Exercises to avoid

Heavy Duty dude

What exercises/techniques do you guys think should be avoided because of injury risks?

The ones that I know of that don't have a good reputation are:
- upright rows
- press behind the neck going too low
- squats on the smith
- stretching to much the shoulder when training the pecs - on flyes/dips, etc.. -.

In my gym, trainers are told to not have people do the eccentric part too deep. Do you think it makes sense for most exercises or only for some?

Wanna share your opinion?

:)

The Olympic lifts, unless you are a competitive lifter and have been trained by an experienced coach.

SLDL = using poor form (rounding your back)
Box Squat = (spine compression)
Hack Squat = (Sheer forces on knee joint)

Any ego-lifts like Bench, Squat, and Deadlift are dangerous when you use too much weight sacraficing form.

Totally agree about the weight and form. Any exercise where you sacrafice weight for form will be bad.
And behind the neck press or pulldown is bad. I saw someone at my gym tear this shoulder doing behind the neck presses and I never even though about that again.
Smith Machine squat is not dangerous provided you know how to execute it properly. I think that the problem is (and it is true for normal squats) that the bar is supposed to move at an angle during a squat, not straight up and down. If you try and use the Smith Machine and squat normally, it is dangerous. You have you adjust your form so that the plane of motion is vertical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 13 2005,9:35)]SLDL = using poor form (rounding your back)
Box Squat = (spine compression)
Hack Squat = (Sheer forces on knee joint)
Any ego-lifts like Bench, Squat, and Deadlift are dangerous when you use too much weight sacraficing form.
Gonna have to disagree with box squats being particularly more dangerous than other variations of squats. I think most powerlifters would tend to agree with me, too :p

Isn't a box squat just a squat where you decend far enough to touch your butt to a box? Or do you actually sit down on the box?

On box squats i think the idea is to transfer the load to the box... done incorrectly, this could be bad news for the spine IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 14 2005,8:43)]On box squats i think the idea is to transfer the load to the box... done incorrectly, this could be bad news for the spine IMO.
so if done incorrectly, like ANY exercise, is dangerous?

you better not walk out on the street, as done incorrectly, you will die.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ July 13 2005,8:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 14 2005,8:43)]On box squats i think the idea is to transfer the load to the box... done incorrectly, this could be bad news for the spine IMO.
so if done incorrectly, like ANY exercise, is dangerous?
you better not walk out on the street, as done incorrectly, you will die.

Listen, this is a thread on exercises to avoid, alot of these exercises are controversial.

You don't have to jump down my throat i'm simply stating my opinion on them, hence the "IMO" - ie. IN MY OPINION, not stating it as a fact.

I'm contributing that's all.

Most of these lifts DONE correctly COULD be safe.

Sorry if i offended you.

It's true that opinions differ from person to person. Personaly I think the squat on the smith is terrible. I wrecked my knees twice because of it. Also hard for the lower back. Since I've been doing free squats, I've had no problem at all.

About agonist and antagonist muscles, do you think it's important to maintain a balance to avoid joint problems? I talked to a trainer and he said it's not really important. I'm not so sure of what he said.

When it comes to dangerous exercises obviously opinions do differ but also if done correctly most if not all exercises should be fine. So I guess it comes down to 2 factors - 1) how easy is the exercise to perform with the correct technique and 2) how dangerous are the consequences of not performing the exercise correctly?

Again this will vary from person to person but if you compare deadlifts to arm curls then I would say the deadlift is much harder to do correctly as you have to concentrate on doing a lot of things in unison - gripping the bar correctly, keepying your back straight, lifting with the legs and the shoulders at the same time etc etc whereas with curls all you really need to do is make sure you keep the rest of your body pretty still. In addition - if you don't manage to do this with curls then the effect may just be your biceps don't grow as much as they can, whereas you might end up never lifting again if you do the deadlift wrong.

So in conclusion, walking out on the street is fairly easily to do correctly...but the potential consequences if done incorrectly could be nasty!

Cheers

Rob

i squat down to a bench, i use the bench as a measure so i dont go past parallel..i dont sit on it just touch it and then back up.

Talking about good mornings, that exercise scares me. When i first did Max-OT that was one of the exercises they had on there. 5-6 reps max overload with good mornings is very scary. Won't be doing those agian.

any "New" or made up exercises

I have a good friend who damaged his back by trying 1 legged Romanian Deadlifts
crazy.gif
I guess he figured if you can do 1 legged leg press well it follows...

I'll say just stick to the basic tried and tested ones

I have to say good mornings have always scared me. I've never tried them however, so..

It's true that sometimes we're scared of exercises and it's not really justified.

I think a lot of the injuries that happen because of the guy not being properly warmed up or not being concentrated.

In fact when you see people train it's pretty rare that they really force.

For instance I always do 20-rep squat and I've never hurt myself, except once when I didn't take the load properly. It had nothing to do with the load being heavy or the fact that I force a lot. It went away within a few days fortunately.

The exercise itself is often not the culprit.

Back