Caffeine and dehydration

techdraw

Hi everyone:

I have heard in the past that caffeine has a diuretic effect. I was wondering, does the caffeine in a cup of coffee or a soda cause the body to lose more fluid than is contained in the coffee or soda? The reason I ask is that much of my fluid intake comes from diet sodas (about 4 per day). The rest of my fluid comes from about 2 bottles of water and 3 protein shakes (powder mixed with water.) I am mainly concerned since I am supplementing with creatine and I don't want to negate the benefits of it by consuming too much caffeine and losing too much water.

Thanks for your help,

techdraw

the caffeine and creatine is a bad idea to begin with, without even delving into the dehydrating nature of caffeine. Caffeine inhibits the action of creatine, so you don't want to be taking them together in the first place. Losing water is not the main way in which caffeine hurts the productivity of your creatine.

caffeine effects against creatine are usually due to relaxation times, may be important for some sports, but I dont think weightlifting it really has an effect.

At least I know large amounts of people who have a site more caffeine than what is contained in 4 sodas and still have great effects from creatine

I've thought about this problem too since I usually end up drinking around 2 cups of coffee a day... Although I try to shoot for less, that's usually the average.

In my opinion, less caffiene is better for you... Depending upon serving size, brew strength, and brand you get roughly the following amounts of caffeine:

Brewed coffee: ~120mg
Instant coffee: ~85-95mg
Soda: ~40-55mg

So as you see, you get quite a bit less with soda if you keep the servings close.

Is there any research on the caffeine/creatine reaction?

Back