Creatine dagerous? Look at what these people are

Thankfully, working at GNC doesn't guarantee someone a clue ;)

Once you reach saturation levels after loading or a couple of weeks of supplementation, the 2-5 grams a day is fine for maintaining those saturated levels, regardless of your meat intake, since the loss of creatine is minimal. In any case, I only eat fish as meat in my diet (pescatarian? *shrugs* parents were hippies and I'm a happy follower of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it") and I've been taking creatine for 9 or so years without any ill side effects. It wouldn't hurt that guy to take a class or two or read a journal or two before opening his mouth; he's a perfect example of the downside of an open medium like the internet with a forum like HSN being the upside :)

Oh, and you won't really get any "extra" effects as compared to an omnivore if you take extra creatine. It'll just take more creatine to reach saturation levels and, maybe, a little more to maintain them since your normal plasma levels will be a bit lower than someone that eats meat all the time. I've tried taking both 5 grams a day and 10 grams a day after saturation and haven't noticed a difference between the two but that's just my personal experience.

You might want to avoid that website. They don't seem to have much background education about suplementation. I think Martha Stewart would probably know more about supplements that that website.

Do a search here for creatine and safety. You'll find many references to independant long term studies looking at safety including effects on kidneys, liver, etc.

Of course, I'm not trying to push creatine on anybody, I'm just saying that even if you don't like supplements, you at least need to have access to the "truth" as far as it is known by those who study them.

they certainly seem to not know what they are talking about, but while i've seen many studies showing that creatine isn't harmful, i'm not sure why it doesn' put extra stress on the kidneys. is that like asking why lifting weights won't put too much stress on your bones? also, why is drinking extra water helpful (for kidneys, not in conjuction with creatine)

That was one pathetic web-site (forum). Lots of young kids giving advice on stuff they knew little to nothing about, and adults playing the role of expert cause they have been lifting for sooooo many years. Yikes!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ Oct. 31 2003,3:53)]Look at http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/workgnc.html True or false in regards to this stuff?
Also, I am vegan. Does this mean I can take more than the advised 0.3g/kg bodyweight in supplementation form and still get increased effects from the extra amount taken?
I'll say what nobody else feels quite comfortable in saying.

That is some of the most retarded nonsense I have ever read, and I sincerely hope the author(s) are high on a list of candidates for brain transplant.

Don't they teach the scientific method in high school anymore? YIKES! Mikey's so right-we're talking *seriously* ignorant here.
Jake

Back