A good thread on Arnold

I'm happy to see that after that fat beach pic that made the net for so long. I'm sure his new duties don't allow much time for lifting, consistency, sleep and meals.
Not to mention that governing the craziest state in the nation might be just a little more demanding.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 14 2007,07:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm happy to see that after that fat beach pic that made the net for so long. I'm sure his new duties don't allow much time for lifting, consistency, sleep and meals.
Not to mention that governing the craziest state in the nation might be just a little more demanding.</div>
I'm sure his physician(s) have hooked him up with a mild but effective hormonal regime, as well as some judicious plastic surgery.

I saw an article that was pretty convincing about why that fat beach photo was photoshopped to look even worse than it really was.

Lots of ex-users go for HRT as a mainstay. I'm on it temporarily but totally unimpressed with the low levels. Not much difference at all so far. I got much more out of PH's the two times I tried them.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 14 2007,12:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lots of ex-users go for HRT as a mainstay. I'm on it temporarily but totally unimpressed with the low levels. Not much difference at all so far. I got much more out of PH's the two times I tried them.</div>
I don't think we're talking HRT, but more likely HRT plus.  Some test, some primo, hgh, and a doctor to justify it all to the FDA/DEA, not to mention top of the line training facilities, probably a chef cooking his meals and snacks so he doesn't have to go to the vending machines, etc.  I find it highly unlikely he's just getting a weekly supply of test cyp or androgel.

I love the &quot;Keep it Natural&quot; shirt, lol!
laugh.gif

I dunno guys. According to a biography I have of him he was able to add or drop 10 lbs in a week or so pretty much at will. If you know anything about the history of the man you know that he started lifting at a very young age. My own experience lifting since age 13 as well as time spent dabbling in martial arts has convinced me that early life athletic developments tend to stick with you. He may be in his 60's and he may even be getting clinical hormone treatments, but I don't think he's on anything serious. He has political ambitions, why risk it? For what? He's not competing in the master's Olympia. Don't discount the fact that on top of his natural talent he is a seven-time Mr. Olympia, has over four decades of experience training his own physique (do you?), and is a very driven and accomplishment-oriented man. Perhaps he got the help of a surgeon to slim him down or give him a tuck here or there. Big deal. Plastic surgery do not muscles make. I've got a simple plan that will make anyone huge. Can you dig it? Its intense man. So intense not even Muscle &amp; Fitness, not even Iron Man, not even Muscular Development dare publish it. Only the hardcore of the hardcore can pull it off. Are you ready? Think you can handle it? Here it is:

Starting now, commit the next 20 years of your life to bodybuilding.

That may be difficult to comprehend. So, let me take a few pages from Arnold's life to give you an example:

Think bodybuilding when you're eating, when you're sleeping, when you're making love to your wife, when your boss threatens to fire you. When a family member dies say you can't make the funeral because you've got a contest to train for. When you can't make enough for rent because you spend most of your time training ask a guy at the gym if you can sleep in his garage. When people call you conceited or self-involved just drown it out, you don't need that kind of negativity: today is chest day. Learn every skeletal muscle. Study every lift and how you respond to it. Eat. Even when you're full. Train. Even when you don't feel like it. Let go of everything else you want for the next 20 years and just lift weights.

If you don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger its not because you don't take enough primo or hGH. Its not because you didn't have state-of-the-art facilities or a personal trainer. It has little if nothing to do with these things. The reason is so simple, so glaringly obvious that you likely overlooked it:

You're not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

A man doesn't move to a foreign nation with no comprehension of the language, with no education, with only a duffel bag and then go on to be a seven-time Mr. Olympia, make a fortune in real estate, become one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood, marry a Kennedy, and then wind up as the governor of California all because of genetics. He does have something you don't - you're right about that, but its not found in a syringe or a blister pack. If you want to know what it is then get Arnold's address and ask him. I doubt he will hide it from you.

LOL!!! Lay it on the LINE dude!

...a little side note: I'd read that your body mechanics, metabolism and other factors are set by around age 16...if your kids are fat then guess what they'll be fighting the rest of their lives...

