 10x3 idea though, same volume as oldskool 3x10, but with much heavier weights. I did 5x3 and found it gruelly from the 12th rep (using 5RM load). Hate to have to do 5 more sets afterwards!

Goals: Strength and lose a few more kgs fat.
I don´t know how I will increase the weight, probably 2.5% per week. I´ll report back.

I was so hungry last night, I ended up taking in about 5000 calories yesterday (which is not normal for me in the biking off-season ). I am usually only this hungry after mountain bike marathons where I take in upwards of 7000 calories after the race and the following day.

BTW, any of you having trouble sleeping might consider 10 x 3. I normally sleep well, but last night I slept like a rock. Normally, I´m a thraser whenI sleep, but I woke up in the exact position I fell asleep in AND the covers on me instead of the floor or across the room.

I feel every muscle in my body today.

I´m dropping flat benching for this cycle .

I just finished a six week cycle of 10x3s. I did a full body with 2 days off between each workout.I used 5 compound exersizes: Flat bench, Military press, BB rows, Deadlift, and squat.
  Strength gains were very impressive, I can see that there was some fat loss, but it was replaced by muscle apparently as the scale reads about the same. I stopped at week six as strength was no longer progressing and the stress of lifting at around 90% of 1RM was begining to wear on my joints a little too much.
  I love the whole 10x3 concept and intend to cycle it with hst indefinitely. I'm not sure if I see myself going more than six weeks at a time at 90%/1rm tho, but thats only because of the aches and pains. I plan to try 85% 1RM next time I try this cycle and expect to see impressive strength gains and some size(mostly strength in my experience).I think that using 80%/1RM will work well for you and you will adapt with in a few WO's and not be so sore,Good luck !
wink.gif

drpierredebs, now that you've finished your 5x5, could you list your starting and ending 5RM's and the number of weeks you did the routine?

Last night was day 2 of 10 x 3 and again I was soaked. My polar watch showed that I burned 780 calories in 50 minutes ( I know some think the polar is not very accurate, butI use it all the time) I have never burned this much with 5 x 5 which lasted a good 1.5 hours. I dropped benchs, and will drop them for a few months. With no bench movement, my military press was much better and I felt much stronger on the movement.

The front squats were a nice warmup for the deads. After the 8 set, I was in such a trance, it was wild. I ended up doing 10 x 3 for front squats,  12 x 3 for the deads, 10 x 3 military presses, and 11 x 3 for the pull downs all at approx. 80% 1 RM. I will up the weight every week by 2.5%

Liegelord, I have to go through my training log, and I will post my gains for the 5 x 5.

10x3 would also be great to work into a 30rep progressive weight HST program.

2x15,3x10,6x5,10x3 (2 weeks each up to 15RM, 10RM, 5RM, 3RM respectively)

Though after 6x5 you might find your joints are a bit sore, but I think the lack of big progressions in weight is why a straight 10x3 program is more focused to strength than hypertrophy.

Good luck doc!

I've been having my wife who recently started working out with weights use the 10x3 and her deadlift has progressed almost 30 lbs. each W/O. She's 100% newbie so I'm sure a lot can be explained by that alone , but the 10x3 has progressed her faster in all lifts than any other rep scheme I've tried with her, and mentally it seems to "trick" her into feeling like she's doing LESS work than say a 5x5 @75% 1RM (I'm using 85% 1RM for her with the 10x3), it's actually considerably MORE volume, so go figure!
It was my experience that the 10x3 "felt" good , a quick almost max effort and than pace the basement for a minute sipping water and than BAM! knock off another set.Somehow it felt less grueling to me than lighter weight at higher reps per set (maybe I'm a "fast twitch" type of guy!). The pumps (although argueably unnessessary for growth) were fantastic.
The ONLY negative for me was (as I posted above) that the soreness and joint pain did get a bit much towards the end of my cycle so I cut it short at six weeks and started SD in preparation for a HST cycle (my first), in the future I will be a bit more conservative and use 85% 1RM (as reccomended by Chad Waterbury, I was using 90% 1rm, which turned out to be as I said a bit too ambitious!)maybe with less of my 1RM percentage I could up the frequency too, at 90% I took 2 days off between W.O.'s(ok I admit it OCCASIONALLY 3!)Becuase my middle aged body was experiencing DOMs in a way it had previously only dreamed of!
I feel you with the sweating , I was soaked almost every workout more so than any other routine I have tried in the past.Good luck and happy lifting!
wink.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 03 2006,11:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice workout!  Looks very similar to what I am currently doing...6 compounds for my max-stim routine, but I am doing up to 40 reps per exercise!  The first workout was grueling, but the second I was already becoming mentally and physically conditioned to the volume.  I didn't throw up for either workout!
biggrin.gif

Her is my workout log:Sci's Max-stim log</div>
Sci,

I read your log, impressive and intense. I also skimmed the site and didn't see anything about warm-ups. You noted that you did a few minutes of cardio one session. Do you do any warm-ups w/ the weights? Or is that unnecessary since you're using your 10RM for one rep at a time?

Are you noticing more gains in strength or hypertrophy (or evenly balanced between them)?

thanks,
s

Hey no one mentioned what kind of rest periods you use between sets for a 10x3 program.

A max-stim style 5-10 secs? or more traditional 30-60secs, or longer?

I'm thinking 10x3 using m-time (3 reps instead of 1) would be quite effective, and quicker.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Dec. 06 2006,15:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey no one mentioned what kind of rest periods you use between sets for a 10x3 program.</div>
I rested one to one and a half minutes between sets.
smile.gif

<div>
(smf @ Dec. 06 2006,11:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 03 2006,11:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice workout!  Looks very similar to what I am currently doing...6 compounds for my max-stim routine, but I am doing up to 40 reps per exercise!  The first workout was grueling, but the second I was already becoming mentally and physically conditioned to the volume.  I didn't throw up for either workout!
biggrin.gif

Her is my workout log:Sci's Max-stim log</div>
Sci,

I read your log, impressive and intense.   I also skimmed the site and didn't see anything about warm-ups.  You noted that you did a few minutes of cardio one session.  Do you do any warm-ups w/ the weights?  Or is that unnecessary since you're using your 10RM for one rep at a time?

Are you noticing more gains in strength or hypertrophy (or evenly balanced between them)?

thanks,
s</div>
I jog or jump-rope for 5-10 minutes to warm-up the whole body. Then I warm-up with squats, then I just jump right into it after that, with no warm-ups for each independent lift. After squats my entire body is warmed up, so I just run my routine circuit style, staying warm for each exercise.

RUSS why dont you add the 10x3 to the end of your HST cycle instead of negs..you could try as many wks as you feel like when you have maxed out or feeling tired sd.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

RE: Warmups-5 minutes bike, 20 jumping jacks, and the first set of squats. thats it.

Back