Anybody do DB bench?

My shoulder was bothering me today barbell benching, so I switched to dumbells.

I managed to do the 85s (pounds) for 5 reps. I was pretty psyched as I haven't done these in a long time and I don't think I have ever been able to handle the 85s.

I am just curious how much weight other lifters are doing with these. I am not sure how good this is relative to other lifters.

About the same as you but I can get them for about 10 to 12 reps.

Im scared to push it anymore than that due to my (pec injury)

If you remember...before my pec injury I got all the way up to 125 pound dumbells for 5 reps...I could bang out the 90's for many reps...then I got hurt and had to starrt over at 20 pound dumbells.

I could prob do more...but Im scared to try it!

85 though are very good IMO...but knowing you Sci...like I think I do...you want be satisfied until you get to 125 at least!
biggrin.gif

BTW...IMO Dumbells are way better for chest growth than barbells!

PS...I just realized you are from Asheville...you should check out the weight room at the Biltmore House...it was pimped out back in the day!

Until I get my rack sorted I'm going to have to do db press. I'd like to know how loads equate between bb bench press and db bench press for you guys.

Tomorrow I have to use dbs for my 15RM w/o. If I was using a bb I would be using 90kgs. I'm sure if I tried 45kg dbs I wouldn't make the reps so I'm going to try for 35kgs and see how that goes. I think I have a tendancy to lower the dbs further than if I use a bb so I'm doing more work with the same load using dbs. That and the balancing/control issues are probably why I have to reduce the loads so much.

i think your db press #s will jump a little once get more "in the groove" with the movement. just like if you took 2 months off from bench to db press you would still progress and get stronger (pecs,delts,tris) but your 1st time or 2 back at the bench press would not be at your strongest (that groove thing again). within a week or two though you would get a more accurate #.

i used to alternate bench with press a few yrs ago. could do 225 for @3 on bench and could do 85-90 for 5. i havent benched in quite while (shoulder issues) but my db press has improved to 110 for 5 (at my largest @220). not sure if thats any help to you, honestly i just never enjoyed or had much success with bench. perhaps my form was poor but when things got heavy i just never felt it in the pecs. db press and dips i def. feel the pecs working and dont have any shoulder pain so i probably wont go back to bench.

thanks, bluejacket. I am definitely going to stick with these for awhile, at least until I strengthen my rotators (again! I got lazy about my RC work...doh!
blush.gif
)

I do DB bench, mentioned it a couple threads down, its noticable by the 0 replies.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, Havent done flat since end of last summer.  However, they are on my next HST routine, A/B.

On a 30 or 45 degree incline,doesnt matter, I managed 90lbs X10 on my last HST cycle.   I also managed 95X5, just to make sure it wasnt a fluke, I repeated it the next chest day.

Check out BB.com, Ive seen some relatively small folks pushing 100's for reps,  bas***ds.  haha

I don't do flat bench, but managed a 5x low incline of 80 lbs on my last cycle. This was a cut and things started to go to hell at the end -- I started to loose some strength and had to stop there.

I got up to 90s for my 10RM, but had to stop for 5s, as I don't have a spotter to help get the dbs in position. I was also VERY pleased to break 300lbs for mr 5RM for bb bench. I think I might be going too heavey though, as if I remember correctly you are a good amount bigger than me.

I am 6'2" 211lbs @ ~12-13% bf and my arms are only 16.5" cold
sad.gif
Perhaps I should lessen the load and increase the volume (just a little)? My shoulder ache in the 5s anyhow!

Nuetral Grip Pulldowns
Flat BB Bench
Leg Press (2 full sets)
DB Shoulder Raises
Rows
Incline DB Bench
Situps
DB Curls
Machine Tri Ext.

That was my routine last cycle (skipped db bench in the 5s). Any thoughts as to why my strength is higher, but my lbm is lower? I don't care about strength anymore, I want size!

If you are getting stronger but not bigger, the most likely culprit is diet. Are you getting enough calories? Are you keeping qulaity protein intake high? Multivitamins and other supplements?

If you are already doing all this, then maybe you do need a little more volume.

I got bigger, and stronger...

