CNS support

need2eat

No, not looking for a government hand out.
biggrin.gif

All this talk of CNS has me wondering:

Are there any supplements worth looking into, to help maintain the CNS?

Are there any specific foods which might be more beneficial to CNS support/function, than others?

I vaguely remember a post over at Lyle's with Aaron and Mikey about eye twitching being a symptom of overtraing or CNS fatigue. This was due to an electrolyte imbalance. So whether or not Gatorade, as you said would help this, I don't know. I'd like to see the labcoats extrapolate on this.

As for Glutamine, as Quad conjectured, perhaps, if your talking in terms of immune support.

I've always noticed definite recovery benefits to Glutamine, as do some others. I still can't see any other benefits from it though. When I switched to HST, I no longer had DOMS all the time nor the need for glutamine. Returning to a strength cycle, I started using it again.

Think I have glutamine covered, its in the whey protein powder.

I once read a thread that discussed useless supplements and believe it or not, it came up. Thats not definitive but they had a good arguement, at the time anyway.

In either case, im getting alot of it.
biggrin.gif

Im kinda suprised at the lack of responses.

From what I can find, B-vitamins and EFAs are the most important nerve supplements.  For the brain, specifically, some folks recomment lecithin or acetyl-choline, but efficacy is debated.  There are some herbal products out there (see this, for instance: Amazon CNS Support), but I know little about their effectiveness.

Proanthocyanidins (OPCs) are powerful antioxidants that are said to cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB), as well as provide some protective effect for it (Effect of procyanidolic oligomers on the permeability of the blood-brain barrier).  You can get these in grape seed extract or in (usually more expensive) Pycnogenol.  Cranberries are also a good source.  OPCs have a huge number of positive health effects and are worth considering in any event.

Using 5-6g of glutamine a day I noticed a lessening of DOMS and a slightly quicker recovery when I had them. I know it's debated, but that's because it does work for some and not for others. I've seen threads where one guy mentions that effect and others would chime in with stuff like 'I hadn't thought of that, but you know, you're right' or just agreements. Then others always seem to jump in with cries of blasphemy! and instigator! - but unlike creatine (for which 30% of us are nonresponders) it's really cheap in bulk. Not that creatine is all that expensive either.

I dont feel relaxed ever...just the way it is...

Any specific foods to consider? Other than eat a hell of alotta grapes.

One word..........Poseidon. I heard too much about it, but still thought it was just hype. That is until I got my order in the mail. I never want to go without this stuff again. It is awesome for CNS support.

I read most of the thread on ButtBuilding.com and the home website info. Looks good, but I'd have a couple questions for you.
One, as a standalone, what are you comparing it to? I mean, I could care less about the skin stuff, but wonder about workout power.
Second, what effects do you mostly see/feel using it?

Back