alpha-linolenic acid conversion to EPA+ DHA

Ruhl

I have read that alpha-linolenic acid conversion to EPA+ DHA is very low at 2.7% in one study and <1% in others. Does this mean that trying to get omega 3s through flax oil is useless?

I've seen reports of 2-5% for DHA and 5-10% for EPA (study showed 2X the conversion in women, as an aside). I'd just stick with fish oil supps for a direct DHA/EPA source rather than relying on conversion of alpha linoleic acid to DHA/EPA, which hinges on the n3:n6 ratio.

If your diet is deficient in EPA/DHA then conversion rates will increase. if your diet includes even small amounts of epa/dha, there will be some conversion to epa but basically none to dha (most ALA supplement trials show no change in DHA - but some isotopically labeled studies show some change)

Not that I know of but Aaron, Bryan or someone may.

You're basically getting alpha-linoleate and linoleate in flax (with a little gamma-linoleate) in addition to some normal saturated fatty acids; since most people get plenty of linoleate, it should be dispensible. Also, DHA/EPA both can be converted back into alpha-linoleate so it isn't as though you are losing all the intermediates by skipping the conversion from alpha-linoleate. Eating your greens for sufficient alpha-linoleate precursors (hexadecatrienoate) never hurts, either :)

Back