arthur jones dead + bally bs

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
Well, now I know the pioneer behind Nautilus equipment.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">“It really took us out of the Stone Ages,” said John Wildman, interim chief marketing officer and senior vice president at Bally Total Fitness, the nation’s largest health club chain. “When it was just dumbbells and barbells, the perception of the industry was it was just power lifters and bodybuilders.”</div>

How is this line from Bally's bs?

I still to this day go back and read some of the old nautilus bulletins - and I'm always struck by how much different they are then what the average muscle heads "stereotype" of  Arthur Jones' HIT seems to be . I think that Mentzer really had the most to do with taking Jones' Ideas to a ridiculous level.

Arthur was actually a proponent of 3x/wk full body training for the average lifter - in fact the last paragraphs of bulletin#1 could easily have been a "rough draft" of HST, I quote:

"in almost all cases, best results from heavy exersize will be produced by the practice of a very limited number of compound exersizes that involve the major muscular masses of the body, and such training should be limited to no more than five hours of weekly training in any case and to about four hours in most cases.
                   In practice best results are usually produced by three weekly workouts of less than one and one half hours each."

I really do think that when most scoffers think of HIT and Jones they may be erronously thinking of Heavy Duty and Mentzer .

I shudder to think where we'd be today if Jones and gironda ( and later Yates ) hadn't come along to "counter-balance" the strangle hold Weider and his principals had on hypertrophy thinking in general.

Here's a link - to the nautilus bulletins , check them out you may be suprised at how sane he was.

http://www.arthurjonesexercise.com/

smile.gif

'...the machines helped to transform dank gyms filled with free weights and hulking men into fashionable fitness clubs popular with recreational athletes.'

Whatever -- so long as it keeps them from doing curls in the squat rack...
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Here's a link - to the nautilus bulletins , check them out you may be suprised at how sane he was.</div>

Added to my internet library!

This one smeels like BS to me:

"Mr. Wildman said the innovation made the barbell antiquated. “Now, with one of these machines,” he said, “you could do a bench press that was better than the bench press you could do with a free weight.”"

Arthur was and remains one of the biggest influences on my thoughts on exercise and its possibilities. While I think some of his conclusions were in error (obviously), his straightforward, analytical approach to exercise was an enormous breath of fresh air when I first encountered it, and still is many years later.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">"Mr. Wildman said the innovation made the barbell antiquated. “Now, with one of these machines,” he said, “you could do a bench press that was better than the bench press you could do with a free weight.”" </div>

Good point about that line being some bs

Back