Changing from 5max to 10max

texas78

Hello
I've been training HST for nearly 5 months now;
15 - 10 - 5 - 5(2 weeks max) for two week each.

Have gained some, but i think i could understand/fix more to hst my program.

I know some aboute hst.. but i think ive been missing out on some serious stuff :eek:/
Why not run somthing like
   15rep
   10rep
   10rep(2 weeks max)
   5 rep.
Not ending with 2 weeks of 5rep max?
I was wondering aboute this becaus 10 rep should be better for volume.. or is it in hst?

truls of norway

Although it might be better for volume, volume is only one factor in hypertrophy. The 5rm is best for the load induced strain upon the tissue and since the heavier weight of the 5's takes longer to adapt to, RBE doesn't catch up as easy. That's why extending the 5's can be used for growth for a longer duration.

If you aren't growing during the 5's, it may be volume related, how many sets during the 5's are you doing?

One way to help ensure growth during the 5's is to concentrate on the heaviest lifts, Chins, Squats or Deads, Rows and presses, since the number of exercises are diminished you can add more sets to keep around your same time in the gym but the additional volume could do some good. Also in the 5's be sure you are adding in some metabolic work, high rep sets, drops sets or any form of sets that gets the burn going.

As long as you don't have any sore joints, you could also do 2 weeks of 12's, 2 or even 3 weeks of 8's and 2 or more weeks of 5's. Many people find that they grow better in the 8 to 12 rep range rather than the lower rep range. My personal experience has been that, for hypertrophy but not necessarily strength, lower rep ranges are more efficient for advanced lifters and higher rep exercises seem to provide more growth stimulus for beginner and intermediate lifters (less than 5 years of consistent lifting.)

Back