I wish I'd started lifting many years earlier; this wouldn't be so hard now.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Oct. 14 2007,03:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I dunno guys.  According to a biography I have of him he was able to add or drop 10 lbs in a week or so pretty much at will.  If you know anything about the history of the man you know that he started lifting at a very young age.  My own experience lifting since age 13 as well as time spent dabbling in martial arts has convinced me that early life athletic developments tend to stick with you.  He may be in his 60's and he may even be getting clinical hormone treatments, but I don't think he's on anything serious.  He has political ambitions, why risk it?  For what?  He's not competing in the master's Olympia.  Don't discount the fact that on top of his natural talent he is a seven-time Mr. Olympia, has over four decades of experience training his own physique (do you?), and is a very driven and accomplishment-oriented man.  Perhaps he got the help of a surgeon to slim him down or give him a tuck here or there.  Big deal.  Plastic surgery do not muscles make.  I've got a simple plan that will make anyone huge.  Can you dig it?  Its intense man.  So intense not even Muscle &amp; Fitness, not even Iron Man, not even Muscular Development dare publish it.  Only the hardcore of the hardcore can pull it off.  Are you ready?  Think you can handle it?  Here it is:  

Starting now, commit the next 20 years of your life to bodybuilding.

That may be difficult to comprehend.  So, let me take a few pages from Arnold's life to give you an example:

Think bodybuilding when you're eating, when you're sleeping, when you're making love to your wife, when your boss threatens to fire you.  When a family member dies say you can't make the funeral because you've got a contest to train for.  When you can't make enough for rent because you spend most of your time training ask a guy at the gym if you can sleep in his garage.  When people call you conceited or self-involved just drown it out, you don't need that kind of negativity: today is chest day. Learn every skeletal muscle.  Study every lift and how you respond to it.  Eat.  Even when you're full.   Train.  Even when you don't feel like it.  Let go of everything else you want for the next 20 years and just lift weights.

If you don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger its not because you don't take enough primo or hGH.  Its not because you didn't have state-of-the-art facilities or a personal trainer.  It has little if nothing to do with these things.  The reason is so simple, so glaringly obvious that you likely overlooked it:

You're not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

A man doesn't move to a foreign nation with no comprehension of the language, with no education, with only a duffel bag and then go on to be a seven-time Mr. Olympia, make a fortune in real estate, become one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood, marry a Kennedy, and then wind up as the governor of California all because of genetics.  He does have something you don't - you're right about that, but its not found in a syringe or a blister pack.  If you want to know what it is then get Arnold's address and ask him.  I doubt he will hide it from you.</div>
Quantum...I am not trying to disagree with you here so bare with me
biggrin.gif

But two things are for sure.

Arnold has and had a great physique.

And too the majority of his ideas and training routines were horrible and full of insane amounts of volume and overtraining.

I respect arnold physique and bodybuilder...but he would be one LOUSY...personal trainer IMO.
biggrin.gif

I say this b/c I have his book Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding....and I too trained just like him for over two year.

I ate tons of the perfect food and did his routines for all muscle group 25 + sets for large muscle 15 to 20 for small muscles.

One thing I found out...unless I was going to juice it up then it wouldn't work for me.

<u>Here is last routine he used for T 3

From Muscle and Fitness July 2003 by Peter McGough
When it came time for the nude scene, were you in the shape you wanted to be in?
Oh, yes. When I started training in late February, I was 214 pounds, and when it came time to shoot the scene, I was 220. But I had gained much more than six pounds of muscle. I was harder, more defined, much fuller. I was the way I wanted to look, and at 220, I was exactly the same weight as I had been for Terminator 2.

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER'S T3 TRAINING PROGRAM

BODYPART                        EXERCISE                     SETS  REPS

Monday, Wednesday and Friday

FIRST WORKOUT

Delts                           Machine front presses         5     15
                               Side cable laterals           5     15
                               Rear delt raises (machine)    5     15
Biceps                          Barbell curls                 5     15
                               Machine preacher curls        5     15
                               Concentration curls           5     15
Triceps                         Triceps pushdowns             5     15
                               Machine triceps extensions    5     15
                               Overhead machine extensions   5     15

SECOND WORKOUT

Start with cardio work consisting of 30-45 minutes on a treadmill,
cycle or stair stepper.

Abs                             Forward crunches              4     25
Calves                          Seated calf raises            4     15
Thighs                          Leg extensions                4     15
Hamstrings                      Leg curls                     4     15

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

FIRST WORKOUT

Chest                           Machine bench presses         5     15
                               Incline dumbbell presses      5     15
                               Flat dumbbell flyes           5     15
Back                            Machine pulldowns             5     15
                               Machine rows                  5     15
                               Nautilus pullovers            5     15

SECOND WORKOUT

Start with cardio work consisting of a 30-45 minutes on a treadmill,
cycle or stair stepper.

