Calves training specifics

Randy

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I'm trying decide on a SPECIFIC routine for calves that is consistent with HST principles. Searching through these forums, there seems to be alot of different approaches. I would welcome any feedback from anyone who was a bit challenged in this area and came up with a routine that worked for them.
In a previous thread regarding calves at:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....2;t=642
Bryan wrote a couple of things that I don't quite understand:
"Start with SD. If you are running you will have to cut that out for a bit.
Start with 15-20 reps. Do this everyday while the reps are high."
What does "you will have to cut that out for a bit" mean in more specific terms...just the normal SD of 1-2wks?
Also, does "Do this everyday while the reps are high" mean literally everyday or every workout day ( 3 times weekly for people on a regular schedule)?
Thanks,
Randy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Randy @ April 18 2003,3:51)]"Start with SD. If you are running you will have to cut that out for a bit.
Start with 15-20 reps. Do this everyday while the reps are high."
What does "you will have to cut that out for a bit" mean in more specific terms...just the normal SD of 1-2wks?
HE mean cut the running out a bit, probably at least while you're SD'ing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, does "Do this everyday while the reps are high" mean literally everyday or every workout day ( 3 times weekly for people on a regular schedule)?
Thanks,
Randy

I suspect he means every day, even non workout days. Not sure though.

The approach which has worked the best for me is calf presses in either a leg press machine or a donkey calf press machine - any exercise which flexes the hip and increases the stretch on the calves. Then start out with slightly higher reps (around 20) and lower loads. Use higher increments, at least 20lbs. Add in dropsets once you get into REALLY heavy loads during the 5s and negatives. Negatives were essential in my calf development.
thumbs-up.gif

Bump what Blade just wrote. I changed from doing standing calf raises to using a hack squat machine which I would lay on my back and place feet up to work calf and have grown 1/2" easily. The sad thing is I have been using standing calf raises for a long time with minimum - no growth then all of a sudden when I am focusing mostly on arms bam. I get the most growth on my calves for a long time. I was also doing these as my last exercise for 2 sets and even on some days dropping to 1 or not doing them depending on time, just makes me shake my head.

Thanks for the replies. Got a couple more questions.

Do you guys only do 1 calf exercise per workout?

How many sets?

Blade, how many dropsets are you doing when you get to the 5s, in what increments are you dropping and do you stick to 5 reps on each dropset?

Do you think it's unecessary to do an exercise that isolates the soleus too?

Thanks,
Randy

One is enough. I do less than blade does. I do it just like the other exercises in HST. One leg standing calf raise machine, increment 10 lbs. 2 weeks of 15's then 2 weeks of 10's then 2 weeks 5's all by the book - 2 sets ea leg. They're growing fast and I'm trying to diet.

I do 2 sets most of the time. On the dropsets I don't really do any specific drops in load - I just remove a couple of plates (whatever is on there - 15kgs or 20kgs) on each side of the machine, do 5-7 reps, remove a couple more plates and do 5-7 more reps. Sometimes (since I do them unilaterally) I just do the 5 reps on each leg and immediately rep out with both legs, getting 15-20 reps or so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ April 21 2003,7:33)]The approach which has worked the best for me is calf presses in either a leg press machine or a donkey calf press machine - any exercise which flexes the hip and increases the stretch on the calves. Then start out with slightly higher reps (around 20) and lower loads. Use higher increments, at least 20lbs. Add in dropsets once you get into REALLY heavy loads during the 5s and negatives. Negatives were essential in my calf development.
thumbs-up.gif
Ah, I had not even thought about the extra stretch you get from using a leg press machine for these. I've been too lazy to load up the leg press machine with 45s when the standing calf machine is selectorized... Now that I see a good reason to change I'll do that in my very next workout. Of course, I'll have to go back into my logs to find what I used to use on the leg press machine and make estimates for this cycle...

Thanks!

Kirk

Doing one leg at a time means that you don't need as many plates on the machine - if you aren't already doing that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ April 25 2003,4:43)]Doing one leg at a time means that you don't need as many plates on the machine - if you aren't already doing that.
Duh, it's so simple. THAT's why I didn't think of it... :) One leg at a time. Will do!

Kirk

And don't forget the negs. My calves respond to weight more than anything. Doing one-leggers, mighty negs become a possibility.

Back