An IFBB Pro's comments on HST

I

imported_hotterdog

i asked Bob Cicherillo - IFBB Pro Bodybuilder (in his thread on ask a pro bodybuilder http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=172693031#post172693031
post 337 wat his thoughts were on HST system.

in case u can't read e thread here's e Q & A.

Question "hi bob, wa's your thoughts on Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST?)
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/about.html
no pros seem to use full body training but wat are your thoughts? thanks."

Answer: "As yet another 3-lettered training system....it's fine for 99% of regular people trying to get fit, or maintaining a physique, or even could be of benefit to guys training for sports in general.

For a competitive BB......not so much."

Wat are your thoughts? Not trying to stir up anything. just wanna hear yr comments.
tounge.gif

I've heard Bob talk training on several YouTube vids. Nothing I've heard him say comes close to what a natty needs to hear. I'm sure he knows his stuff but he's a Pro BBer so different rules apply!
smile.gif

I could be wrong but I doubt Bob knows what HST is. You provided him the link, but I bet what happened is that he read "full body training" in your post, and made his judgement call off of that.

Who cares about PRO bodybuilder's training opinions?  Half of them are idiots.  They are all pumped on drugs, most don't know $hit about the science of training or hypertophy.

Obviously they know what it takes to get in awesome shape: awesome genetics, proper drug assistance and some sort of training and nutrition.
laugh.gif

Just read any FLEX article to see how dumb most of them are.
Thousands of people in the past three decades spun their wheels and overtrained like crazy simply because they were following Arnold's or some other pros advice.

end rant.
smile.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ May 31 2008,11:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I could be wrong but I doubt Bob knows what HST is.  You provided him the link, but I bet what happened is that he read &quot;full body training&quot; in your post, and made his judgement call off of that.</div>
Exactly. And even if he read the whole HST FAQ, he'd probably dismiss it as 'not good for pros.'

Considering I've never heard of the guy... who cares what his opinion is? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but... I mean, if he was a really important guy in the BBing world, maybe it would be different.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Who cares about PRO bodybuilder's training opinions? Half of them are idiots. They are all pumped on drugs, most don't know $hit about the science of training or hypertophy.

Obviously they know what it takes to get in awesome shape: awesome genetics, proper drug assistance and some sort of training and nutrition.</div>

VERY VERY true i have to agree, i mean sure they work hard and eat alot, but many are clueless in the way of natural training. (note: not all, but many ;) )

<div>
(stevejones @ May 31 2008,11:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I could be wrong but I doubt Bob knows what HST is. You provided him the link, but I bet what happened is that he read &quot;full body training&quot; in your post, and made his judgement call off of that.</div>
well, he did answer pretty quickly....
rock.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 31 2008,2:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Considering I've never heard of the guy... who cares what his opinion is? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but... I mean, if he was a really important guy in the BBing world, maybe it would be different.</div>
er, here is his info just in case u're interested.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bobc.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bobchic.htm

he's not exactly top olympia material.
tounge.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jun. 01 2008,2:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">link?</div>
it started when some gal doubted his theory of low impact cardio (which i'm using btw)

wat one guy said - Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
Here's a IFBB pro bodybuilder's opinion on the matter:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bobchic3.htm

just sayin'.......

her reply - Oh wow, that's great, another opinion....once again, lacking any physiological science. Some if it's downright wrong. Just being an IFBB pro doesn't make you a physiologist/kinesiologist/exercise scientist/microbiologist. It just means you got your hands on a lot of steroids and had the money to spend to get to the top.

(edit the to then) then......

wat she said - Originally Posted by gfundaro View Post
&quot;Is it really that important to so fervently defend your preferred cardio method? Not everyone will get the best results just because a certain individual or group adheres to that method. We get so caught up in the opinions of others that we can't make up our own minds anymore.&quot;

his reply - At 5'0 and a sandwhich shy of 140 lbs...you could stand to learn a little something about losing weight, sweetie...

Perhaps your preferred method of cardio isn't working?

now there's a new thread just made to ask bob to apologise to e gal... ***roll eyes

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108239691

Well, from just the little bit of what you have posted here I can tell that he is just another arrogant, roided up prick.

And as most others have already said. You can't take the opinion of a roid user because their training methods don't need to be as precise as they do for a natty. If you started taking all the crap that the pro BBer's do you would grow doing just about anything.

Now you gave me a novel idea...stick needle in...mow lawn...stick needle in...wash truck...stick needle in....paint shed...
I'm happy, wife's happy...
laugh.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 01 2008,10:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now you gave me a novel idea...stick needle in...mow lawn...stick needle in...wash truck...stick needle in....paint shed...
I'm happy, wife's happy...
laugh.gif
</div>
Well, she's happy until she sees your ccard account balance!  
tounge.gif

Didn't someone post a study here somewhere that showed low intensity cardio is the best for preserving muscle?

I'd love to see a video of an ifbb pro doing something like HIIT...watching 31 inch thighs sprint down a race track would probably be pretty funny to watch

<div>
(hotterdog @ May 31 2008,10:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Answer: &quot;As yet another 3-lettered training system....it's fine for 99% of regular people trying to get fit, or maintaining a physique, or even could be of benefit to guys training for sports in general.

For a competitive BB......not so much.&quot;</div>
I guess all that really matters is how the people using HST like it...and how it works for them. As far as I know, we don't have any members who are pro BB's or who aspire to be one. Maybe he's right, HST wouldn't cut the cheese for a pro, but who cares!

Exactly Quad. It's not that HST wouldn't work for a juicer. We know it would but the method has to change or else you are likely to get injured hurling around huge amounts of iron. There's stuff in the FAQs from Bryan about Boris' training. Here's a quote:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, if you were going to embark on a cycle lasting several &quot;years&quot; in order to begin competing at a high level, you would want to cycle weights and do some SD in typical HST fashion. When going on a cycle lasting for years, you would pretty much train as if you were natural, accept for taking advantage of increased work capacity and recovery ability. However, you would still benefit from the HST-type cycling of weight loads and SD, its just that the time frame for this cycling would be stretched out considerably.

Guys Like Millard and Boris (click the HST tab above) have adjusted there training pretty much as I suggested above. They will start with 15s or 12s, and increase the weight each workout until they either hit their 5s, or stop because the weight is not safe to use anymore.

Both Millard and Boris, independant from one another, found that they needed to stop increasing the weight beyond their 8 rep max for safety.

They don't do SD, unless they go off completely for an extended period, and if they don't go &quot;off&quot; they only drop the weight back down to 15s if they get a strain injury or sore joints (elbows are very susceptible). The 15s seem to really work well for getting rid of tendon pain.

Of course, the diet is paramount. Continued progress requires sufficient calories and protein.

For those of you who don't know Millard, he is one LARGE man. He is a mean 260 off season. Hopefully he will show some pics soon so people can get over the notion that &quot;nobody big uses HST&quot;.

Millard made a very good comment about the lower reps that was also said by Boris Kleine (monster from Germany). That is, that HST seems to induce quite significant increases in strength all by itself, but when the hormonal mileu is optimized, strength goes through the roof. You have to be careful using such high poundages (600 deadlift, 572 incline bench is just plain heavy!) These guys are getting so strong using HST style routines they have to hold back for safety. This in no way means that HST is not the best way to train, quite to oposite. But, safety is safety, and everyone has to use their head in the gym.

HST is about principles, not blind adherence to somebody's predetermined workout. Anybody can use these proven principles to start growing again...no matter what their current level of development.</div>

I stopped listening to what pro BBers have to say about training a few years ago. Their methods simply won't work for a natural.

Back