bb military press

chickeneater

hello,

somewhat new to these boards. Question though, I was reading Bryan's routine and he mentioned that he does bb military press where he lowers bar
rock.gif
to top of head only. My first assumption was less stress on rotators.
But, I'm wondering was there a discussion on this somewhere? Is this a generally accepted HST principle of some sort? Or just soley Bryan's personal comfort twist on the excercise?...thanx

''But, I'm wondering was there a discussion on this somewhere? Is this a generally accepted HST principle of some sort? Or just soley Bryan's personal comfort twist on the excercise?...thanx ''

theres no HST principle that says anything about range of motion, most folks use a full one.

Lowering the bar all the way to your neck can put your shoulders in a precarious position especially if you have a pre existing shoulder problem.

Bryan does, I think he dislocated it wrestling.
biggrin.gif

I would recommend lowering the bar as far as you comfortably can.
biggrin.gif

thanx for the replies guys, yes, I prefer d-bells for mil's. Has bryan ever stated "why" he prefers just lowering to the head bb mil's?

I don't know why he does it but I can tell you from personal experience that when I was lowering the bar to my chest my shoulder joints started complaining about the abuse they were taking.  

Now I lower it to somewhere between my nose and my chin...in front, never behind the neck.  I put up more weight, grow better, get stronger, and my shoulders no longer bitch at me every night and every morning for doing MP's.

smile.gif
Funny, you asked if there had ever been a discussion on this. Well, there is one now...discuss away.

I understand how its better on shouldes.

However...partials....or partial range of motion is a great thing for bringing up certain areas.

But my view is if you are bringing the dumbell just down to your ears and then back up...you are getting a lot of tricep work and not all deltoid?

Correct???

No, deltoids are fully active during the range of motion where they are above the nose and higher, there is no need to lower the bar to chest. If you are going for deltoid stretch, then side-incline or side-lying laterals are best, not miltarys.

I've been doing standing bb press for a year now. My preference is to lower the bar to just above my upper chest. It doesn't give me any rotator cuff problems nor does it bother my AC joint (which flat bench does).

Back