Calf Problems

precious_roy

I have read (I believe it was in the customizing thread) that, in general, high volume is needed to spur calf growth. My question is how high?
I perform 1 legged calf raises. My structure was to offset forward the calf exercises by 2 weeks. However, I do not seem to see much growth from what would be high volume for me. I think that I am somewhere in between having strict form with lower volume, and really high volume but poor form. I cannot seem to extend fully when I pass what would be my 15 rep maximum. When I go into my normal 10s and into the higher volumes, I do not feel much and do not see any growth.
What is a typical working weight? I see people, about my size and strength to eyeball (really tall and thin), doing 150 something on the seated calf raises with terrible form. Is that what is meant by high volume?

I don't know that anybody can tell you how much weight to use.

"High volume" would probably be considered anything over 5 sets.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see a lot of rapid changes in your calves. Just be consistant and over time, you'll get them built up. Even then, not everyone will be able to build huge calves. Genetics has a lot to do with what you ultimately end up with.

One other thing, I wouldn't put too much energy into seated calf raises. Try to stick with straight leg movements for calves.

I do what I suppose is seated donkey raises (calf raises on a leg press)......same body angles, straight legs that donkey raises have, but as there isn't that machine at my gym . . .

Anyway, I get a great stretch, and it's very esay to accomodate one leg at a time. The reason this is good is b/c I was getting to the stage where I had to add some 400kg+ to the machine, and it won't load more than that . . . .so now I just do around 230kgs on each calf.

I find that calves need high weights, you really have to push the envelope here. I use 3-5 sets each workout.

Mine responded better to load, 1/2" in 1 cycle. Using a hybrid movement of 1/2 squat and calf raise with suspended heels. Kept the ball of my feet on the edge of a 4X4, then pressed up from the bottom of the 1/2 squat continuing into a standing calf raise. I used the same load and volume as my squats.

Heavy loads were the same for me here. Also, LS's helped as well. And you can't beat some higher frequency!

I have also used the Calf-Squats that you described dkm. I found them better to do on a Smith Machine myself, as it took some of the balancing/co-ordination work off the knees. That exercise has a really great stretch at the bottom but I didn't feel it contracted fully/as well as other calf raises. But horses for courses....

so whats better for calves ? alot of reps? or heavier weights...
i was doing seated calf raise following normal hst rules...
its hard during the 5s to keep a good form and do a full range of movement

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so whats better for calves ? alot of reps? or heavier weights...
I tink both...but thats not really possible. I think that I will continue to stagger the calf exercises 1 microcycle ahead so that I am at high volume quicker, and maybe not so strict form. But I may try alternating between the one legged raises and seated raises to keep the stimulus changing. Thanks for chiming in everyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ April 24 2005,1:33)]Mine responded better to load, 1/2" in 1 cycle. Using a hybrid movement of 1/2 squat and calf raise with suspended heels. Kept the ball of my feet on the edge of a 4X4, then pressed up from the bottom of the 1/2 squat continuing into a standing calf raise. I used the same load and volume as my squats.
be careful I have heard of a lot of knee injuries from the use of a board under the balls of feet.

That's why I do half squats, but the board improved my Plantar Fasciitis, as a matter of fact I haven't had it since I started using the board.

Back