Bulking question

I

imported_electric

I have decided to pay a little more attention to the calories I am consuming. Although I try to eat a lot to bulk I noticed there was a big volatility in my meals so I wanted to really calculate the values to see where I stand.
I am 28, 5' 7"(1.70m), currently at 155lbs (70.5kg). I want to bulk and consider myself having a moderate activity level (workout 3x/week, computer job, no other physical activity). Using a spreadsheet someone posted here on the form I got to a value of 3250 calories spread 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.
I found out I was somewhat below 3250 in regular days and I am trying to increase that. Shouldn't be too difficult. But using this caloric need and 40% protein ratio the daily amount for protein is 325g. My protein shake with milk has 62g, some 400g of meat I had for lunch has 100g. I am having some hard time getting to the 325g...
Are my calculations correct (or at least reasonable) for calories and protein? If so are there hints to increase protein intake? Drinking several protein shakes per day is kind of expensive...

they dont sound far off to me.id have said around 3000cals no more at your present weight

ive just increased my protein intake again and all i can say is that im going off chicken fast. all you can do is increase the amount of meals you have per day if there arent enough calories in each meal.

<div>
(electric @ Apr. 30 2008,4:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Are my calculations correct (or at least reasonable) for calories and protein? If so are there hints to increase protein intake? Drinking several protein shakes per day is kind of expensive...</div>
I make no claim to be an expert about bulking. However, your current diet plan calls for 21 calories per lb of bodyweight. That seems a bit high. Numbers like 18 - 20 calories per lb/bodyweight seem more the norm.

It also calls for more than 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. That, too, seems a bit much. Even the guys at Dogcrapp don't call for more than 2g/lb (unless, perhaps, you are taking some form of &quot;chemical supplements&quot;).

If you can keep it up, you should surely have some good gains. Just be careful lest, at a &quot;moderate activity level&quot;, you add too much extra bodyfat.

Protein is expensive, but if you intend to consume 2g/lb, you're gonna hafta eat beef, chicken, tuna, and lots of cottage cheese, as well as those whey protein shakes.

It is not necessary to eat that much protein. If you just like to eat protein and don't have any renal or amino acid oxidation problems don't worry about it. Eating that much protein will not further speed up gains in muscle. Once the optimal amount is reached eating above that level is not going to speed up gains any further.

thanks
Coach Hale

Back