However, if I recall correctly, you have 17"+ arms, but your lifts are less than mine. I know strength does not always translate to size, so I was hoping that maybe there is something I missing that will give me the additional size I am looking for.

LOL!
I wish. You are bigger than me. I am only about 206 right now and my arms are only a little over 16". Arms are not my best though. My thighs are 25" which I think is awesome as a guy who (until recently) had 'chicken-legs' his whole life.

You are definitely bigger and stronger than me. You are doing HST right, no worries.
cool.gif

<div>
(jwbond @ May 28 2007,17:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was hoping that maybe there is something I missing that will give me the additional size I am looking for.</div>
As far as I know, it's a program called experimentation.

<div>
(jwbond @ May 28 2007,15:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I got up to 90s for my 10RM, but had to stop for 5s, as I don't have a spotter to help get the dbs in position.  I was also VERY pleased to break 300lbs for mr 5RM for bb bench.  I think I might be going too heavey though, as if I remember correctly you are a good amount bigger than me.

I am 6'2&quot; 211lbs @ ~12-13% bf and my arms are only 16.5&quot; cold  
sad.gif
 Perhaps I should lessen the load and increase the volume (just a little)?  My shoulder ache in the 5s anyhow!

Nuetral Grip Pulldowns
Flat BB Bench
Leg Press (2 full sets)
DB Shoulder Raises
Rows
Incline DB Bench
Situps
DB Curls
Machine Tri Ext.

That was my routine last cycle (skipped db bench in the 5s).  Any thoughts as to why my strength is higher, but my lbm is lower?  I don't care about strength anymore, I want size!</div>
At 6'2&quot;, 16.5&quot; arms probably don't seem like much to you but they are certainly heading in the right direction.

I totally think that you should stick to your heavy loads for bench etc. as long as your form is good and your joints aren't feeling too beaten up.

have you tried Max-Stim to allow you to continue to increment the load once at the end of 5s without increasing your CNS drain/fatigue that much? As well as heavy chins and dips (I notice you don't have those in your list) you might find that some really heavy sets of curls and close grip bench (or skulls or french press) are just the thing to start pushing your arms up to 17&quot;. It worked for me (although I'm down a bit now after my 4 month cut but will soon be back up there again now I have access to food again
smile.gif
).

thanks for the input everyone, and sorry for the thread jacking!

My goal is to be at 205lbs @ 8% with 17&quot; arms by sometime this summer, I guess there is no &quot;trick&quot; that I am missing (I would have found it after all of these years of lifting if there were).

<div>
(jwbond @ May 29 2007,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks for the input everyone, and sorry for the thread jacking!

My goal is to be at 205lbs @ 8% with 17&quot; arms by sometime this summer, I guess there is no &quot;trick&quot; that I am missing (I would have found it after all of these years of lifting if there were).</div>
That's a healthy goal JW...how tall are you?
I'm 5'11&quot; at 205lbs., 16-1/2 to 17&quot; arms (depends on what time of month?) but with a ton of bodyfat. Took a long time to get here.

I'm 6'2&quot;. I think the 205lbs @ 8% is within reach this summer, but the 17&quot; guns to go with it might have to wait a bit ;)

I am now at 209lbs (after morning piss) @ ~11%bf. My arms have shruink down to 16.25&quot; since I last posted, which I am guessing (and hoping) is due to carb depletion.

I am thinking I will need to get to around 210-215lbs @ 8% for the 17&quot; guns I have been longing for, which is definately another year away
sad.gif

I'm glad I read this thread. I have always felt like I was on the weak side as a lifter. My last cycle slight incline (first incline notch on the adjustable incline bench) db bench 5RM was 95 lbs (190 total). That's not tremendous considering I weigh about 230, but it looks decent for now after seeing similar numbers here.

I think it might be better to switch to barbell presses because I could start at the top position which would make the heavier weights a little easier. I'm just afraid to do barbell bench without a spotter, and in a crowded gym I hate having to wait for a cage (or whatever it's called, with the &quot;safety pins&quot; ) to open up.

Do you guys do bb bench without a spotter? What happens if you miss an RM and get stuck at the bottom?

Back