Creatine / Caffeine

DanOz

Hey all,

I sincerely apologise if this topic has been done to death. I tried the search function, but it did not provide exactly what I was after.

I know there is conflicting research about the effects caffeine has on creatine supplementation. Some say it inhibits creatine effectiveness, others say it only does this when caffeine is taken in high amounts, others say that caffeine intake does not effect creatine effectiveness regardless of amounts.

My question is for those who take creatine.

Do you also drink coffee / ingest caffeine?
If so, how much per day?
Do YOU find any particular amount of caffeine affects your creatine results?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is old ground.

I put my creatine, when I take in, in coffee or tea, because it dissolves better. I've never noticed a difference.

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 14 2007,00:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How many cups of coffee do you drink per day?</div>
Average/day = 1

I start creatine up later this week.

Thanks guys -
I was looking to see if anyone had personally used creatine with success while drinking coffee on a daily basis, and find out how much coffee they were drinking.

I am restricting my caffeine intake to 2 cups of coffee per day, which for me is a significant drop. I will assess my creatine results on this dose of caffeine and adjust accordingly.

<div>
(Biception @ Apr. 19 2007,20:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Caffeine is a diuretic so maybe it prevents the hydration of the cells and creatine in the cells.</div>
That's possible, but I think that most people take their caffeine in liquid form i.e. coffee, tea, so it's probably not a problem. However, if you take caffeine pills instead, then I suspect it may be possible that the diuretic effect could be a problem.

I'm a big fan of coffee myself, but I probably wouldn't want to drink more than a couple cups a day. I don't know what the benefits/risks are of coffee consumption though... Personally, I only drink coffee in the morning, and drink tea the rest of the day if I really want a hot drink like that.

Tot, I beg to differ in opinion. I'd looked into the question of coffee as a diuretic although made with WATER, and the consensus is that it is still a diuretic, as are some teas. On the plus side, the general recommendation is to drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee to offset the effect.
I would assume that with creatine, you'd have to add 2 0r 3 glasses of water to that cup of coffee, except that with creatine, you're supposed to almost double your H2O intake anyway. In light of that, it would seem to me that inhibition of hydration at any level is going to be detrimental or at least could be detrimental, assuming that hydration is key for the benefits of creatine supplementation, which I've read; is.

But a single cup of coffee? I'd doubt that. I don't start getting dehydrated until after my morning pot, on the days I drink it. The teas don't seem to be very diuretic at all.

Back