Cutting and SDing

psychedout

I know you aren't supposed to bother SD'ing while cutting, but take my case.

I haven't missed a workout in 2.5 years and am probably suffering from RBE like nobody's business.

Should I take some days off or what?

Hello :)

Wow, we got a conundrum here eh?

To SD or not to SD, that is the question...

If you are really into cutting, like after you have just bulked up, are you supposed to SD?

That would really depend on your goals. If you are really into cutting (meaning you bulked up already), avoiding SD is simply a way to make sure your fat-burning capacity is still at its max.

But wouldn't the lack of SD significantly affect your muscle gains?

Yeah, but that's why I said it depends on your goals. If you are cutting (meaning you want to remove the fat now that you've bulked up), then you really shouldn't expect dramatic muscle gains. So no SD shouldn't be an issue.

But if you are in between, something like "semi-cutting and bulking", then you have to SD if you really want to see muscle gains. You just have to mind your diet strictly and take in more of the good fats. Often times, you don't really have to starve yourself to lose fat. Just make sure you get an optimum diet with lots of the good stuff and minimal bad stuff.

Hope that helps. :)
- JV

Simply stated, SD is not the best idea when cutting because calories are low. When one is restricting calories, muscle gain shouldn't really be a primary goal anyways, but more the prevention of muscle loss due to lower energy intake. My only question is if you are doing HST, why haven't you SD'd?

I would say SD, Protein Synthesis is probably reduced to a point well below most in your case. After 2.5 years you deserve a break anyway. Find your maxes first then take a well deserved SD
worship.gif

While you SD, be sure to keep your calories at maintenance, or even very slightly above. Don't start cutting your calories until you are lifting again. Even then, I would only cut them by maybe 250 under maintenance during the 15s, waiting until the 10s to cut back any further than that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 27 2005,9:01)]I would say SD, Protein Synthesis is probably reduced to a point well below most in your case. After 2.5 years you deserve a break anyway. Find your maxes first then take a well deserved SD
worship.gif
Protein synthesis actually reduces if you don't take time off of training? Evidence?

Back