Exercise Selection

Captain Crunch

Which do you like better, seated rows or bent rows? I usually do seated rows both wide and narrow grip on alternating days just because it is easier to set up the machine than to set up for doing bent over rows which I like to do on a flat bench for strict movement and less strain on my lower back. I was just wondering if I should be incorporating the bents back into my routine on the next cycle for a change or if it is better then I will make it happen. If bents are better do you like single arm rows or barbell rows? I would think that you can use a lot more weight with a barbell but maybe the ROM is not as great as DB's.

Thanks

Mike

I use dumbell rows, the ones where you use a bench for support. These ones: Dumbell Bent-Over Row.

I too thought that I would not be able to use as much weight for these as for barbell rows until someone on this board said that the reverse was true--you can actually use more weight per arm using dumbells than you can with a barbell. I think he had some nifty explanation for it, but I forget what it was. I found that with dumbell rows I can do just as much weight per arm as I can with a machine, but I generally prefer free weights over machines, so I go with the dumbells. Good ROM is a plus as well.

I like bent over rows, though I prefer using a barbell just to save time. I'm alternating between BB and DB each cycle though, as the DB rows certainly do feel like they give a better stretch.

Yeah, I'd choose bent-over rows over seated cable rows any day. I like barbell and dumbbell varieties and, like Tot, am alternating between the two in each cycle.

You might go with one-arm dumbbell rows on a bench if you're concerned about your lower back. Also, if your gym has a T-Bar unit with a pad against which to brace your torso, that's a good lower-back-sparing alternative.

Personally I prefer seated rows when I get to my 5RM and beyond. Clustering 15-20reps at your 1,2 or 3RM for BOR's sounds like playing with nitro, with regard to the lower back.

Back