Do you partake in other sports?

ian

I thought it would be interesting to find out how people feel about partaking in other sports (other than bodybuilding/power lifting etc)?

For example do you feel more sport is a good thing? (Extra cardio, core strength etc)
Or do you feel it’s a cardinal sin (Uses energy that could go towards muscle building, chance of injury).

As you can tell by me putting up such a post, my thoughts are mixed.
I’ve injured myself in the past playing football (soccer to you Americans) and I also found it hard to put on weight when I was playing regularly. However, I have started boxing more and more and am considering starting to play football again, I’m just wary of the effects it may have on my weight training.

there is a reason many BB'ers do cardio and others don't. Supposedly, cardio (or your 'other' sport) will assist your BB'ing abilities by increasing V02 max, protein synthesis, ATP production and the like. But others feel that they'd rather put more energy into the lifting. And some of us just can't EAT enough to support both.
Well, that didn't help a bit, did it?
blush.gif

<div>
(ian @ Jan. 14 2008,12:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought it would be interesting to find out how people feel about partaking in other sports (other than bodybuilding/power lifting etc)?

For example do you feel more sport is a good thing? (Extra cardio, core strength etc)
Or do you feel it’s a cardinal sin (Uses energy that could go towards muscle building, chance of injury).

As you can tell by me putting up such a post, my thoughts are mixed.
I’ve injured myself in the past playing football (soccer to you Americans) and I also found it hard to put on weight when I was playing regularly. However, I have started boxing more and more and am considering starting to play football again, I’m just wary of the effects it may have on my weight training.</div>
Aimless training serves no purpose. We train for something. What do you train for? Football. Boxing. Cycling. Etc. for instance, I train for golf even though I do none of the golf specific exercises. Whole body strength training is just as good if not better. The point is that I train for something and this thing is more important than training. So if my training interferes with the reason I train, I look to adjust training so that it doesn't interfere anymore.

Like work. I work to live. I don't live to work. If work gets in the way of living, I'll quit. Anyway, there's only so much time in a day.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I work to live. If work gets in the way of living, I'll quit.</div>If you quit living because the work got in the way, the work won't get done! But if you were living at work, you'd solve the problem.
Clearly.
laugh.gif

I love lifting, and I spend more time doing that than any other physical activity, but in the warm weather, I love road cycling. I may attempt a sprint triathlon in the future too, but not competatively -- just to see if I can do it.

I also hunt and fish.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aimless training serves no purpose. We train for something. What do you train for?</div>

Well, primatily, I lift for appearance. I want to look good!

I don't do sports anymore, but I originally began weight training to improve my performance in Wing Chun (not wang chung tonight) but became hopelessly addicted to lifting up heavy things. Now, I train in order to improve my deadlift. Oh, and being able to do all kinds of everyday things with ease, and heavy work that other people can't... well, that's a nice bonus.

We were chopping down trees a couple weeks back, my dad, brother and I. After we cut them down, we trimmed off the little branches from the logs. I use a kukhri. I was slicing through thick branches in a single stroke, sometimes through multiple branches in the same stroke. My brother and father, well... let's just say, they've got some motivation in the gym now.
Hell, it motivates me when I see how easy stuff like that has become. Maybe if I keep going, some day I won't need a jack to change a tire anymore! Hah. Yeah, that'd be great if it happened in real life.

I started lifting out of pure hobby a few years ago, and my main motivation was appearance. Nothing much has changed. I don't lift to get better at tackling someone in that one game of pickup football that I play a year. It certainly doesn't help me on the job with my mental capacity.

Cool topic.

I actually would've needed a different choice in the poll:
&quot;I play other sports a lot, but lifting is still more important.&quot;

I play either racquetball or tennis 3-5 days per week year round.  I play these very competitively and I enjoy them immensely.  I know they hinder muscle gains, but that's a trade off I'm willing to accept for the enjoyment factor of the sports.  

I lift for health and aesthetics, in that order.

It's interesting to hear everyone else's &quot;take.&quot;

S

Back