Exercise selection with a few questions

Louno

Hey hi,

Im wondering if i could do other exercises that are better than the ones im doing now for a few muscles,

for abs, im doing crunchs on a pressure machine, and im also doing sit ups on a inclined bench.
What exercise can i do that would work my abs more efficiently, Also is it true that working out the obliques will make your waist larger ( something you want to avoid ? )

For chest im doing flat bench press and Flys on a machine,
would it be best to do decline bench press + Fly ? to get better chest ? would i lose strenght on the flat bench if doing so ?

shoulders im doing shoulder presses on a machine so i can get nice increases, with dumbbells there isnt enough room for increases, is there something more efficient tho ?

Lats im only doing pull downs ( chin ups on a weight machine ), i dont have any pullover machine at my gym, and id like to focus on developping my lats on the next cycles.

thanks !

Lats - WG pulldowns are great for lats, alternate with CG if you feel like slightly different innervation.

Chest - decline press >> flat bench. You won't lose strength on your flat bench, although it might take a rep or two to get the groove of it back after not using it for a few months.

Shoulders - I use machine press, find it works great.

Abs - not sure which is the best exercise. However the answer to your obliques question is 'yes', large obliques will increase your waist measurement.

for most exercises that i do i have a progressively loaded stretch set too. so for bench with dumbell flyes, ab curl machine with the hyperextended ab machine. for shoulders i do sitting dumbell press with lying lateral raises. you can go online and look at POF training, Positions of Flexion. I basically use the compound + stretch excercises they list along with the HST setup. good luck

pzhang

Thanks,

decline is way better than flat bench press ?
has anyone switched from flat bench press to decline bench press with good results ? better gains strenght and mass ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Louno @ April 22 2005,3:59)]Thanks,
decline is way better than flat bench press ?
has anyone switched from flat bench press to decline bench press with good results ? better gains strenght and mass ?
The bench press is not better than the decline bench, in fact, the opposite is true.

For pecs, dips are the best overall mass maker. With good form, they're safer on the shoulders. Also, they provide a better stretch with some heavy weights.

Next best choice would be dumbell presses. Incline variation is fine if you're trying to give your upper chest more stimulis than your lower chest.

Don't forget a fly to seal the deal. Flys have very high stretch potential, pretty much sealing the deal for hypertrophy. If the weights are heavy enough, i'd do LS's ... Vicious turned me onto most of these thoughs and he was right on the money.

I'm still doing Bench, but at the end of this cycle i'm going to test my max(s) for dips and incline db bench (slight incline). I'll share the results.

what is the proper form for dips targeting the chest ?
a picture( or movie) would be great but words are fine hehe,
i do dips on a seated pressure machine, i think its more for the triceps than anything else... ?

Proper form .... hmmm ... i'll do what i can with explaining it but i'm sure O&G can give you precise directions.

Basically, to hit the chest, i'd say wider grip, and lean your body more 'forward' with your legs back a little bit. I mean, just start dipping until you're in a position that's killing your chest and not hitting your tri's nearly as hard i guess.

BTW, we have a 'dip' machine in my gym too, and it's definately just for the tri's. When you're sitting back, pushing down, it's not different than a tricep pushdown or any other peak-contraction tricep movement.

here's a link to a description of a "chest" dip...

Gironda Dips

not a great picture, but hey...in short, chin on chest, elbows out straight to sides, body in an "arc", feet together - pointed down

I try to lean forward some with my legs back, but I pretty much return to vertical once I start hanging weight from a belt, can't help it.

I say if u want a bigger chest. Forget decline all together. Do inclines. Everyone is different, but I quit doing declines months ago. I just didnt feel it realy working my chest. I have been told many times, if u want that big chest, the incline bench is where ur gonna get it.

IM OUT

Back