Bulking Diet advice

mazmonsters

Hey guys,
I am going to post my diet and take any advice from the guys who have been around for a while. I am 5'10", about 187 lbs. Body fat??? probably around 15%. I am just starting the HST cycle for the first time, and I am looking to put on mass, as clean as possible. I would like to reach anywhere from 205-210 over the next couple of months. I calculated my calorie intake according to Bryan's method and figured I need around 3080 cals per day. I am currently at about 3289 per day. How does this look to you?

7:00 am 16 oz. skim milk
             1 medium banana
             1 scoop of whey protein (20 grams)
             1 Tbsp Flax oil
             2 Tbsp Maltodextrin mix (20 grams carbs)
             = 66 carbs
                38 protein
                14 fat
                (542 cal's)
10:00    2 eggs
            6 egg whites
            1/2 cup oatmeal
            2 slices whole wheat bread
            = 63 carbs
               42 protein
               9 fat
               (501 cal's)
1:00     3 oz. Chicken
           1 small baked potato
           2 slices whole wheat bread
           1/4 cup corn
           salad w/olive oil
           = 61 carbs
              35 protein
              14 fat
              (510 cal's)
4:00    8 oz. grape juice
          20 grams whey protein
          creatine
4:15    WORKOUT
5:00    16 oz skim milk
          10 grams whey protein
          2 Tbsp Maltodextrin (20 carbs)
          = 46 carbs
             28 protein
             (296 cal's)
6:30   3 oz chicken
         4 oz (dry 4 oz) pasta
         1 large grapefruit
         1/2 cup spinach w/olive oil
         = 124 carbs
            49 protein
            14 fat
9:30   16 oz. skim milk
         1/2 cup cottage cheese
         1 Tbsp flax oil
         = 31 carbs
            33 protein
            14 fat
TOTAL
431 grams of carbs
245 grams of protein
65   grams of fat (excluding the fat in the boneless       chicken breasts)
(3289 calories)

This is my workout diet. My days off, i still take in the same calories, but instead of my dinner consisting of 124 carbs, i keep it at around 65, and also pre-bed is about 65.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks gang
smile.gif

cals, protien, carbs etc all seem to have the "right" total amounts i just dont see enough actual food to add up to 3200cals. i did not try to figure the math etc. but 3oz of chicken is nothing and it looks like your planning to drink many of your cals. for many that is the cheapest/easiest way to go, so be it. imo, there is no substitute for good food. you have much of it listed (chick, cott. cheese, eggs etc) just in what appears to me to be small amounts.

I didn't do the math either but was thinking the same thing. Like you said - 3 oz of chicken? That's nothing.

3 oz of chicken has 35 grams of protein according to fitday.com. The Maltodextrin has 9.8 grams of complex carbohydrates per tablespoon.
What is the confusion guys?
I have talked with different lifters who all say that maltodextrin is a good way to get your daily carb intake., provided it is after a workout or in the morning for breakfast. Is this not true?
According to Bryan, any protein beyond your gram per bound could actually hinder you.
So, I go a little over 190, but at least it's not below it.
What's your opinion?
What would you do? Add oatmeal instead of maltodextrin?
Thanks for your help
smile.gif

Ok, sorry about that. 3 oz of chicken does not have 35 grams of protein. My fault. So, I will add another ounce at least to make it 32 grams of protein at least. But how about the rest? do you think i should skip the maltodextrin powder?
Thanks again

Diet is pretty simple... if you want to put on mass, then eat more than you burn and if you want to take away from the gut and get cut up, then eat less than you burn.

Get plenty of protein especially around your workout.

After that... you want good fats and good carbs in your diet (low GI, but even that is not much of a big deal) You can take creatine, but that is more or less a temporary pump until you quit taking it. EFA's are known to help lean you out, so you may want to look into that.

You want to bulk... pretty good bulk since you want to put on 20-25 lbs in 3 months. Just make sure you eat at least 500 calories over maintenance.

Lift, eat, and grow!

Thanks colby. I realistically don't think I can put on a decently clean 20 lbs in 3 months. This is a goal for more along the lines of 6 months. I just wanted to know how good the regiment looked to you all. I know that many speculate about eating huge in the morning, then post workout, but low carbs through the rest of the day. Other guys say it doesn't matter, as long as you get in your calories. You could eat 4000 calories before you go to bed if you want. I just thought this was a good menu, and wanted to get your feedback.
Thanks a lot
smile.gif

Back