Creatine and Chest Pain

UFGatorDude30

This is really a question for my pops, who has been working out with me this summer. I finally convinced him to buy some protein and creatine.. and after taking 5 grams a day for a week he is having bad chest pain. I told him not to load, as I don't really believe you need to. And I wanted him to take it slow for his first time with it.

He is describing it as hard to swallow, and almost like acid reflux w/o the acid... if that makes sense. I know there is a bunch of threads already about creatine, but I honestly didn't want to search through the 1000 threads that had creatine in it.. and obviously I got some concerns for my ole man.

Anyone got anything on this? I know the heart is a muscle, could it be causing enlargement?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I told him if it goes on for another day to get off of it for the time being.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any input is greatly appreciated. I told him if it goes on for another day to get off of it for the time being. </div>

That is about the only advice you can take at this moment.

I found some of these tidbits...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">High Cholesterol

A preliminary study suggests that creatine supplements may help lower levels of blood lipids (cholesterol) in men and women with abnormally high concentrations of lipids in their blood.

Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)

In a few studies of people with congestive heart failure, those who took creatine (in addition to standard medical care) had significant improvement in symptoms and exercise capacity compared to those who received placebo. </div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

Side effects of creatine include weight gain, muscle cramps, muscle strains and pulls, stomach upset, diarrhea, dizziness, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage. The weight gain is thought to be due primarily to water retention. Creatine should not be used by anyone who already has problems kidney function, high blood pressure, or liver disease. Taking creatine supplements may prevent the body from making it's own natural stores. The long-term consequences of this are not known. </div>

Chances are good that it is a digestion problem, not heart-related. If he wants to stay on creatine have him spread the 5-grams over several doses instead of all at once and make sure it is taken with a fast carb like mixing with grape juice. Good luck!

Back