Best overall whey protein

I want what most people want in a whey protein, a quality product that tastes good and isn't too hard on the wallet.

I have been buying mine at GNC and while the quality and taste are decent, the price seems high. I know I could get whey protein cheaper online, but I don't know which companies have the best products as far as taste and quality.

please don't use this thread as an advertisement, as spam will likely be deleted. Just quickly list which product(s) you prefer.

GNC is a corporate ripoff, solely existing to take your money. They could care less if their products work or not, have listed ingredients in them, or have a 1200% markup.
Whey powder in general is still just a fast-absorbing protein, no? So the main thing is the amount of protein per scoop to get you up to that 40-50g you want for X bucks.
Beyond that, there is some science as I recall for or against hydrolyzed powder and some of the different processes in manufacturing, but I can't recall the 'rules' - it still boils down to what whey is used for: quick uptake around the workout or a fill-in when you can't get a meal. I haven't heard of any whey that won't fullfill these purposes. Sometimes there are supp stores around, Walmart used to have a good one...I look for "ON" or "CytoSport", "Dymatize", or "Prolab". Simply because they're fairly to completely inexpensive and contain no sugar, aspartame or bat feces.

I get 22 lb buckets off of bodybuilding.com once or twice a year for about $120 or so each. Just get vanilla, then you can add whatever flavors you want to make it more palatable. The brand I get is some generic brand. Let me go check the bucket...

...looks like it's called Bioplex.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with it. I'm not picky about taste though. The main thing for me is the convenience of having a 22 lb bucket. Also, if I wait a while before placing my next order, they send an email begging me to come back. The email includes 10% off my next order, so that brings the price down by another ten bucks or so.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 01 2007,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I get 22 lb buckets off of bodybuilding.com once or twice a year for about $120 or so each.</div>
I may do that next time. I just ordered another 5 lbs of TwinLab 100% Whey Protein for $26.50 delivered, from Amazon.com last night. The bigger container might be an asset. The price is about the same per pound, but I keep running out. I've been taking 2 grams per pound of bodyweight daily and I've been buzzing through the protein powder like it's going out of style.

[The rant at DogCrapp recommended 2g rather than just 1. I've found that taking in that much protein tends to limit my carb intake, too].

Rat: that's a really good price! I usually pay a bit more.
Hmmmm...22 lb. buckets...you could just curl them instead of taking it.

Honestly, I buy what Sam's club carries at the time because it's convenient and fairly cheap. Used to be Body Fortress -- mediocre tasting. Now it's EAS. Tastes good. My last 6 lb bag was $22. I just checked the price today and it has gone up to $26 per 6 lb bag.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 01 2007,16:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yup, whey prices are supposed to be taking a jump.</div>
Yup, they'll be going whey up...
cool.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 01 2007,13:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 01 2007,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I get 22 lb buckets off of bodybuilding.com once or twice a year for about $120 or so each.</div>
I may do that next time. I just ordered another 5 lbs of TwinLab 100% Whey Protein for $26.50 delivered, from Amazon.com last night. The bigger container might be an asset. The price is about the same per pound, but I keep running out. I've been taking 2 grams per pound of bodyweight daily and I've been buzzing through the protein powder like it's going out of style.

[The rant at DogCrapp recommended 2g rather than just 1. I've found that taking in that much protein tends to limit my carb intake, too].</div>
That's mainly my motivation behind it. I hate having to buy whey frequently.

Just if you do buy this stuff, make sure you look around the net first and find some promo codes or something. You can usually find something to get the price down somewhere.

Optimum Nutrition is great protein, but certainly not cheap by any means. ~25 grams a scoop I believe. I used to buy mine off bodybuilding.com for much cheaper than it sells at GNC... but lately have been buying the GNC brand because of gift cards and whatnot. As Tot said, look around online and see which specials are going on. Different sites have different sales going on all the time, I remember buying NO-xplode for like 20 bucks.

supplementwarehouse.com

I just bought $60 worth of 10 lbs of protein - shipping included. Tot's deal is a bit better, but if your budget isn't that high then give that website a look.

I ended up buying a 10 lb. bag of Optimum Nutrition WHey for $63. I bought it at GNC on sale, its the same price online so why wait for shipping? However I will probably order online next time, because I don't want to wait until its on sale again at GNC.

Vanilla flavor, tastes good. 24 grams of P/scoop. Whey prices have jumped everywhere and is partly why I started this thread.

GNC is a ripoff!!! if you have a gold card, you save 20% of whatever you buy. but, they jack up the price and when the 20% kicks in, its the actual price. at the end of the month, go to GNC.com and see how low the prices are. but at the first weeks of the month, it freaking high!!!

BTW, i buy ON whey 5lb for $27. best protein out there, IMO.

Back