Bench Press Form

Bob Evans

I was working out at my new gym where I sometimes lift with the personal trainers -- on their off time. One guy spotting me pointed out that I was lining up the wrong way -- too high-- the bar was tward my eyes not my chest. So I was over working my shoulders -- I have probably been doing this for 25 years now -- arrrrrr. I have really strong shoulders!!!

I also remember John Parillo in a book saying you should press your shoulders down tward the bench -- to accentuate the pec in the movement. So I am finishing my negs now -- and now and then next cycle I will be able to focus on my bench press form... and work the chest more.

Any comments of bench press form? Sure it is fun to lift alot but I want to "work" and grow the pecs.

:confused: Bob

Shoulders should be shrugged back under your body, traps held tight. Creates a more stable base.
The bar at the end of the movemnet will have to be in a line over the shoulders otherwise you cant support the load. Bar should be taken down to around nipple line or slightly below and then pressed back to the starting point.

thanks guys!!

So so at the low point it is around my tits and then at the high point it is over the shoulders -- so it is a bit of an arch movement? right? (I think I was both raising it and lowering it around the shoulders)

Robert

I have always benched to the top of my chest which it also says to do in Fausto's exrx link. Isn't the nipple line a bit low?
Jazzer :)

lowering the bar to the same level as your shoulders may increase its pec training emphasis, but it also creates a much higher risk of injuries to the poor shoulders.

one small thing I forgot to mention --- I am talking incline bench. I do the incline/dip combo ala Bryan. I am not smart so I just do what I am told.

So does this stuff still apply?

Rob
tounge.gif

Sorta, but its nearly impossibly to take the bar that low :)

its different than a normal bench, so its gotta go close to the shoulders

Guys/Rob

I am with Aaron on this:

Flat - to the middle area of the chest, tit level is just right, I personally do it this way.

Incline - higher up on the chest as lower makes it rather unconfortable.
thumbs-up.gif

Ok so on my incline line of attack will be between the shoulders and tits -- probably closer to the shoulders.

I think I had been going high on the shoulders (eyes!!)-- so this will be an improvement for me. I look forward to using my 15s to grove a new "stroke" - not unlike golf.

bobby
happy.gif

On the bench press - I only tuck my shoulders, as I feel driving with the legs and arching the back in any way is basically cheating, and not as functional. Can you guys give any insight as to why I should/shouldn't use leg drive and an arch? I know he recommends these two things in Starting Strength (Mark Rippttoe, that is) but I dunno if I should follow suit.

I also go up uneven. My left side tends to go slightly higher. It's nothing pronounced, but if you look close, you can see it, and it feels a bit awkward for me, which is how I knew. What is this because of? Should I try benching with dumbbells for awhile to see if I have equal strength levels in both sides? My bench is level, so it's not that. I dunno what it could be. Is this even normal?

Is the row supposed to be the same as the flat bench for perfect proportion, or is the bench going to be naturally higher? Due to the mechanics of the movements, the row seems as if it will always be lower than the bench. Is a rowing weight 2/3 of your bench plausible? I know Bill Starr advocates at least 2/3 for leg extension/leg curls for muscular balance. Too bad these guys never went into rowing in detail!

For upper body exercises, this is how my strength works:

Dips > Chins > Rows > Flat Bench > Incline Bench

I think that in terms of training for bigger boobs, youi shouldnt arch your back like a PL, but there should be a natural arch in the upper and lower back, not completely flat as some would do it.  Leg drive will be limited in this position, but some is needed, mainly to maintain a good solid base

i do bench to nipple level,i did it the other way it put too much pressure on my shoulders,i also like to put my feet on the bench sometimes it stops you from squirming allover the place and keeps your back where it should be,i hate to see guys lift huge weights with there back and butts off the bench enough to drive your car under it,why bother.

Does the bar in bench press have to touch your chest because my safety bar on the power rack stops the bar for touching?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Oct. 14 2005,7:18)]Ok so on my incline line of attack will be between the shoulders and tits -- probably closer to the shoulders.
I think I had been going high on the shoulders (eyes!!)-- so this will be an improvement for me. I look forward to using my 15s to grove a new "stroke" - not unlike golf.
bobby
happy.gif
I usually come down to my chin when the weight gets heavy. But that is a "groove" that seems to work for me to avoid injury. A different groove may serve others better in this regard.

Back