Fausto's current log

Fausto

HST Expert
Here is my current program, so far it has worked well, however it has been interrupted quite a bit, my tendency has been to get back into it from the 5's onwards, carefully.

I have had at least two 7 day breaks and decided it was worth "milking" the 5's a little longer!

Deadlifts/Squats
15° B/B benchpress/Dips
Chins (UHCGrip)/Pendlay Rows (BB)
Military press/Lateral raises + Bent over superset
Incline Curls + Pushdowns (have been using this one occasionally, when I am up to it)

The set up is A/B, 2 x week.

15's x 1/ 10's x 2/ 5's x 3 (sometimes more specially for squats, deadlifts and bench) where I warm up considerably.

Squats sometimes ends up being 6 sets, with 3 work sets, sometimes 2 work sets dependding on the feel of the day.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 16 2007,09:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The set up is A/B, 2 x week.</div>
Fausto, is that 2x A and 2x B, ie 4 workouts per week? Or 1xA and 1xB, working out twice a week?

Looks like a good setup. I tried 4x per week once when doing Max-Stim but found that it's too high a frequency for me when loads get high unless I'm doing an upper/lower or similar split.

LNT

Its twice per week,once A and once B.

AS I said I am milking the 5's as far as they go, till my joints start complaining.
biggrin.gif

Hey,Guess its time for an update!

This is my last week, because of the easter break, I'll take an 11 day SD and then re-start from 15's again, don't know quite yet what i am about to do.

Guess I'll browse and pick something,most likely it will be very similar to the one I just finished.

Might even try Mikey's weekly HST variant!
wink.gif

Colby I haven't tracked results for a while, bodyfat is a little better than it was, weight +/- the same. Build though is looking better! Check pictures.

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 03 2007,06:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby I haven't tracked results for a while, bodyfat is a little better than it was, weight +/- the same. Build though is looking better! Check pictures.</div>
I saw the pictures... pretty good results Fausto. Now you need to start bulking? Possible try a slow bulk to keep the lean look through the summer months - then again, you live in the southern hemisphere.

Colby

IMO I need to lean up the mid section still, not quite happy with almost 17% BF.

Will bulk at another time,what i might try is to see whether Berardi is right or not regarding G-flux!

Ok,I have decidede to use Mikeys dual factor variant, if that is what you call it, O &amp; G also uses it, it is the variety where all 3 rep schemes are used within the same week.

I'll use the exact same set of exercises, possibly as supersetssdo as to save time and will only alternate the deads\squats for obvious reasons, having to decide alone whether to do the deads with 15/10 or 5's I have decided to go for the 10's for now.

They will be done once weekly for 10's as opposed to the squats which are done 2x week.

Another thing I am considering is to perhaps do SLDL's instead and not alternate anything but use all exercises in a perfect split (eg: 2 x squats +2 x SLDL's during 5's or 1 x bench + 1 x dips during 15's).

That's my ramble.

Fausto, it will be interesting to see how this method goes for you.

I did 10 rep deadlifts (sumo style) in my current HST run, but mainly because I wanted to do them for 5s and hadn't done sumo much, so decided to do some before I got to heavy weights. The most I did was 2 x 10 x 240, but that was enough for me. I usually consider 3 reps high reps when it comes to regular deadlifts.
tounge.gif

In the future I'll probably save regular deadlifts for the 5s, and opt for hyperextensions, good mornings, or SLDL for higher rep ranges.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 16 2007,05:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">High-rep deadlifts are fun! NOT!  
ghostface.gif
 240x10 IS brutal I admit.</div>
once i got to 300lbs i stopped doing 15's they just got too much.

that looks like a nice tidy workout fausto.although again squats and deads ooch!

faust you could try the workout i did last cycle which was a 6x a wk A,B,C, fullbody i gained 3lbs and dropped a trouser size.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 16 2007,05:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">High-rep deadlifts are fun! NOT!
ghostface.gif
240x10 IS brutal I admit.</div>
I was doing 200 x 15 and that was brutal, and I have to agree that the 240 x 10 is tough as well!

Fausto,

A question about your A / B routine workout.
Typically with HST the protocol is to complete 6 workouts over a two week period at each rep range, and then continue with the 5's. With the twice weekly A / B routine, are you sticking with the 6 workouts thus a 3 week cycle, or are you reducing each mesocycle to 4 workouts and retaining the 2 week cycle?

Hi Hamrc51

Here's what it looked like, I very much kept the cycle as it should be, only difference is that I used it 2 x week.

So to answer your question yes, the 6 workouts worked out over 3 weeks instead of 2 per rep range.

I am changing things now though, going 3 x week again.

Faz

I am told I am making working out my god, goodness...me? Idolatinzing? Nooooo.

Yeah, I know...one I start there is no going back...its called discipline, what to do...agree to disagree?
tounge.gif

Guess I can only push so much. I'll stick to 3 x week

As far as 10's for deads if it gets too much, I'll just o start doing 5's instead.

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 18 2007,08:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's what it looked like, I very much kept the cycle as it should be, only difference is that I used it 2 x week.

So to answer your question yes, the 6 workouts worked out over 3 weeks instead of 2 per rep range.

I am changing things now though, going 3 x week again.</div>
Fausto, what did you think were the pluses and minuses for you of 2x / week frequency versus 3x / week? I went to 2x / week in post-5s for a HST cycle that I just finished but still only made it one week past the end of the 5s. I was thinking of doing an upper/lower split 2x/week each for a full cycle and would be interested in your thoughts and experiences there.

On the high rep deadlift thing, I'm thinking of keeping squats in every workout and adding some good mornings for lower back and posterior chain work until I get to the 5s. It might be another option to consider, although GMs aren't necessarily all that easy an exercise either.

LNT

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto, what did you think were the pluses and minuses for you of 2x / week frequency versus 3x / week? </div>

I must say I thouroughly enjoyed the extra rest, 2 day/3day thing, it allowed my body to recover well from the beating one gave it during 5's sessions, essentially it gave one a feel that it could go on for a very long time before having to pack in and going on SD!

The focus was there as I had a good partner, the only two variables I am not too good at keeping tabs on are:

1 - Diet, eating more than I need and keeping track of what I eat.

2 - Rest - Usually get 5 - 6 hours sleep except weekends, man...just don't seem to be able to get this one wrapped up, 7 - 8 hours would have been a blessing and the results would be better I am positive of that.

The positive thing, I still got results from it albeit minimal. The 3 x week thing, well I could argue that my body responds a little better to higher frequencies, but then...I do like the extra rest I get.

An upper/Lower split would be better I think as you could load volume a little better, try it I'd say!
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 19 2007,00:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">An upper/Lower split would be better I think as you could load volume a little better, try it I'd say!
wink.gif
</div>
You read my mind
biggrin.gif
. That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'd like to use more volume, higher for me though maybe not for some others. A split would help with that. I might have to cut back a bit when the loads get high, but I'm also thinking it's worth a try.

Back