Abs                             Forward crunches              4     25
Calves                          Seated calf raises            4     15
Thighs                          Leg extensions                4     15
Hamstrings                      Leg curls                     4     15

Note: Perform each set to failure, resting 30 seconds between sets.

Arnold in T 3</u>

Here is a pic that is supposedly ( I don't know for sure you be the judge)

Of Arnold between Steroid Cycles. Back in the Golden Era it has been told bodybuilders lifted NATURAL for the majority of the year...and added D-Bol when it came time to cut for a contest.

It has also been noted that back then Arnold and others use to Gain weight for competitions.

I too used his methods, especially when I was a teenager. The high volume chest routine left me with disproportionately large pecs. I don't recall the high volume idea working too well for anything else. I agree with you that many of his ideas are out of date though when I read his writings these days I do see a kind of pattern, a method. I don't think we should blame him for using what appears to be outrageous methodology to get in shape for T3. Like the bodybuilders of his day and those that came before him, Arnold developed his understanding of weights at a time when the scientific knowledge was still very dim and when very few people worked out. Nowadays we all have access to pubmed and the research has been moving at a faster pace. He appears to be sticking by what he's done all along and, unless the high volume training has been a masquerade, its what's worked for him. Think of how little we change our minds on training, even today with all of this information. Arnold is in his 60's, should we expect him to change his mind now?

If we want to settle the question of steroids, the only way is to look at what substances were available to him in those days and what their known effects were. Its a thought I've batted around for a while now.

When we look at his bodybuilding career in the context of what he's accomplished, we see a man who's very determined, very driven, who selects his objective with forethought and then goes about it with an uncanny determination and focus. Its infuriating when other's attempt to detract from such accomplishment by coughing up reasons designed to imply that anyone can get that if you too had X, Y, and Z. Such allegations imply that commitment and focus are irrelevant when it is often these very qualities that the aggressor lacks. And while adamant resolve does not in itself forge a champion, no one has ever become a champion without it.

Great pictures, BTW.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Oct. 14 2007,15:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I dunno guys.  According to a biography I have of him he was able to add or drop 10 lbs in a week or so pretty much at will.  If you know anything about the history of the man you know that he started lifting at a very young age.  My own experience lifting since age 13 as well as time spent dabbling in martial arts has convinced me that early life athletic developments tend to stick with you.  He may be in his 60's and he may even be getting clinical hormone treatments, but I don't think he's on anything serious.  He has political ambitions, why risk it?  For what?</div>

To look good, keep up appearances.  The guy has made his career in the fitness industry, specifically in looking like the picture of health.  And his ability to add and drop weight so easily might, just might, relate to well known, and admitted, steroid use. And with a discrete enough doctor he has nothing to worry about. No one is going to bust him or his doctor because he's not making an ass or spectacle of himself.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger its not because you don't take enough primo or hGH.  Its not because you didn't have state-of-the-art facilities or a personal trainer.  It has little if nothing to do with these things.  The reason is so simple, so glaringly obvious that you likely overlooked it:</div>

No one is doubting his skill, commitment, and genetic abilities.  He's definitely put his time in and paid his dues in the gym.  And his genetics, the shape of his muscles, insertions and terminations and what not, are near perfect aesthetically. But if you think a sixty year old looks like that 'naturally', you're dellusional, plain and simple.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Oct. 14 2007,18:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If we want to settle the question of steroids, the only way is to look at what substances were available to him in those days and what their known effects were.  Its a thought I've batted around for a while now.Maybe you</div>
Maybe you should just watch/read some interviews with people who were a part of the scene back then. To my knowledge everyone from Pumping Iron except Katz has admitted to steroid use, and he likely has. You quite simply do not get that big and that cut without hormonal supplementation. Ferrigno was already pushing body weight we see in today's competitions. He didn't do it naturally. None of them did.

<div>
(xahrx @ Oct. 14 2007,06:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe you should just watch/read some interviews with people who were a part of the scene back then.</div>
Good idea.

Here ya go!

http://www.dailymotion.com/search....-part-1

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevan....extreme

(These links are now working sorry for the confusion earlier...see my post later on in this thread!)

Back