Diet and Acne

Jon Stark

Study Reconnects Diet to Acne
December 10

By Scripps Howard

A researcher might rewrite the books on acne with his findings that candy, carbohydrates and cola play an important role in the skin disease after all.

Professor Loren Cordain of Colorado State University studied thousands of hunters, gatherers and farmers in Paraguay and Papua New Guinea whose diets contained no bread, cake, sugar, soft drinks, potato chips or pizza, and he didn't find a single case of acne.

His research, which will appear in this month's Archives of Dermatology, has caused a sensation in the medical community. For years, Americans have been told overactive glands and genes - not diet - caused acne.

Mr. Cordain led a study that looked at the Kitvian Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Ache hunter-gatherers of Paraguay.

The perfect skin of the two unrelated groups on opposite sides of the globe couldn't be explained by genetics, he said. People who lived nearby and who looked very much like them had their share of acne. They also ate very different foods. So the researchers zeroed in on the diet.

The Kitvian Islanders eat mostly fruit, fish, yams and sweet potatoes.

"They only have what you can grow in the garden or catch in the ocean," Mr. Cordain said.

The Ache people eat wild game, peanuts and a native root, sweet manioc, plus a tiny amount of Western foods. Mr. Cordain concluded that high-glycemic foods such as bread, cakes, sugars and soft drinks "may contribute to the acne suffered by 95 percent of Westernized teenagers."

Mr. Cordain and researchers from Australia, Sweden and New Mexico believe Western diets permanently boost insulin. Insulin elevates growth and hormones, stimulating an overproduction of oil and skin cells in pores. Those clogged pores feed bacteria that form blemishes.

The researchers say switching to a more natural diet might help reduce acne by better regulating the metabolism of insulin.

The theory flies in the face of 30 years of medical advice.

Copyright: © 2002 The Augusta Chronicle. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved

http://www.netrition.com/cgi/newsprint.cgi?file=20021210034557_0

Interesting study. But I think the culprit is O6:O3 imbalance. If the tribe eats wild game, then they are getting O3 from the animal fat. I notice this all the time depending on what fats i eat. If I eat a lot of polyunsaturated O6 fat, my skin feels softer but oiler. If I eat more fish or flax oil, my skin feels drier but less oily.

cheers,
Jules

To me it feels as if i increase my protein intake in my diet i have slightly more acne than usual. Even if the additional protein is made up of protein shakes, which include virtually no fat or carbs.

Lots of people have also told me that taking those amino acid pills can cause (severe) acne. That's why i have always stayed away from those.

So i was wondering, what's the role of protein in all of this, if there is one?

P

I have experienced the same. If i increase protein in my diet, I have more acnes than usual.
So based on my personal exp, I believe there is some relation between extra protein and acne. It maybe due to the indigestion extra protein causes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Dec. 11 2002,6:26)]Interesting study. But I think the culprit is O6:O3 imbalance. If the tribe eats wild game, then they are getting O3 from the animal fat. I notice this all the time depending on what fats i eat. If I eat a lot of polyunsaturated O6 fat, my skin feels softer but oiler. If I eat more fish or flax oil, my skin feels drier but less oily.
what's a good ratio, then? reading up these past few days, i remember that edo erasmus seems to like the traditional inuit diet as model, which i think was nearly 3:1 O3:O6

I use Udo. It significantly dries out my skin, so I add back in some GLA to compensate. I also take in high-dosage of fish oil, which helps with my lack of sleep.

It's possible you may have food allergies. Some people cannot take in dairy or fish without breaking out.

I'd first switch to olive oil, then add in fish oil in 250mg increments. If after 1500mg daily, you still see no different I would look into food allergies. I would at least drop wheat and dairy and see again.

cheers,
Jules

jules, thanks for the reply. interesting you mention the food allergies. i was (for myriad of reasons) up until three weeks ago eating more-or-less (not completely strict) vegan about 85% of the time. lots of soy and gluten. i don't think i had any of the typical allergies to those two however. my acne is minor, but was nonetheless present. but anyway, now that i've gone back (again, for numerous reasons) to my previous diet (where i ate dairy, eggs, and fish), and therefore greatly reduced my soy intake (and gluten even further), i still see no change. i guess i'll see what further adjustments i can make. advice?

btw, how do you buy your udo's? buying it at the health food store would probably get quite expensive, i imagine. any bulk places online?

bump
blush.gif

Back