Creatine & Alcohol consumption...

MrNasty

Long story short:
I strated taking Creatine. I met this new chick - a party girl. I take my creatine as usual (5g on off days, 10g on WO days(no loading)) 7 days a week. I also drink on the weekends (fri & sat nights). My thinking is the creatine, which helps fluid into the muscle, is being flushed out when I drink (assuming alcohol can be considered a type of dieretic of sorts).

Obviously I feel I'm wasting my time by taking the creatine since I'm drinking, otherwise I wouldnt have asked. What's your thought?

Ok, you know drinking alcohol will dehydrate you, lower your T levels, mess up your gains …..

Now on drinking nights try to drink as much water in between drinks as
possible (re-hydration) , take some vitamin C before and after when you get home
with another large glass of water.

Hope all the alcohol gets you laid. ;)

I'm glad you mentioned that (Vit C and water intake while drinking). I do exatly that. I usually take around 2000mg of Vit C, amoung other vits and minerals; it comes in the Emergen-C packets. I dont know if your farmilar with them or not, but 2 of those packets before I go out and a big meal & 2 packets when I get home (if I remember) with some milkthistle, cranberry extract, garlic, multi, and vitE. During the night, when possible, I'll drink as much water as possible. Usually if i go out to a resturant or kick it at someone house I'm ok; its when we get out to the bars that I forget. Its hard enough getting up to the bar to order a drink, let alone a glass of water. Even with all the preperation, though, I still usually end up with a hang over the following day. I guess that's a given, but it means (to me) I'm drinking to much. I'll have to find a happy medium some where in the mist of things.

As for the girl, well I wouldn't even drink or chill with her if it wasnt worth it. I really dont even care to drink. But this chick has got one of the smallest nicest most firmest @$$ I've ever seen. Whether I'm getting laid is another story. I leave that one out for speculation. However, I did say it was all well worth it...

laugh.gif

Thanks for the tips though mikeH. Appreciated...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Oct. 20 2004,6:38)]But this chick has got one of the smallest nicest most firmest @$$ I've ever seen.
ahhhh yes.... so did my wife
thumbs-up.gif

wow.gif
oh I mean she still does
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Oct. 20 2004,5:54)]My thinking is the creatine, which helps fluid into the muscle, is being flushed out when I drink (assuming alcohol can be considered a type of dieretic of sorts).
Alcohol is most definately considered a diuretic. Now, if the only reason you're taking creatine is to hydrate the muscles, alcohol will negate that for a day or so until you rehydrate. Other than that, alcohol has no affect upon the kinetics of the CK/PCr reaction that I know of; I suppose it could affect the reaction by altering pH levels but you shouldn't be working out while drunk anyways :) It can affect the uptake of creatine by skewing insulin-dependant transporters and electrolyte concentrations but you should already be "loaded" so it's not too much of a problem.

I personally care less about the "pump" that creatine gives and more about it's role in ATP repletion. As such, I don't really worry about alcohol adversely affecting creatine's ergogenic properties; it's the other stuff that Mikeh mentioned which you need to take into account :)

Obviously, no one can advocate drinking for a die-hard bbuilder. On the other hand, I love beer and tend to drink like a fish on the weekends and during sports events :)

A quote from the wed
“Creatine allows us to work harder, which is generally a good thing. However, this means that muscle recovery is more critical while supplementing with it. As alcohol consumption inhibits protein synthesis, a potentially fruitless situation may arise by mixing the two.”
Here is a couple of good writes on Creatine ……………
http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/creatine_newsletter_20.html
http://www.creatinemonohydrate.co.uk/creatinealcohol.htm
http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/3/H1242

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 21 2004,5:44)]“Creatine allows us to work harder, which is generally a good thing. However, this means that muscle recovery is more critical while supplementing with it. As alcohol consumption inhibits protein synthesis, a potentially fruitless situation may arise by mixing the two.”
The same could be said for combining alcohol and protein supplements, high protein foods, prohormones, any ergogenic aid, etc... It's definately not something centered solely around creatine :)

In general, alcohol is just bad to ingest with anything
:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cylus @ Oct. 21 2004,6:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 21 2004,5:44)]“Creatine allows us to work harder, which is generally a good thing. However, this means that muscle recovery is more critical while supplementing with it. As alcohol consumption inhibits protein synthesis, a potentially fruitless situation may arise by mixing the two.”
The same could be said for combining alcohol and protein supplements, high protein foods, prohormones, any ergogenic aid, etc... It's definately not something centered solely around creatine :)
In general, alcohol is just bad to ingest with anything
:D
I love/hate alcohol. It's evil ... but so much dang fun!!!

are alcohol's ill effects scalable with amount ingested?

like right now I pretty much avoid all alcohol within 2 days of working out. But I'd really rather not

Like is 3 drinks okay? How about 5? :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Oct. 22 2004,4:25)]are alcohol's ill effects scalable with amount ingested?
like right now I pretty much avoid all alcohol within 2 days of working out. But I'd really rather not
Like is 3 drinks okay? How about 5? :D
I wouldn't worry about it.
honestly if you're drinking enough to inhibit protein synthesis you have a bloody drinking problem and should get that sorted out before you worry about your muscles falling off.

note - if you're a contest bobybuilder disregard. In that situation all the thousands of minute details probably do add up. But if you're a generally normal person, meh, doesn't matter.

Back