Fast and slow protein

Angermeans

I'm wondering when to drink my fast protein (milk protein) and the slow (soya). Which is better to be taken before a workout (lets say 1/2 hour prior to it) and which after workout.

Thank you in advance...

You want to take a fast protein just before your workout, so it can get to your muscles during the workout.

You want to take a slow protein after, so the protein will be available for a long time while your muscles recover.

Note: "milk" protein is not descriptive enough. Whey is fast; casein is slow. Both are in milk! (And I'm not sure soy can be called slow.)

If you can't afford or can't source good protein powders, you might be better off going with food, especially for the slow/after.

Hi Angermeans,
As edziu pointed out, "milk" is a slow protein. Casein is also a slow protein. Whey is a fast protein as is soy protein isolate. Primer (Whey isolate & concentrate) is a fast protein. Driver (Micellar casein, calcium caseinate, egg & milk protein isolate) is a slow protein. All meat is slow protein.

Take your soy before your training and drink your milk afterwards.

If you can't afford protein powders, I would suggest having a high protein meal about 45 minutes before training. Try to get about 50 grams of protein in this meal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Primer (Whey isolate & concentrate) is a fast protein. Driver (Micellar casein, calcium caseinate, egg & milk protein isolate) is a slow protein.
have you any references for digestion speed, or are you making an educated guess?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 06 2004,6:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Primer (Whey isolate & concentrate) is a fast protein. Driver (Micellar casein, calcium caseinate, egg & milk protein isolate) is a slow protein.
have you any references for digestion speed, or are you making an educated guess?
Whey and casein were used as the basis for establishing the "fast" and "slow" protein designations by Boirie, Frubeck, and others.

You can't speed up a protein by adding another type of protein to it, you can only make it slower, so the blends that I chose were either designed not to effect the absorption rate, or to slow it further. Some goes for GI and carbs. You can't really increase a carb's GI, you can only really decrease it or it remains the same.

While discussing absorption rates with my suppliers, they have commented on micellar and the caseinates with respect to absorption and said they found them both to be slow and relatively equal at that.

Soy research has been done as well as wheat protein isolate and has demonstrated that isolated vegetable proteins are "fast".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Jan. 07 2004,3:43)]While discussing absorption rates with my suppliers, they have commented on micellar and the caseinates with respect to absorption and said they found them both to be slow and relatively equal at that.
that would be relatively obvious :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Soy research has been done as well as wheat protein isolate and has demonstrated that isolated vegetable proteins are "fast".
One area I have never really bothered keeping track of, as the only protein sources I can purchase from shops are whey based, or if I get sourced thru work, I can get any dairy protein, but its harder to get.

I didn't really know which protein is fast and which is slow so thanks for the info (I knew that animal proteins are better assimilated than vegetable proteins so I thought that vegetable proteins should be "slow" while others - "fast"
blush.gif
).

Affording protein powders is not really a problem for me, the real problem is that I live in Eastern Europe and I don't really trust most of the products sold here. That's why I preffer using whole foods. From all US dietary nutrion companies only MLO, Universal, Optimum and Scitec are available. So maybe I'll stick to Optimum whey...

in terms of protein powers unless everything that is stated on label is in the box - everything is OK
if you are interested in any product made in Poland (any company from Poland) contact me I will give you my opinion :)

will taking whey protein on non-workout days be productive? since its fast acting protein, maybe it has no use if i don't workout afterwards. will eating slow acting protein will be more beneficial on a non-workout day? ;)

Your general assumption that a slow protein is better for general use is correct. However, a whey shake in the morning even on non-workout days will help you replenish muscles more quickly in the morning, when you first wake up. But generally speaking, if you are not going to do the whey first thing after waking, then you could take it right before working out on workout days and use a slower one the rest of the time. Which is a real bummer, because the slow ones are much more expensive.

Brak

I workout around 8
wow.gif
0 at night. I take ON whey before workout, then right after I workout I have a shake with 2 cups of skim milk, 1 cup of oats, a banana, and 2 scoops of ON whey. Then right before bed I have half a cup of cottage cheese (which is slow I think). I have about 1.5 hours max between the time I have the shake and the time I go to bed and eat the cottage cheese. Do you guys think it matters that I'm having a fast acting protein right after workout?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brak @ Jan. 23 2005,1:19)]Your general assumption that a slow protein is better for general use is correct... Which is a real bummer, because the slow ones are much more expensive.
Brak
Since Bryan says you can slow down a fast protein, I think you could just mix your fast protein with milk and that would make it a slower acting protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (magneto576 @ Jan. 23 2005,1:51)]Do you guys think it matters that I'm having a fast acting protein right after workout?
As per my above post, I would say no. I think the milk slows down the protein.
The directions on Bryan's Primer, (fast), protein says "mix with cold water. You can use skim milk, but this will delay absorption."

Total newb when concerning diets..

But is protein intake really that complicated?

Will you really reduce the hypertrophy effect if you don't eat every 2-3 hours?

I'd think aiming for a certain amount of calories over a single day, and a certain percentage of those calories as protein/carbs/fat, and making sure that some of those calories are taken just before and just after the exercise itself would be sufficient.

Am I wrong?

I'd also like to ask, protein can be turned into fat, as well as carbs, does that mean this can also be reversed?

How does the body use the fat it has stored? Is it only for fuel for the cells, or can it also be used for growth?

S.

Good heavens i'm a lactose intolerant. i can't get slow protein quickly right after WO. i have to rush home , overtake all the cars ahead and cook eggs
laugh.gif

Stan, protein can be as complicated as you want to make it. Your basically right in that as long as you get the right ratio of fat/carb/protein you will make gains. However, if you want to maximize the efficiency of those gains you will pay attention to what type of protein you take, when you take it and what you take it with. So for example, you could skip the pre-workout protein and still make your quota for intake for the day (and still grow). You would make better gains without working any harder, just by adding protein to the PWO meal. So, your not wrong but if you want to make the most out of your time in the gym it is something you should pay attention to.

Back