Cutting Questions!

jww13

I have a few cutting questions:

[1] What's the ideal heartrate to aim for when doing steady cardio?

[2] How long should you keep your heartrate up?

[3] How many times per week should you do cardio?

[4] What time in the day should you do it? (also should you eat before/after doing it, etc?)

[5] How do you target burning FAT instead of muscle?

A little info about me... I'm 5'-8", 155 lbs. and currently bulking. I've gained 5-6 lbs. in the last 8 weeks of HST, about to go on SD. My bodyfat is around 11-12% (I'm guessing here.. I can see my abs but they're "blurred"). Anyways I want to bulk until May and then begin cutting.

[6] Assuming I reach 160 by May and that I accurately guessed my bodyfat, about how much weight would I need to lose in order to reach 8% bodyfat?

Thanks.

1 possible answer..

60 - 70% max heartrate
45 mins
5 days a week
on an empty belly (have a pro shake first thing to come out of
catobolism )
use a fat burner..sida cordifola stacked with a gurana/green tea/tyrosein product works well IMO

to maintain as much muscle as poss..
find how many cals you need to maintain body weight.
cut 300 - 350 cals per day
IMO you dont need to cut carbs, just the overall amount of cals per day

First I'm bumping this because I would like to see more discussion.

Second, I am in a cutting phase. Really I just started with weights and training, but my initial goal is to cut fat and if I gain some strength/muscle mass in the process all the better.

I am just ending my first week of HST. In addition to HST, what is good cardio? I know Bryan recommends incline treadmill walking at a brisk pace, but why is this preferred over, say, running/jogging?

I have been doing cardio for nearly 4 weeks now 5 days a week. Roughly 35 minutes a day (roughly 500 calories per run), lighter on lifting days, but haven't seen any weightloss. I am taking in good amounts of protein (.8-1 times my body weight in grams). Should I be doing this much if I am trying to cut? Of course, I have decreased my daily caloric intake, and everything I have read tells me that I should be losing fat with what I am doing.

4 weeks I am getting frustrated at the lack of progress I am making with my overall effort. Not only am I not seeming to gain strength, but I am not losing weight. Is it possible that I am gaining muscle mass while I am losing fat that somehow is evening things out?

P.S. I am roughly 6'3" 194lbs. (still) and roughly 13% bodyfat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jww13 @ Mar. 14 2005,4:06)][6] Assuming I reach 160 by May and that I accurately guessed my bodyfat, about how much weight would I need to lose in order to reach 8% bodyfat?
Thanks.
160 @ 11% is 17.6 lbs of FM

Getting to 8% is going to be hard to fiqure, because it depends on the how much of the weight lost is only FM and not FFM.

For example it you lost 5 lbs of FAT only you could be at 8% but you could lose 8 lbs total and still be at 8%. So it's tough to say.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lance @ Mar. 25 2005,7:34)]If you aren't losing weight, your calories aren't low enough, it's that simple. :D
that sounds great, but i feel like i am hardly eating and am CONSTANTLY starving... to the point where my stomach is uncomfortable.
i eat on avg. 1900 calories a day (1835 yesterday) and burn an additional 500-600 doing cardio. i honestly feel that if i change anymore I will be borderline anorexic.

is it possible i am doing too much. where my body is in starvation mode and retaining fat? should i feed myself something small when i get the hungries in my stomach :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (donnie @ Mar. 25 2005,4:13)]is it possible i am doing too much. where my body is in starvation mode and retaining fat?
Very possible. Cutting calories too much while training frequently and intensely enough can cause your metabolism to slow to a crawl. Matter of survival as you eluded to. If you continue to restrict calories as you are, just bump your calorie intake up (with quality food or supplements) every few days just for a day or two and see if that doesn't help keep the furnace stoked.

I agree, that seems awfully low, especially with all the work you're doing. I'd suggest that, or a cheat (or controlled) higher calorie day thrown in the mix, maybe eat at maintenance on the weekends and keep your calories that low during the week. I don't know, there are endless possibilities! =)

Back