Done with Starting Strength, new to HST.

Myrrhman

As the title says, I just finished doing SS and I achieved a good foundation of strength. Now I'm ready to move on into another routine and I've read that HST is very good for mass, but I still don't know how it works. So far I got this routine in mind (3 times a week):

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Legs[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Squat

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Chest[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Bench Press

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Back[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Chins
Rows

Traps
Shrugs

Shoulder
Shoulder Press
Lateral Raise
Rear Delt

Biceps
Barbell Curls

Triceps
Triceps Extensions

Calves
Calf Raise

Abs
Weighted Crunches

Am I supposed to do 15 reps the first 2 weeks, 10 reps the 3rd and 4th week, 5 reps the next 4 weeks, rest week a
nd then the whole cycle begins? Also, what exercises would you add/remove? Also, there's this article with another HST routine but it's very different and I'm somewhat confused http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw39.htm , should I do that instead? To be honest I never liked stiff-legged/romanian deadlifts and I rather do regular deadlifts instead. Same with split squats, I rather do regular squats instead.

You're not 'supposed' to do anything but progress weight and, if possible, volume, over the course of the macro or overall cycle. The 15/10/5/Negatives template is a cookie cutter approach to allow people to understand the principles involved. I've done 8/5/3 for the rep ranges. I've also done 20/10/5. Also 24/16/8. The important thing is that the load increases consistently over the course of the 8 weeks. If you follow the basic cookie cutter template you would do two weeks working up to your 15 rep max, then two weeks working up to your 10 rep max, then two weeks working up to your 5 rep max, followed by negatives.

For addition and removal of exercises just review them and find out if you're over or under working any particular group relative to others. It's a personal thing more than anything else beyond that, and personally I don't like so many isolation moves. My workout is as follows:

Day 1
Squat
Bench
Row

Day 2
Deadlift
Clean and Press
Lat Pulldowns

I find when designing a workout you're best off starting as simple as possible with the basic movements and then adding as you see fit, not trying to do a whole new approach from scratch. The basics are tried and true and they work. Start there and build up, don't try to put the whole building together before you've poured the foundation.

Myrrhman, I would make my workout look more like CDBs which is one of the best routines I’ve seen someone post here in a long time (Legs/Push/Pull), one exercise each hitting things from different angles by splitting the routine.

My second HST cycle was just the following done 3 times a week for a total of 3 workouts a week:

A/B

Dead Lift / Squat
Flat Bench / Shoulder Press
Pull Up / Cable Row
Barbell Shrugs / Barbell Calf Raises

My third cycle was the following done twice a week for a total of 6 workout days a week:

So with that I think I’ve finalized my exercises for my first real HST cycle after I SD.

A
Dead Lift
Flat Bench
Pull Up (wide grip)

B
Squat
Dips
Chin Up (close grip)

C
Calf Raises
Standing Shoulder Press
Cable Rows

These were probably the two most productive HST cycles I’ve done.

Back