First time HST, need help with diet

I

imported_dmgwalsh

I had been doing Korte's 3 x 3 most recently. I'm deconditioning now and on monday I plan to start the HST. I'd like a little help on diet, if possible. I've read a lot of the posts and the article about getting big, but I'd still like a little help.

i'm 51 years old, 5'10", 168 lbs, bf about 15-18 %. Of course I'd like to get stronger and get bigger muscles but I don't want my "love handles" to get out of control.

I'd like a little input on pre and post workout nutrition. Usually, I have just been doing protein after workout. I gather I should do protein and carbs before and after workout. I don't have time to buy Primer and driver this cycle. What types of protein and carbs should I do pre and post workout. I have a lot of maltodextrin. I've used sweet tarts and smarties pre workout. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Also what total cals should I shoot for if I want to gain a little muscle?

Should my total cals or fat/carb/protein breakdown change at all during the different stages? Thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis,
If you don't have time to get Primer and Driver, just get a good Whey Protein powder for pre workout, and eat good mixed meal afterwards with quality protein (beef, poultry, egg whites etc). Immediately Post-workout is when it's important in my opinion to have dextrose or other carbs along with your protein to replace liver and muscle glycogen. If you're not eating a meal, have a snack with casein like cottage cheese or make your shake with milk plus dextrose and/or fruit.

Take your weight times 18 to 20 to get your needs for gaining and you'll just have to play with the numbers to get it right for you; everyone is different. That would be around 3000 to 3300 for your weight. I have found in my short time doing HST that it burns a lot more caloires than a typical high volume split, and I am still trying to find the amount that works for me.

I personally don't change my ratios much, but others on this board do vary their carbs and calories in different phases. I just increase my cardio when losing fat and later on reduce calories only slightly.

I don't know how you keep track of your nutrition but I have found Fitday to be very helpful in tracking ratios, calories and even micronutrients.

Hope this helps -- I'm sure you will get other opinions.
Elle

()))---()))

Elle- Thanks for the reply. I guess others are too busy to help a newbie out or maybe they figure the info is here somewhere for me to find.

I guess I'll use whey protein and maltodextrin pre workout.
Should i then use whey protein and dextrose post workout? Can I use soy? What is a good source of dextrose and is it different from maltodextrin? Are smarties or sweet tarts dextrose?

I kind of like lowcarbing but lately I've been doing a 1/3 split on carbs, protein and fat. i suppose this will be ok.

I have used fitday a bit in the past and willl use it now.

Is it necessary to do 7 meals?

Thanks for your help. Dennis

wow.gif
2-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dmgwalsh @ Jan. 16 2003,7
wow.gif
2)]Elle- Thanks for the reply. I guess others are too busy to help a newbie out or maybe they figure the info is here somewhere for me to find.
Then there are others like me that are watching quietly. I think, for many of us, that the nutrition part of working out is the most difficult. I have no problem in the gym, I understand the physical part of this thing very well. But I have struggled for years on the diet part. I constantly walk the tightrope between "Not enough calories drawn look" and "Love handles from eating too much".
I also have a major problem taking in enough calories per day to increase on my size of 210 lbs. I just can't eat as much as many people do and when I do, it seems to go to my waist.
sad.gif

So anyway, I don't think that people here are ignoring you, I just think there are many of us that are dealing with the same issues and aren't real sure on the answers either.
Good Luck
Firm

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little leery. I don't want to turn in to a big fat pig, but I also want to give the program a chance to work. I guess I'll monitor closely and adjust accordingly. Dennis

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I guess I'll use whey protein and maltodextrin pre workout.
Should i then use whey protein and dextrose post workout? Can I use soy? What is
a good source of dextrose and is it different from maltodextrin? Are smarties or
sweet tarts dextrose?

Hi dmgwalsh,

I'll try to help.
I would use whey protein and fruit pre workout.
Try to mix some cottage cheese into the whey protein / dextrose post workout drink.

As far as getting bigger here's a diet from this site:

eating for size

I think you'll find you will need a few more calories on HST.
(Yes my love handles do grow on this diet)

Give it a shot, you can always "cut" next cycle.

Mikeh

THANKS for te reply. Do I eat similar calories on nonworkout days? Dennis

When "bulking" yes I do (you grow / recover on rest day)

When "cutting" I eat a little less on non workout days
(no pre / post carbs)

Mikeh

Back